Model Cars Magazine Forum

Minuteman 1971 Mustang decals

Does anyone know if the Minuteman car was real?   I have only been able to find pictures of the model and not an actual car.  I have found pictures of a couple other 71 Mustang pro stock racers but not the Minuteman.  Also, does anyone know where I can get decals for any of these Mustangs?  I would like to build at least one as I have all the parts for several 71/72 Mustangs including the stock grille from Detriot Resin Group.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
doh

I followed drag racing closely in this period. When this kit was released successful Ford pro stock racers were running Mavericks. There were very few full bodied pro stock 71-73 Mustangs. If it was a real car, it had very limited, if any success. 

The Auxier car doing a wheelie on the street is way cool!!!! reminds me of the baldwin motion drag cobra picture of it doing a wheelie on the street.. and the camaro too, which I also think was baldwin motion.

I think the picture is from the 75/80 drag way in Maryland.  It's in a spot where there are no bleachers in the background. There is a guardrail and that's about it.  It's a 1/4 mile track that goes uphill at the end.

Edited by vamach1
typo

[IMG]

....saw this car run at  Dragway Park, Cayuga, Ontario in if memory serves, 1972 at a Pro Stock special event.....it broke 2 passes out of 2....a very beautiful, exciting pro car at the time,,,but not a competitive car compared to most others........the Ace....:)

• 11 months later...

Any early 70's Prostock experts out there?  I plan to build the fictional Minuteman Mustang but from looking at the instructions the only interior supplied is the bone stock one with the standard Mach1 dash, stock rear seats, door panels, center console, roll bar and two small racing seats.  I have to assume this is a joke and the real cars ran a gutted interior with a full roll cage, one racing seat and racing instruments.  The Sunstar 1/18 diecast looks more on the mark as a reference but it still appears to have the stock door panels and maybe dash.  Can anyone provide period pictures or set me straight as to what would be correct for this era.

IMG_0794.JPG

One more picture of the model which may be close to what the roll cage actually would look like.

IMG_0796.JPG

Forget the diecast cars as reference here...they are rarely close to correct....use the actual photos of the car here, and if you look carefully the bar was just a regular single piece, with 2 rear supports.....most bar's in pro cars in the first couple of years were basic, like in a S/S or M/P  car....the Ace...;)

I don't think 10 point cages were not required back then. Probably really only needed a 4 or 6 point roll bar. It's entirely plausible that it could have had at least the door bars going down to the foot box though.

HOWEVER (!) The restored 69 mustang he ran has a roll cage in it. Whether or not it was updated and then left during the restoration I couldn't tell you but there are pictures of it on the web. I searched for Sam Auxier ford mustang and the 69 came up if you want to look at the pictures. Very spartan interior with a sheet metal dashboard. (not factory)

Edited by mr68gts

Thanks for the references everyone.  My google search did not bring up his website with all the great photos.  I have met Mr. Auxier at Carlisle and have a reprint of one of the pics on the 71 Mustang.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Hey Rex, I’m glad to see you interested in this project again. I’m no expert but I am a huge fan of the early Pro Stock cars. A lot changed from 1971 thru 1973 with theses cars. With that said in 71 that all they required was a roll bar and many racers including Jenkins used  bolt in Lakewood roll bar. By 1973 tube chassis’s and back half cars were becoming common. Pro stock required two front seats, optional rear seat. Stock dash and door trim panels. In 71 the hood scoop could only be 7 inches tall. 
 I often have thought that the Mustang would make a cool Pro Stock car, but the Maverick’s and Comets were smaller and lighter. 
I have a couple NHRA rule books I refer to and you can find the Rules on Google. I’ll be following your build, just keep it simple. The first Pro cars were very simple Big motor, little car, Slapper bars and a four speed. 

• Like 1

The minuteman decals are from yesteryear.there available on eBay from seller named raceminded(26757)

I would love to be able to get Sam auxier decals for this mustang if you find them let us know were.

as for the roll bar I would just use .80 plastic tubing and make it look close 

I’ll keep a eye out for a magazine article on this car

• 2 months later...
On 2/24/2022 at 10:35 PM, M W Elky said:

The minuteman decals are from yesteryear.there available on eBay from seller named raceminded(26757)

I would love to be able to get Sam auxier decals for this mustang if you find them let us know were.

as for the roll bar I would just use .80 plastic tubing and make it look close 

I’ll keep a eye out for a magazine article on this car

You wish has come true.  I paid Polecat to make two sets of Sam Auxier decals.  Now that he has the artwork I guess you can buy some for less than I paid but someone had to be the first.  At least I am just about done with painting the body - no fun.

96ABB9D2-9D23-42AD-8547-7FA076F216F5.jpeg

AE728D6E-8A28-40CC-A5C2-A7E9DCCDAB7B.jpeg

• Like 1