Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mother's Day Mustang

ANovaScotian

Hey All

First let me wish a Happy Mother's Day to not only my Mom, but to all the Moms out there that take care of us, look after us, put up with us, and love us no matter what.

So, without further ado, let me present my rendition of Revell's 1/24 1964-1/2 Mustang Convertible, enjoy...

url], on FlickrDSCN4539   

DSCN4536

DSCN4528

DSCN4527

DSCN4523

DSCN4518

DSCN4514

DSCN4511

DSCN4508

DSCN4556

DSCN4557

DSCN4555

DSCN4554

DSCN4542

So one day I asked my Mom what her favourite car was, her response was: "A Candy Apple Red, Hardtop 1964 Mustang with a black interior."   Now as you can see, this is a convertible... 3 outta 4 ain't bad, right?

The kit went together well with no real hang-ups aside from some poor-fitting bumpers.  The car was pretty much built out of box with the exception of a Morgan Automotive Details pre-wired distributor, the tail lights which were stolen from AMT's '66 Mustang and the emblem on the trunk lid which was replaced with some photoetch when I lost the kit piece. 

The body was painted with TWO BOTTLES of Clear Red over Titanium Gold followed by a couple coats of Clear Gloss to achieve that nice deep Candy Apple Red colour which I hope comes through in the pictures. The paints used are my go-to Tamiya "acrylics" cut with Tamiya's Lacquer Thinner. The interior was painted flat black with Badger Primer with some Future brushed on the seats to give them a vinyl/leather look and various trim details picked out with Vallejo Chrome.  

All in all a good build, and one I am quite happy with.  Happy modelling and Happy Mother's Day

Regards,

ANS

Now that's a sweet looking Mothers Day ride...l'm sure she will be tickled with your creation, after all...Who wouldn't love a convertible classic like this. Your model is just so appealing in its simplicity, its perfect... The Tamiya candy color is really nice, and suits this model very well.  I like the way Tamiya paints spray when reduced with the laquer thinner as well. The interior is spot on to, it looks almost real. I never was a fan of this kit, but you certainly changed my mind with this build.  Nicely done!!! :wub:

Very, very nice job on a very nice kit. The Revell/Monogram '64/'65 Mustangs are great kits. Like I say, you did a great job on the kit, except for one little minor detail. The backup light below the rear bumper should have white lens, rather than amber like the front turn signals.

Very, very nice job on a very nice kit. The Revell/Monogram '64/'65 Mustangs are great kits. Like I say, you did a great job on the kit, except for one little minor detail. The backup light below the rear bumper should have white lens, rather than amber like the front turn signals.

That would be because I thought they were turn signals... my bad.

Thanks for the comments everyone.