Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who deletes the various Threads every day??

There used to be 3,4,5, or more pages of various topic threads every day.  Lately there are maybe 3 pages, if that many.  I'm just wondering who, or which Moderator is doing the "daily cleanup" on the Forum.  I understand that pages have to be deleted at some point, but it just seems that someone is being "overly efficient" at it.

When I log on to the forum, I use the 'New Content' feature which shows all new comments for the previous 24 hours.  This is now down to 5 or six pages, whereas it used to be ten or more.

I guess there is less traffic on here now compared to the golden days of a few years ago.  Posts are frequently by the usual suspects, a hard core of 30 or 40 members.  A minute percentage of members seem to contribute, much like model groups on Facebook.

Unless he's no longer assuming the duties, Xingu (Michael Hill) is a moderator.

Interesting,  his account never indicated that he was/is a mod,  I wonder if that was done on purpose, or if the updated software no longer has a moderator group or changes the user's account info over to show moderator.    That is helpful for users when they need to contact someone from the forum and knowing who to contact(like a mod). 

Edited by martinfan5

Still a Mod. As far as I know, nobody is deleting threads (except duplicates). Members can hide threads that they started, but that has not happened very often. Weather is starting to get nicer and folks are ending their winter hibernation and heading outside. Post counts will generally dip this time of year.

Dave forgot to change my title to Moderator when I first accepted the position. He just hasn't made the change yet (he also needs to update the remainder of the staff list).

The thing that kills me is the number of threads that are missing the pictures.  There are a lot of beautiful models that nobody will ever see again.

I don't think anyone removes threads, I believe the very first post still exists on the board!   I was reading one of my build threads from 2013 the other day.

Pictures go missing for a number of reasons.  First, each member has a very limited photo hosting limit on this site.  So people delete their photos to post new ones.  The proper way to post photos on the board is to post them on your own photo hosting account elsewhere.  Some guys do this, but then abandon that account eventually. You'll see that on older threads. I put mine on my Fotki account.  When Fotki moved their operations to the Ukraine,  a lot of photos got shuffled between server locations.  I've found incorrect photos on my posts on several different sites.  

One thing that I have been doing is deleting my own threads.  The originator has the power to do that.  I don't do it often, but sometimes others just get out of hand or way off topic and I decide that enough is enough so "poof" gone.  I also like to clean up my own activity.  If I take photos off of Photobucket I will try to remember to delete the old threads.  Just a courtesy to the site.  The more disused old threads out there, the slower it is.  

Edited by Pete J.

Still a Mod. As far as I know, nobody is deleting threads (except duplicates). Members can hide threads that they started, but that has not happened very often. Weather is starting to get nicer and folks are ending their winter hibernation and heading outside. Post counts will generally dip this time of year.

Dave forgot to change my title to Moderator when I first accepted the position. He just hasn't made the change yet (he also needs to update the remainder of the staff list).

Michael has a point about the weather and many going outside. When it gets real hot everyone comes back in and builds models again...

Surprised anyone would delete their old posts. I don't even have enough time to read all the new posts, much less be concerned with deleting my old stuff.
In the grand scheme of life, if everyone kept deleting the past, we would have no history. For instance, all those neat old car photos would be gone.

Edited by Jon Cole

I'm also saddened that members regularly delete their older posts.  That is lost info which will never come up on a search.  I'm actually surprised that this forum allows deleteing. Other forums I participate in do not allow for deleting threads (unless it is done by the moderator).