Model Cars Magazine Forum

Luxury in the future?

Concept cars usually get designed using the then-current aesthetic, and reality rarely evolves to match the 'advanced' vision of an earlier time.

Yet sometimes a production car winds up looking very close to the concept car. Like the Corvette, for example. Yeah, that doesn't happen often... but it happens. This 1965 AMC concept by Vignale looks a lot like the Javelin of a few years later...

Yet sometimes a production car winds up looking very close to the concept car. Like the Corvette, for example. Yeah, that doesn't happen often... but it happens.

Yes, and the Prowler and the Viper, Countach, many others.

What I was getting at though is this: this Rolls thing is supposed to be a 100-years-down-the-road concept, right?

Look at the 50 or 60 year-old "cars of the future" that were projections of what we'd be driving NOW...

8%2057%20Pontiac%20Firebird%202.jpg

Hmmmmm...doesn't look like much on the road today, eh?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

This 1965 AMC concept by Vignale looks a lot like the Javelin of a few years later...

1966_Vignale_AMC_AMX_Concept_Car_02_zpsu

Actually, that was the inspiration for the production AMX in which the Javelin was created for market first from the AMX for  broader appeal. To this day, a VERY good looking concept, and it's too bad AMC didn't debut this earlier.

Actually, yes the TASCO was "inventive", given that Gordon Buehrig patented a feature of it that wound up giving him a pretty nice retirement income by the 1970's--the T-Top!

Hiya Art!

I meant the Rolls wasn't inventive or new. The TASCO was cool, as was the Lockhart Stutz. TASCO because Buehrig :)

Hoping you're well. I'd call y'all but I can't hear well on phone. PM me.

Doc

Yes, and the Prowler and the Viper, Countach, many others.

What I was getting at though is this: this Rolls thing is supposed to be a 100-years-down-the-road concept, right?

Look at the 50 or 60 year-old "cars of the future" that were projections of what we'd be driving NOW...

8%2057%20Pontiac%20Firebird%202.jpg

Hmmmmm...doesn't look like much on the road today, eh?

Bill, sorry to bother, but is there any kits on this car or some others same?? looks so cool...Thx!

Bill, sorry to bother, but is there any kits on this car or some others same?? looks so cool...Thx!

The only one I know of that's even remotely similar is the Revell Pontiac Club de Mer concept car, built for the 1956 General Motors Motorama. It's a very simple kit, a little underscale probably.

revell-1956-pontiac-club-de-mer-concept-   56pontiac_club_de_mer_03.jpg?52AD169D266

Interesting to see so much pushback on this design/concept. I love it. It's retro, flamboyant, and sleek at the same time. The blender wheel cutouts and underslung headlights are ridiculous vestigial features, but think of them like landau bars--they're pure bling, a historical reference meant to imply luxury.

I guess it's no surprise that I like this design; I liked the Chrysler Atlantic too. It should be immediately obvious that the thing is a concept, a fantasy, not intended to be functional in any way. It's so obviously a sculptural exercise that it's kind of funny to see people getting bent out of shape about it: "this ain't a car!!"  Well...no kidding!

It's almost reminiscent of Syd Mead's futuristic vehicles from the 60s and 70s, and some of the sci-fi vehicles from films like "Minority Report", as well as Phil Saunders' vehicle designs for the latest Tron films.

When I imagine a future full of cars like that and the people who drive them, I realize I'll never be a part of it...I'll more likely be a member of the sewer-dwelling under-class who raids their dumpsters for leftovers and wears shoulder pads made of old bicycle tires.

Syd-Mead-Progressions-Exhibition-Illustr

Interesting to see so much pushback on this design/concept.... It should be immediately obvious that the thing is a concept, a fantasy, not intended to be functional in any way. It's so obviously a sculptural exercise that it's kind of funny to see people getting bent out of shape about it: "this ain't a car!!"  Well...no kidding!

Whether it's a "serious" styling study or purely a flight of fancy is irrelevant. It's just plain ugly.

And while you're right that this is not meant to be any sort of realistic look at future RR models, then the question becomes what's the point? Why spend the time and money designing and creating something like this? What purpose does it serve?

I can think of at least one other good reason...  

normal_the_rocketeer_5_pg.jpg 

Tap it like a magic card, Bill. 

Whether it's a "serious" styling study or purely a flight of fancy is irrelevant. It's just plain ugly  IN MY OPINION

And while you're right that this is not meant to be any sort of realistic look at future RR models, then the question becomes what's the point? Why spend the time and money designing and creating something like this? What purpose does it serve?

FIFY

The point is fun, imagination, enjoyment. People are talking about RR. I doubt you'll ever buy one, but people that may will see this and think about the future as most do. The RR brand is getting buzz, social media hits. THAT's the real purpose, but the flip-phone masses in here won't ever see that. Their loss. 

I don't like it well, I like the Buehrig TASCO better. But I like the Syd Mead stuff Spex84 mentioned, and other dream cars. They're fun, and fun to see what didn't happen. 

Everyone can have an opinion. Just because you disagree, grilling people on what's the pointwhat's the purpose to get them to justify to you their opinion is rude. Some people do it every time, and it gets old. 

Maybe if she was in it and it had 37 liter Griffon power. Hmmmmm. 

RR_Griffon.jpg

Edited by keyser
pic

Seeing a sweet '34 Ford Cabriolet blown to smithereens is the best reason not to watch it (it left a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the picture).

That kinda put me off too, but the production used a non-flying GeeBee replica to destroy, and may very well have used a fiberglass '34 Ford clone to blow up in the scene above too. Editing can do a lot.

The only one I know of that's even remotely similar is the Revell Pontiac Club de Mer concept car, built for the 1956 General Motors Motorama. It's a very simple kit, a little underscale probably.

revell-1956-pontiac-club-de-mer-concept-   56pontiac_club_de_mer_03.jpg?52AD169D266

thank you Bill. found some on ebay, not expensive at all... but if the shipping cost more than the kit itself....:unsure:

anyway thank you:D

Edited by 花火

Whether it's a "serious" styling study or purely a flight of fancy is irrelevant. It's just plain ugly.

Rolls management probably had to give the guys in design /R&D something to stimulate their creative juices besides making rolling bank vaults.