Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby a great place to go if you're just starting out or getting back in the hobby.

That is entirely incorrect. HL plays nothing but religious music, mostly contemporary Christian.

Not at the HL here.

And if so... so what? You're going to boycott a store based on the instrumental muzak they play? Seriously? :rolleyes:

That is entirely incorrect. HL plays nothing but religious music, mostly contemporary Christian. It is all instrumental music though, so if you aren't aware of the source, you'd never know it.

I find it interesting that this comes up again on Independence Day.

And there is a cross display of them in all sizes for crafts..   My first thought was if your dog died, you could get a cross here.

Not at the HL here.

And if so... so what? You're going to boycott a store based on the instrumental muzak they play? Seriously? :rolleyes:

I do not care what music they play. I do not care what their religion is. That is not why I do not shop there.

And there is a cross display of them in all sizes for crafts..   My first thought was if your dog died, you could get a cross here.

Walmart, Pennys, Sears, K-Mart, etc. sell Christmas trees. Do you refuse to shop in all of those stores, too?

Walmart, Pennys, Sears, K-Mart, etc. sell Christmas trees. Do you refuse to shop in all of those stores, too?

I know that wasn't addressed to me, Harry,  but I love Christmas stuff, and buy more decorations every year. HL has one of the largest single collections of Christmas stuff I've ever seen in one store, and it's the first store on my list for those items every year. To me, the fact that it's owned by folks of the Christian faith, is a big plus, certainly not a minus.

Yesterday HL sent me a special 4th of July e-mail that was basically a piece of religious propaganda.  Full of alleged quotes about Christianity from famous Americans, and offering a free Bible download.  Since it didn't have a 40% off coupon attached, I just laughed at it and deleted it.

I didn't see one of my favorite quotes:  "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." - Thomas Jefferson, "Notes on Virginia," 1782

There is absolutely no "show of religion" at HL.

The employees don't wear crucifixes. They don't play religious music on the sound system. Nobody says "Bless you." There is no "Jesus aisle." In fact, they don't sell any religious items at all! It's like any other store, and if you didn't happen to know that the ownership is Christian, you could never tell by what you see in the store.

HL carries all sorts of cool stuff, and anyone who refuses to shop there based on some sort of personal "litmus test" is doing themselves a huge disservice. You go to HL to buy the products they carry... not to convert to the religious beliefs of their ownership! And nobody there will try to convert you. :rolleyes:

Well said.....They do not wear their 'faith' on their shirt sleeves....if you understand that. 

And it is correct they play light pop christian based music.....but much of it is indistinguishable from typical retail muzak.....no in your face music, signage or verbiage.   

I boycott a number of movies if certain people are in the film. My loss.....or maybe the studio's loss of cash. Either way MY choice.  I don't get om the net and rant about those actors....or the films....I just ignore and not pay my money. I wish Hobby Lobby was treated the same way.  The retailer has done much less harm to this country than a number of 'famous' people have.  I have a few friends that make a decent living working for HL......what's wrong with that?? Thanks.

I first started using HL after I learned on this forum that you could use coupons to buy stuff. Having returned to the hobby after a 40+ year absense, I thought it was a great idea. Pegasus is a little over an hour away and they are real expensive to me. I like being able to go in, look at my options, look in detail at the products and decide what to buy. The Internet is convenient but also like I've read on here, supporting your local hobby shop is a good thing. There is a Hobby People, two towns over but I don't really like their selections. HL, while also having a small selection, also offers other items like airbrushes (which I've yet to buy), paint, Evergreen plastics, and even bead wire for the extra touches. I've never noticed religious music nor knew they were Christian owned until I read it here.

i guess my point is, so what if they are Christian owned. There is only one reason I can think of for hating them for that. Just my opinion.

Edited by Oldmodelmaker

i guess my point is, so what if they are Christian owned. There is only one reason I can think of for hating them for that. Just my opinion.

actually, there are lots of reasons for not supporting them.  I would never shop at Hobby Lobby, I don't 'hate' them, but I won't spend money in their stores. 

Edited by Rob Hall

I'm really surprised that so many of you guys actually refuse to shop at HL because of some sort of personal thing. I don't get it. I don't see what HL has ever done to anyone that would deserve such a negative response. As far as playing "Christian" music in the store, I never even noticed it. And if it's all instrumental, I'd never recognize it as "Christian" music anyway... just your typical in-store background noise.

I'm really surprised that so many of you guys actually refuse to shop at HL because of some sort of personal thing. I don't get it. I don't see what HL has ever done to anyone that would deserve such a negative response. 

I don't see why it would be surprising, there are sound and rational reasons I wouldn't shop there.  But this isn't a forum for political/religious discussion, so I won't get into it here.  

I'm really surprised that so many of you guys actually refuse to shop at HL because of some sort of personal thing. I don't get it. I don't see what HL has ever done to anyone that would deserve such a negative response. As far as playing "Christian" music in the store, I never even noticed it. And if it's all instrumental, I'd never recognize it as "Christian" music anyway... just your typical in-store background noise.

I have to agree entirely. I once noticed they were playing something I recognized from another environment where "Christian" music was the norm, recalled the ownership and the fairly recent controversy, and the fact they're not open on Sunday, and happily went about my business of buying art supplies. The store I patronize is well stocked in that area, also has a ton of craft items that are useful for modeling, and not much selection in model-car stuff; the 40% coupon (and I don't even have to show a church card to use it ;)) is a very welcome saving...usually on things I wouldn't buy otherwise. 

Until someone in the store actively tries to influence my own spiritual position (or lack thereof), or supports violent acts in the name of religion, I just don't see any issue.

I also seem to recall something about "religious freedom" and "free speech" being two of the principles this country was founded on.

It might be good to remember those freedoms apply to people we don't necessarily agree with, too.

And by the same token, at least as it stands today, anyone has the freedom to shop there or not, or to work there...or not...for whatever reason they may find to be in line with their own way of thinking.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

.....gee, I guess jumping into this conversation is a moot point, as we have no Hobby Lobby stores in Canada, at least that I know of.....but, I know at all my local shops they have no religious overtones, don't play music unless its the odd oldies track here and there, and the only praise they want is your bread.....lol,,,,:lol:,,,,,,can I get a hallelujah in this house of plastic......:lol:.......the Ace...........