Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1959 Impala - Black

jjsipes

After going to the GM Show up at the Carlisle Fairgrounds last month and seen this beauty, I needed to build one. Always wanted a black on red 59 Impala model.

I had started one years ago but didn't like the way the Black came out or the stickers for the seat patterns. So I purchased another kit and got to work. I contacted Keith Marks and got a set of his red seat insert decals as well. The body had some sink marks on top of the "wings" so I smoothed them. I stripped the chrome off the side trim and glued that in place prior to any painting so that I wouldn't have a chance of making a glue mess on the paint. Then I primed it, got some Tamiya Black and sprayed straight out of the can in the humid 90 degree plus weather. I just sparyed Tamiya clear on it about an 1 1/2 hours ago. More satisfied with it this time around. Hope I don't scratch it up during BareMetal and putting it together.

Thanks guys. I left the body at work over the weekend and have been curiuos as to how much it might have died back in the heat. To my surprise it still looks great. I thought I would try the seat insert decals from Keith Marks today. They look great but the front seat inserts are a little short to align with the way the seat cushions are molded. I have an e-mail into Keith to see if I can get another set that may be longer to fit better. Once that is done, I will hit it with some semi-gloss clear to tone the sheen down alittle.

• 2 weeks later...

Got revise decals from Keith Marks, stand-up guy byt the way, and got them placed. Much better now. Time to move forward with the build. Got the body Bare-Metaled and looks great. Need to get pics and post.

Here is the front seat with revised longer seat pattern decal.

Now to let them dry and then spray some semi-gloss clear on interior.

You're off to a great start, Jason!!!  The black paint looks great and the heat that the body was in should serve to cure the paint much like a dehydrator does.  The seats are looking great as well.  What a major improvement over the kit decals.  Can't wait to see more!!!????????

I have two of these to build, a black/red combo like yours but with a 283 powerglide for a cousin who's husband had one when they were married, and a white/red 348 tri-power four speed one for an uncle who had one that was a match to this combination. Only thing I haven't got yet is a set of '57 Plymouth hubcaps to match the ones he had.

I hope mine turn out somewhere near as nice as yours is.

Edited by horsepower

• 2 months later...