Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 Ford F-350 Welding Truck

The short story is I saw a '57 International welding truck on Bangshift.com, and wanted to try something similar in scale. Since I went a little beyond box-stock, here's a rundown of what's what- 

The engine is a Perkins 354 I6 diesel, scratchbuilt from plastic stock and cast-off kit parts. This engine was available in Dodge trucks as a factory option in the '60's and was swapped into other vehicles later on as well. I'm not thrilled with my fuel lines, as they look more like plug wires, but I'll know how not to do it next time. I also added some underhood bracing, heater hoses, and an ether canister to the engine bay.

The chassis was stretched to match the F-350 wheelbase and 9' bed, and I also modified the suspension for increased ground clearance. 

The wheels are the 8-bolt Dually units from Scenes Unlimited, I modified them to a six-bolt version. I used no-name Monogram radials because I'm pretty sure the '53 bias-ply tires would have dry-rotted by now. B)

I left the interior alone, though there is a white baseball cap with "Noah's" painted on it in red and an auction flyer on the seat. 

The 9' Express bed was completely scratch built from various bits of Plastruct materials, as was the headache rack, which was basically a direct copy of the '57 IH that inspired the project. The running boards were extended to match the bed length and "pockets" for the torch tanks were added to the after ends. I also made a platform for the front bumper, extending it forward, and the factory-style grille guard. A late '20's Lincoln "Greyhound" mascot was taken from a Monogram '32 Ford Roadster. The rear bumper/work platform was also scratchbuilt, and is fitted with an old R&D bench grinder and a vice from the AMT Racer's Wedge (I think). The Hobart welder was also scratchbuilt around the engine from an MPC Hogan's Heroes jeep. Oxy/Acetylene tanks from two kits were used- one set for each side. I may or may not secure them with some smaller chain or perhaps some straps later on- the chains on there now look a tad on the large side to me.  The various lights were coughed up by the spares box, and since a vehicle like this is a rolling fire hazard, an old brass extinguisher adorns each flank. The "Noah's Arc Welding" decals are in the most recent reissue of the AMT kit, so I used them. The truck was done in a simple white paint job, with the fenders and bumpers done in red to tie in the lettering. 

Aaand... that's about it, Vern. This model sat unfinished for almost exactly a year, and then I basically wrapped it up in a coupe of evenings. Motivation... sometimes it's there and all too often it's not. 

13938135_1789566404660750_35986267681478

13962981_1789566514660739_21204441619533

13925956_1789566644660726_78928822169025

13909037_1789566731327384_59687547703384

13938230_1789566864660704_28433033386848

Edited by Chuck Most

Thanks, guys. 

Fantastic model Chuck!!!  How do you make the hoses for the tanks???

Chuck how did you make the Oxygen- Acetylene  hoses on your tanks???

The hoses are just vinyl tubing I had laying around. The stuff that comes with most AMT semi tractor kits is the same material, and even the same diameter, as what I used. I inserted some thin wire into them so they'd hold their shape better.