Model Cars Magazine Forum

1954 Maxim 750 Pumper

It's been a while since I posted anything that is new.  The last build finished in June was intense and I've needed a break from building.  But now that fall has really set in and the winter snows will begin (but not yet) the building juices are beginning to flow a bit.  For a long while now I have wanted to augment my '55 Maxim aerial with a pumper of the same style.  The Onset Fire District in my home town had one that was unique in that it had a partial canopy cab.  It is still around, privately owned and the cab has been cut down but the rest is intact.  So here is what the real truck looks like and over the next few weeks I'll be collecting measurements for the build.  I have several detail photos to go along with the delivery photos so there is plenty to work with.  We'll keep posting once the build commences.  A few years back I experimented with making a brass door in 1/25 scale with a working outside handle.   It will be used as a template and somewhat improved upon so that both outside and inside door handles will work.  Expect more brass work on this one.  So keep tuned!  As Ahhhhhnold once said; "I'll be baaaaack!"B)1_001.thumb.jpg.ad77ec47bc2f9e284860da8e

Charles, what will you use as a base  for the cab?

There is really nothing that comes close to the look of a Maxim cab.  So it will be scratch built.  I did it once for the Maxim aerial but used a Kenworth windshield and interior.  But even that won't quite cut it this time.  Square plastic porch railing material will be used for the fenders.  Brass for the hood, doors and hopefully the cab top.  We'll start as usual with the frame, springs and axles.

There is really nothing that comes close to the look of a Maxim cab.  So it will be scratch built.  I did it once for the Maxim aerial but used a Kenworth windshield and interior.  But even that won't quite cut it this time.  Square plastic porch railing material will be used for the fenders.  Brass for the hood, doors and hopefully the cab top.  We'll start as usual with the frame, springs and axles.

A widened 36 Ford hood might work.

Photos and measurements are the only way to go.  Once the cab is measured I can do up some working drawings to go by and begin the construction.  The grill is perfectly round in front so it will be shaped, cut out and have some photoetch mesh installed.  Chrome trim gets added just prior to final paint and then rubbed out to reveal the BMF underneath.   

• 2 weeks later...

Talked with the manager of a camp ground where the current truck is stored.  Will be getting the critical measurements and some more photos this coming Wednesday!  Can't wait to get started on this one.;)

Can't wait to start watching this one. Your brass work is incredible to watch take shape :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Aaron:  Here's a tip for you.  I'm doing up the front axle and it has a lot of small pieces as you will see when I get the photos posted.  Using two different temperature solders has solved the problem of small parts coming off because the solder melts.  I've used the higher temp. solder for the smaller initial pieces and the lower temp solder for the last ones reducing the chance that things will all fall apart.  I don't have a resistance soldering tool for this but it would come in handy!  Maybe Santa Claus has one in his sack he could crop off!:D

As promised here is a photo of the start of the Maxim.  The frame is made of brass strip stock with the top and bottom flanges of the frame rails soldered to the web.  Temporary spacers of strip stock hold the rails in alignment until I see where other components will be located.

The front axle is made of several pieces of brass strip stock and tubing.  The hubs will be cut down once it is known how the wheels will be located.  It will be important to make sure that the tires and wheels are inside the fender openings but not far that they look too small.

The brass work is sitting on a cad drawing of the truck profile done at 1/25 scale.

1 010.jpg

Edited by Chariots of Fire

SWEET! Another incomparable tutorial in the fine art of truck model scratch building! Now if Charlie would only show us how to build the machine he miniaturizes the real 1:1 truck with....................! Keep the details coming Charlie!

That machine is a secret, Tom!  Only the trolls know how it works and they know to keep mum about it!  I'll be sure to keep the build coming.  Next is to get some strip stock to begin making up the springs.

That machine is a secret, Tom!  Only the trolls know how it works and they know to keep mum about it! 

Oh, they can be bribed...;)

I always look forward to seeing your projects develop, and this one will be no different.

The front axle is made of several pieces of brass strip stock and tubing. 

Did you cut and shape the center piece of the I-shaped(?) axle beam just was we see it, then bend the top and bottom sections of the "I" to match the contours?