Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan 1962 Dodge Dart--Update 10/04/16

DR JAY

Love those headers you should a how too how you made them. And the wiring on the motor and chassis is A1 in my books

...Back in my younger days, I used to wrench on dirt stock cars and we had no pipe bender--we filled the pipe with sand so it wouldn't kink and used one of the many trees behind the shop as a fulcrum. (We never built cages that way, just bent up pipes for repair purposes)  Kinda the same deal here with the aluminum tubing i used, except I slid paper clips into the tubes before bending and used the bit of paper clip sticking from the pipes as pins to hold the header flanges in place and attach the headers to the cyl heads. The collectors were  spare parts and the flanges were just styrene. Both sides took an evening. The toughest part was bending them up in such a way so they would fit the holes in the fender wells  and line up with the heads when the engine was dropped in around them--just like a 1:1. I usually use solder, but didn't have enough to do both sides. Thanks for the compliments everyone. Kinda proud of this one...

I saw the title of the thread and was "why a 62 Dart". Now I think I want the real car, it would be the ultimate street sleeper.

As I am just starting back into the hobby, I love seeing all the detail that goes into a proper build. Really appreciate when the builder explains how they did it.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I still have some small details to add...like the door and trunk locks. I'm otherwise calling this one finished. More pics will be Under Glass. Thanks for all the compliments--this build took 2 months to the day and was the fastest I have ever done a project like this.

DSCF4041.JPG

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...