Model Cars Magazine Forum

Self Propelled Semi Submersible

Traditionally the Chiefs Mess on a boat will get a gift for the Captain to be presented at the Change of Command ceremony. Our first patrol with the current Captain we were the first Coast Guard Cutter to catch 2 Self Propelled Semi Submersible's (SPSS's) in one patrol. I have been working on this for the last few days. I tried to build it similar to the actual construction which uses a sailboat hull and framework built up at the gunwale then fiber-glassed over. A conning tower is built above the cockpit, exhaust, seawater discharge, and air inlets come out aft of the tower and the hatch to the bow is bolted in place. I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

17287293630831707735_zpsdem4lps1.jpg?t=1

Here is an SPSS, add 12,000 lbs of cocaine and it would only have about 5 or 6 inches of freeboard.

cocaine_boat_zpsceigybqs.jpg?450

I started out with the Revell North Sea Trawler since it had a single screw and straight bow with a bit of overhang on the stern.

1s_zpsd1xhpfof.jpg?465

I took 3 inches out of the center and rounded the sides. I also made the stern pointed (not shown here).

2s_zpsh8r5wwnu.jpg?856

Frame work to support the deck. These are typically built in the jungle.

3s_zpsioddn135.jpg?842

The start of the cockpit.

4s_zpso4kuurtt.jpg?264

5s_zpshgxkiivd.jpg?126

6s_zpsjtfq45k3.jpg?530

Most of the time they will try to reuse as much as they can from the sailboat they start with.

7s_zpsdrep00cy.jpg?712

Work on the conning tower with opening hatch.

8s_zps5u27kphk.jpg?633

9s_zpsdiiupl9n.jpg?379

Fitting the tower.

10s_zpslzjysrbc.jpg?275

11s_zpseopkg5vl.jpg?818

The exhaust also gets wrapped in fiberglass, maybe they are trying to mask the heat signature.

12s_zpstt4e6h4s.jpg?928

This is were it is know, I need to rough it up a bit so it looks like fiberglass work that's been done in the jungle. and then paint and weather it.

Edited by MGL

Some progress today after a false start. I was attempting to simulate fiberglass with dryer sheets and epoxy and it was way out of scale so I just sprayed the paint from a distance to get a bit of texture to it. I also tried the hairspray chipping technique for the first time and it worked out well.

13s_zpsqydt7luq.jpg?t=1492052652?64914s_zpswipnujbl.jpg?t=1492052652?14215s_zpswavheljr.jpg?t=1492052652?224

16s_zpsfzrsbwyd.jpg?t=1492052652?14717s_zpsipp2m04v.jpg?t=1492052652?58318s_zpsulieovni.jpg?t=1492052652?183

I still need to give it a coat of semi-gloss, paint the screw, and install the windows. I didn't realize I was out of semi-gloss, I guess that means I have to go to the LHS tomorrow.

For your next project, some cheap toilet paper (like they use in work bathrooms) soaked in diluted Elmer's Glue will simulate randomly applied fiberglass quite nicely...that is if you wish to do such a thing.

Edited by lordairgtar

• 1 month later...

Here is the finished plaque with the SPSS mounted.

f1_zpsvj8udyo6.jpg?478

f2_zpsslfxby8b.jpg?865f3_zpsi8fykpql.jpg?371f4_zpsayhdb9vv.jpg?604

For the painting I Painted a white background on the plaque and mod podged the picture over that, then painted it, then to bring out the details and sharpen it up I mod podged the picture over it again. I was trying for the look of a painting with out hiring a painter.

• 1 year later...