Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big ol' 1/8 '32 Roadster, Channeled: As of 4/2/18, she's going to be 1:1.

Ace-Garageguy

Well, it's official. I just put a deposit on a full-scale '32 roadster body. I've been collecting parts for several years...frame, double-hump heads, block and crank, real OEM forged '32 dropped axle, Jag wires for the front, Finned Buick and Lincoln drums, etc...but waited to pull the trigger on a body until 1) it looked like I'd have time to build the thing in the foreseeable future, and 2) I found a smokin' deal on a fiberglass body shell I could get built more-or-less to my specs.

Only other big-ticket item to save up for is a quick-change. Everything else will be used vintage, junkyard, or fabricated/machined by me (and I'm looking for an early Culver City Halibrand QC, though I OUGHT to run a repop that takes late-model gears and axles).

The only real deviation from a "traditional" car (other than the glass body) will be a 5 or 6 speed gearbox (junkyard). Gots to have long legs for cruising cross-country, and fairly short 1-4 gears for tire smokin'. 

Time to get back on the model, as there are several things I HAVE to work out for the real one.  :D

Full scale American Stamping repop '32 frame rails when they arrived here during some demolition a couple years back...

DSCN3972.jpg

100% American made...

And the repop glass body, a clone of which I'll be dragging back here in a few more weeks...'cept mine will be lacking the bonded-in firewall, floors, and inner door and decklid panels.

fiberglass-body-1932-32-roadster-deuce-hot-rat-street-rod

All that aside, it will still be at LEAST 6 more months before I can start in on actually building the real one.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I dropped the ball back in 2018, far as getting the 1:1 f'glass body went. Just too much other stuff going on like finding and buying the house in Az,. etc.

But I finally arranged to get a body built like I wanted it about 6 months back, and have just been notified it's done, awaiting me to pick it up.

I'll be having it here within two weeks, will post shots of it after unloading.

I'm pretty stoked.    :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I dropped the ball back in 2018, far as getting the 1:1 f'glass body went. Just too much other stuff going on like finding and buying the house in Az,. etc.

But I finally arranged to get a body built like I wanted it about 6 months back, and have just been notified it's done, awaiting me to pick it up.

I'll be having it here within two weeks, will post shots of it after unloading.

I'm pretty stoked.    :D

Exciting!  Congrats!  I’m excited to see it

(PLEASE do a build thread - I’d love to see more of your 1:1-scale work)

17 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Exciting!  Congrats!  I’m excited to see it

I'll be picking it up Aug. 20. Have to rent a van, as I don't want to risk a long run in my daily pickup until she gets her new engine, and the possibility of having the body disappear from the side of the road if I had a breakdown and had to leave it has very little appeal.

Stay tuned.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, gasser59 said:

What's this Bill?? You're in AZ? Whereabouts?

The new place is in the dead center of Mohave county, right on the longest remaining segment of old Rt. 66.

But I'm still working in Georgia, finishing up two long term projects before I finish moving West.

Running WAY behind, as usual.   B)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...