Model Cars Magazine Forum

MK1 VW Golf Cabriolet (finished)

CarlBear

Decided to treat myself at Christmas and get a 1:24 model car, something to keep me busy and out of trouble. I didn't have any specific model in mind, so I nipped down to my local model shop and browsed the shelves.
The MK1 VW Golf Cabriolet caught my eye and so the purchase was made.

20161228_180025.jpg

Having not done any models for a good few years I decided to just dive straight in do it the way I wanted to. I tend to learn better and quicker when I just have a go, rather than reading or watching videos. 

I started cutting bits out and mocking up the body.

20161228_180351.jpg

I knew I would want different wheels and lowered suspension, so I order a set of 15" banded steel wheels.

20170104_202901.jpg

When mocking the wheels on to the body it was apparent I had a slight issue with poke. The wheels came with wider rears, and to get them to fit the car nicely I would really need 2 pairs of fronts (narrower width), these along with a little trimming would fit the arches just right. So I ordered another set of the wheels.
For the car colour I decided to go with a period correct red. I'm pretty pleased with the results for saying I haven't done it for a while, there are plenty of flaws with the job but I'm pleased.

20170111_230327.jpg

The wheels fit better now and look better with the matt black centres and gold bolts.

20170111_230437.jpg

Next I tackled the engine. I was thinking about getting a VW 16v turbo engine for it, but though I'd stick with the standard engine for this build.

20170117_074755.jpg

20170117_074740.jpg

20170117_074746.jpg

This is where I am up to in the build now, next up is the interior.

Sorry for the quality of the images, will try and use my proper camera for the next lot of update images. 

Edited by CarlBear

Decided to treat myself at Christmas and get a 1:24 model car, something to keep me busy and out of trouble. I didn't have any specific model in mind, so I nipped down to my local model shop and browsed the shelves.
The MK1 VW Golf Cabriolet caught my eye and so the purchase was made.

20161228_180025.jpg

Having not done any models for a good few years I decided to just dive straight in do it the way I wanted to. I tend to learn better and quicker when I just have a go, rather than reading or watching videos. 

I started cutting bits out and mocking up the body.

20161228_180351.jpg

I knew I would want different wheels and lowered suspension, so I order a set of 15" banded steel wheels.

20170104_202901.jpg

When mocking the wheels on to the body it was apparent I had a slight issue with poke. The wheels came with wider rears, and to get them to fit the car nicely I would really need 2 pairs of fronts (narrower width), these along with a little trimming would fit the arches just right. So I ordered another set of the wheels.
For the car colour I decided to go with a period correct red. I'm pretty pleased with the results for saying I haven't done it for a while, there are plenty of flaws with the job but I'm pleased.

20170111_230327.jpg

The wheels fit better now and look better with the matt black centres and gold bolts.

20170111_230437.jpg

Next I tackled the engine. I was thinking about getting a VW 16v turbo engine for it, but though I'd stick with the standard engine for this build.

20170117_074755.jpg

20170117_074740.jpg

20170117_074746.jpg

This is where I am up to in the build now, next up is the interior.

Sorry for the quality of the images, will try and use my proper camera for the next lot of update images. 

I love how you're building this!! Q: Are those wheels and tyres from Aoshima?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone.

Mynio76 - Look forward to seeing your build.

Dann Tier - The wheels are Tecchin from Hiroboy. 14" banded steels with stretched tyres. 

I'm hoping to get the running gear painted and installed tonight. Subframe, wishbones, rear beam, exhaust etc.

As a huge fan of water cooled VWs, I'm loving this one. I have this one, and started in last year a s a dual build with the Rabbit hardtop. But that idea stalled, so I'm only working on the hardtop right now.

Much like you, lowered height, new wheels are a must. Really like your idea of scraping up the chassis. That idea hadn't even dawned on me. And having owned several lowered VWs and having replaced many oilpans, I should have noticed that right away!

Looking forward to seeing yours done!