Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 January 2017 Product Spotlight

MrObsessive

And.......

Nothing.

The Lindberg Ship kits are all trash. Round2 undercuts all the good work they are doing by going back to the well on these. Not Sure why they do it, and I'd really like to know if it is paying off. I know Hobby Lobby keeps blowing all the excess  Lindberg kits out at clearance prices every quarter. These Lindberg molds are 60+ years old, and are an embarrassment to the company. Even back in the 1980's as a wet behind the ears kid, Lindberg kit were always the last choice. Detail was soft, and things seldom looked quite right. Nothing has improved since then.

Nice to see the Barris Kit, but it is another Non-Starter for me. Change the Tooling back to the original Wilhelm's Wonder, and get back to me.

...and of course I had just located a rare hard to find 1/32 scale Mustang anwhat do they do? They re issue it. Well, that's OK, the new re pop will be built and the original will go into the Lord Air Gtar Museum of Model Memories as a rare bagged version of the Mustang.

Well, let's wait for February then.

Then March. April. May...

As far as kits, it will be the usual...reissues and reissues of reissues w/ new box art.   A formula that seems to be working for them.. a number of other 2017 releases have been discussed in other threads here and can be seen listed for preorder on the vendor sites---such as the '49 Ford coupe, '57 Ford Fairlane 500 2dr, '60 Ford Starliner, MPC Vega Pro Stock, '16 Camaro 1LE, '17 Camaro 50th anniversary, etc...

Edited by Rob Hall

So, is AMT/MPC ever going to cut new kits? I know AMT is doing newer Vettes and Camaros, boring, but what about vintage type stuff? Re-issues are great,but, quite a few of them are repeats that didn't even do well the first time around. 

Just hoping I guess. 

So, is AMT/MPC ever going to cut new kits? I know AMT is doing newer Vettes and Camaros, boring, but what about vintage type stuff? Re-issues are great,but, quite a few of them are repeats that didn't even do well the first time around. 

Just hoping I guess. 

They're doing the last gen Camaro...

They are doing the current generation Camaro also.  3 versions so far (snap, full detail and pre paint), at least 2 more coming (1LE and 50th anniversary)...

That's the one I meant, thought one would refer to current, as last one too, and the gen before that as previous....hmm English is an odd language  ;)

As far as kits, it will be the usual...reissues and reissues of reissues w/ new box art.   A formula that seems to be working for them.. a number of other 2017 releases have been discussed in other threads here and can be seen listed for preorder on the vendor sites---such as the '49 Ford coupe, '57 Ford Fairlane 500 2dr, '60 Ford Starliner, MPC Vega Pro Stock, '16 Camaro 1LE, '17 Camaro 50th anniversary, etc...

I am the last one who has anything against reissues!

But how many reissues of the same kits do I need?

I know they are making only a few kits of newer cars, but, seeing that at one time they made some of the most desirable kits around, and then lost them to retooling, wouldn't it make sense to bring them back? If they can invest in new tooling on kits that will soon be on the discount bin, because honestly, how many stock Camaros can you build, why not invest in more vintage style kits. 

Moebius is proving that there is a market for such kits and is doing them. And if I am going to pay that kind of money, it should not be on a re-issue that did not require a tool repair. 

Moebius is proving that there is a market for such kits and is doing them. And if I am going to pay that kind of money, it should not be on a re-issue that did not require a tool repair. 

Do you see large numbers of fairly new Round-2 products ending up in sales bins, and dealers holding back stocking new releases?

If so, and their current business plan doesn't generate enough profit, they will have to change course, as return on investment dictates "le raison d'être" of their, and any other business for that matter.

But will it be more kits of vintage automotive subjects, not necessarily, it could very well be kitty dolls.

;)

Edited by Luc Janssens

Wow, absolutely nothing. Those Barris kits are still easy to find from the last issue. I guess they are trying to cash in on anything with his name while they can. 

like he said. Nothing this month for me. 

I've got an idea (yeah I know what usually happens when I think but I'll give it another try) why doesn't Revell start releasing all their Roth stuff as a tribute to "Big Daddy" and "Rat Fink"? I know I'd buy a few of everything, and probably a case of the Beatnik Bandit II kits. (The absolute best versions the Mustang II front suspension in 1/25th scale that's ever been done in plastic)

Edited by horsepower

Do you see large numbers of fairly new Round-2 products ending up in sales bins, and dealers holding back stocking new releases?

If so, and their current business plan doesn't generate enough profit, they will have to change course, as return on investment dictates "le raison d'être" of their, and any other business for that matter.

But will it be more kits of vintage automotive subjects, not necessarily, it could very well be kitty dolls.

;)

I don't see them on the discount shelf that much due to the fact that the discount shelves are quickly disappearing, I.E. LHS closings, but some of the large sellers, Hobby Lobby, Hobby People and such do put them up for clearance quite often.

My main point was that I am only able to get so many re-issues before I no longer want any. Some I didn't purchase when they first re-issued them and I highly doubt I would buy them now.