Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Chevy Proton- A Fictional Nuclear Powered Car (Photos Restored)

David G.

In addition to building models, one of my other hobbies is playing video games. One of my favorites is the Fallout series. The series is set in a post-apocalyptic alternate future in which nuclear energy was developed into an power source for just about everything... including cars. For those who may be interested, I have a build progress page here.
Images like the one below are the inspiration for my current project.

12_58_Proton_00a.jpg.22e4b4f990090aa959541e0826cda3e8.jpg

These images were taken from the video game Fallout 3 or from websites created and owned by Bethesda Softworks, the copyright of which is held by Bethesda Softworks or ZeniMax Media. All trademarks and registered trademarks present in the image are proprietary to Bethesda Softworks or ZeniMax Media. The use of images to illustrate articles concerning the subject of the images in question is believed to qualify as fair use under United States copyright law, as such display does not significantly impede the right of the copyright holder to sell the copyrighted material and is not being used to generate profit in this context.

This build is the fusion of two Revell kits, the 56 Nomad for the front and the 58 Impala for the rear.

12_58_Proton_27.jpg.c0a0dc841d1868d3056e62f5f2a4d9af.jpg

The profile is a little unusual but I think it works.

12_58_Proton_28.jpg.1651833d17b72418759fd5e39688f293.jpg

The nuclear reactor is in a removable pod between the rear fenders which house the water tanks. The nuclear reactor heats water to drive a steam turbine powering electric drive motors and recharging on-board batteries.

12_58_Proton_32.jpg.a40a68f8f544ea0503281eafadb9489f.jpg

In the rear is the steam discharge main vent and third brake light. The rear steam vent may seem a little over the top, but hey, it's 1958, right?

12_58_Proton_30.jpg.a81e7c21cde4ed5348e0513bfbd9dd4e.jpg

Left side.
12_58_Proton_31.jpg.4d4534a5015d58108cd16f1dd5ec44f2.jpg

In the top of the Power Pod is the main air intake and turbine generator.

12_58_Proton_29.jpg.6957558a0259fa6d622b5231db1d3523.jpg

With the power plant in the rear, the trunk is in the front. There's a power regulation valve and meters, washer fluid reservoir, and brake master cylinder. The spare wheel is under the hatch in the floor.
12_58_Proton_33.jpg.6a337e72b2e13e6c86db1683ca78cd16.jpg

Undercarriage with spare wheel well, central control channel and lower power pod section with trans-axle.

12_58_Proton_35.jpg.a1247316a204a5d3c6193a6fca24a8e2.jpg

Finished and resting proudly in my display case.
12_58_Proton_36.jpg.6d17813da61aeb78ce7506720bdfbc36.jpg

I started this project in October of 2009 and it was my main inspiration for returning to one of my childhood passions of building model cars.  When I began building the Proton, I had a vision of what I wanted it to look like and a good idea for a starting point, but no firm plan of how to get there. Everything in between was a hazy muddle of plastic, paint and putty.  But I moved forward addressing one problem, issue or task at a time. There were several times that I hit a point where my ambition exceeded my ability and I had to set it aside and work on other projects. After a time though, the Proton would flow back into my thoughts and I would find a desire to pick up the project once again finding that an issue that once seemed insurmountable was much easier to address.

Looking back, I see this model as a measure of my progress over the past seven plus years. I see things that I could have done better and things that I would now do differently. But mostly, I see how much my skills have improved and how much I've learned- most of it through being a member of the Model Cars Magazine Forum community. Mahalo!

David G.

Edited by David G.
Photos Restored
  • Thanks 1

To fricken cool. I like how the whole theme just works ,,especially all the under chassis details . And the turbine idea works really well with the overall shape of a 58 impala back end

Although I have a feeling that rear license plate wouldn't last long on acceleration

CRAZY BUILD!!!!  Excellent job!

Thank you Steve.

To fricken cool. I like how the whole theme just works ,,especially all the under chassis details . And the turbine idea works really well with the overall shape of a 58 impala back end

Although I have a feeling that rear license plate wouldn't last long on acceleration

Thank you Bill.

For the rear steam vent I imagined something more like a street vent in New York City and less like a jet thruster. The diffuser veins would dissipate and bleed off much of the force.  After all you wouldn't want to boil the paint of the hood of the car behind you... or would you? :D

David G.

That's pretty unique. It has it's own version of "Mr. Fusion".

Thank you Michael. This one is fission rather than fusion- think Chernobyl on wheels. :D

That is an excellent model and a very original idea.

Thank you Richard.

Very creative !

Thanks Ray.

Talk about a Home Run!  What a great build, and the story of your growing skills as a builder makes it so much better. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Alan, I'm glad that you liked the story too.

Well David it turned out super cool.  very unique build.

Thanks Dave, I' glad you like it.

Spiffy_zpsjqf5iyi7.jpg

Thanks Mike!

David G.

Wow, well thought out & executed. I'm really digging this.

Thank you John.

That is pretty cool!

Thanks Steve, I'm glad you like it.

Not bad, you need a Corvega next.

That's kind of what I was shooting for with this one Eric. It's as close as I could get without scratch building it from the ground up. Maybe someday.

This thing is awesome!

Thank you Anton.

Stone cold cool and really nice model David....

Thanks for the compliment Carl.

David G.

I like the way you blended the two bodies and made it look like that is the way it should be. Very imaginative power concept.

Thank you David. It was a lot of work, I'm glad you like it.

This is so freaking cool!

Thanks Michael.

Well done, looks like this was a lot of work and a lot of planing.........Awesome!

Thanks Dan. There was probably more problem solving than planning. But work? Yeah, definitely work.

David G.

• David G. changed the title to 1958 Chevy Proton- A Fictional Nuclear Powered Car (Photos Restored)