Model Cars Magazine Forum

Der Ice Cream Bus

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!  I'm waiting for some flocking so I can get the chassis and floor a little further along, but I found some diamond plate photoetch to detail the floor a little:

Next up I'm going to do a little work on the shift knob - I've got a cool idea for that...

Ahh, that's really cool of you, thanks Anthony!  I think I might need the room that the firewall takes for something, but I'm not anti the idea, it might look cool.  It'd save the driver's head from melting from the heat of that Hemi anyway :D

Meanwhile, I modified the shifter with a mini resin cast skull that I made from a part on a Hot Wheels car that I found...

And then started some work on the battery.  it'll be hidden from view mostly, but it's a good chance to practice some detailing

And got around to signwriting the rear window - I cut the kit part in half so that there'd be an opening to sell the ice cream from and designed some signwriting to put on there

I wish my pink flocking would come!  I wanna get the carpet in so I can get the chassis assembled!

• 2 weeks later...

Any more progress?

A tiny bit Joe - my pink flocking came for the carpet - I've just put on a second coat of glue and some more, and as soon as it dries I can start assembling the chassis! 

%7Boption%7D

More progress later!

Edited by CabDriver

Flocking done, interior in, ice cream themed pedals in...

...and ice cream machine in - complete with dirty old rag to wipe up any spillages

There's some more little details to add (some ice cream cones, for one thing) but next I need to get the headers attached to the engine - which I've been stalling on doing because theyre all seperate and they dont look fun to install at all...

• 4 weeks later...

This cutter you talk about what is it what can you do with it and where you get it. By the way great work.

I've got a Silhouette Cameo cutter - it's designed for making gift cards and cutting vinyl stickers, but I've been using it to cut thin Plastruct sheet to make some of the parts you see here.  It takes some computer skills to make decent stuff (just like a real FloJet or whatever would) but it's kinda handy.  I only use it because I already have it though - I wouldnt buy one just for modelling.

I am glad I kept an eye on this.  Really nice work and the graphics and lettering man if I could do some of that just incredible stuff. 

I bet you could do stuff like this Dan!  I'm only a real novice at this - it's just masks and paint.  The key thing, I think, is patience and hanving and idea of what you want to do.  I'm always happy to try and help if you have any questions, but honestly I'm about the 3rd worst builder on this site, so...

Anyway, I finally got a free evening (Christmas is coming, so I've been working hard to make some cash for gifts) and I managed to get the engine mounted and I glued all the windows in place, carefully, with some Elmers.  I cant turn the body the right way up or they'll fall out, but hopefully by morning we'll be ready to start some of the final steps in getting this thing done! :D

Edited by CabDriver