Model Cars Magazine Forum

Protar Mercedes W196... awful kit...

Nells250

Years ago I purchased a Protar Mercedes W196 kit.  And years ago, I attempted to begin it.  A little work was done in 2012, and it wasn't until 2014 that I finished it.  It was, by far, one of my least favorite builds.  It would take a lot of patience, aftermarket, and scratchbuilt parts to make it special.  Attached are photos of the results...

mb11.21.13_2.jpg

W196_1.9.14_12.jpg

W196_1.9.14_13.jpg

W196_1.9.14_20.jpg

W196_1.9.14_25.jpg

W196_1.9.14_27.jpg

W196_12.11.12_1.jpg

• Like 1

I like this a lot!  It's the kit that challenges rather than falls together that makes us better modelers.

True... I just wish I had the patience/imagination/money I once had to make a kit like this decent.  Still, glad you all think it came out OK!   :-)

W196_16.jpg

• 5 years later...
On 11/18/2016 at 12:04 PM, Nells250 said:

I wish I could figure out how to rearrange the photos so the in-progress ones are first...

After you download all the pictures you wish to post, look for the insert (lower right) on each picture, have your flashing "I" cursor where you want the picture, then click.  I try to download in order, but sometimes skipping around the # to show one part getting assembled, you at least have the option, if all pictures are waiting.

I can see why you aren't enthused.  First thing are the wheels, you can get the Fernando of Portugal real wire wheels, which would triple the cost of the model. 🙄  Then you would be obligated to scratch build a bunch of modifications, and doom finishing it.  When it's on the shelf with other models, it will look fine.

Very nice build execution of an awful kit. I’ve seen these Protar kits at model swap meets and am glad I resisted buying despite the wonderful classic F1 subjects. The wheels/ tires on this 196 are just so wrong.

I got to see Juan Manuel Fangio drive this one while chasing Moss in the 300 SLR at the Monterey Historics Laguna Seca in 1986, a wonderful memory.