Model Cars Magazine Forum

'61 Ranchero (Old 60's Custom Rescue)

Greg Pugh

John, I'm going to use it but I'm going to have to go through quite a bit to do so. Admittedly, I really like it. But it doesn't fit worth a darn. And it's really glued down! Lol.

So, I'm going to have to carefully grind it off using my dremel. Then I'll use the one from the newer kit but I'll work it over so that it snugs down nice and tight. I will be painting the whole roof white and on the Klingon, I'll paint the center section a gloss white and the upholstered part will be done in a flat white.

Although, another idea I have is to just use the center section and graft it onto the roof, leaving out the upholstered wings. Mmmmmm....

Well, this is what I came up with. I think it cleans it up quite nicely.

IMG 2665

I was able to remove the custom top from the roof by working it very carefully as to not to do any damage to the roof itself. It will require some filler to fix the pitting caused by the glue that was used but it went pretty good. 

IMG 2666

I removed the upholstered panels from the rear-facing scoop and I will end up just attaching the scoop as seen by itself.

IMG 2667

IMG 2669

IMG 2670

Bet it was a relief to find so little damage! By the way, remember the trim on the back edge of the roof should be flush with the roof, not sticking up.

Yup. I'm about to sand that thing off one I'm working on.

How about turning the back of that roof part to the front so that the grills are facing the front, then at the back of the roof vent you can add a small vent inside the roof to act as a vent system to bring fresh air inside the cab

How about turning the back of that roof part to the front so that the grills are facing the front, then at the back of the roof vent you can add a small vent inside the roof to act as a vent system to bring fresh air inside the cab

If I HAD to have it, I'd leave it the way it is, and paint the rear of it stoplight red like a huge CHMSL.

Ya know John, I think this is why I love your work so much. We think a lot alike. Lol. I was staring at the car and the roof scoop quite a bit yesterday and I had this same thought. I think it would make a huge difference to lower it's height. I think it would flow better. Great idea!

• 4 months later...

I know this isn't that exciting but I've been so busy lately, that any progress is exciting to me! I was able to get the interior tub, the tonneau cover, and the chassis plate painted yesterday. I'm hoping to have some more spare time in the next few months so I can get back going on this. 

IMG 4528

• 3 weeks later...

The original wheels and tires were too far gone, so in keeping with the original builders vision, I went back with chrome reverse wheels and thin whites, courtesy of Pegasus. I didn't have to do much to get the ride height dialed in as it was already set up "just right". I just had to make sure all four tires were on the ground this time around. 

Very nice work.  Perhaps something could be done where the lower front fender meets the nose.  It looks rather abrupt - how about rolling it into the front pan? maybe a filler piece...

That was always the plan. I had only had a chance to hang the front end on and rough it in in the earlier pics. I spent some time yesterday finishing it up a bit. Still some work to do but it looks so much better now.

Edited by Greg Pugh