Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 AMC S/CRambler

satterwhite78

A Johan kit I picked up a year ago at a swap meet. On the box was the Pro Street version but more or less stock. Shortly afterwards I discovered that Firebird Designs carried the AMC Scrambler scheme.  Actually AMC in 69 came out with two version, the A trim and the B trim.  The A trim with the bold Red side and wide blue stripe running down the middle of the car while on the hood was mount a "snorkle" of a hood scoop. On both sides of the snorkel were the inscription "AIR" with the beginning of the hood stripe coming to a point with the indication of a 390 cid lurking below.

The 1st batch AMC made total 500 production in the A scheme before switching to the B scheme (500 production) which was more sedated then 512 of the original A scheme, for aq total of 1512. Teaming with Hurst Performance, the SC/Rambler was specifically made and promoted for NHRA F/Stock class.  Standard  equip  came with a 390 cid ( 315 hp) mated to a 4 speed manual with a limited slip differential. The SC package came also with front dics brakes, a heavier sway bar, reinforced drivetrain and body components and a standard Sun Tach mounted with a stainless steel clamp to the steering column.  A bare bones production model, the only option that could be added was a AM radio.  A precursor and the original manufacturer built for the drag strip to the buying public.

Overall, a fun kit to put together. The plastic axles, especially through the engine, is a little of a turn off but a small one. I sanded the door handles off to get the decal to lay down smoother w/o having to work around them but replace them with door handle out of a Revell Charger. Also included front and rear side marker lights to further enhance.

003_zps3qohfaqt.jpg

006_zpsbuptwnka.jpg

004_zps1y9eapxm.jpg

007_zpsgmd8iw0x.jpg

005_zpsdaltpllf.jpg

Super nice job!

Those cars were real terrors on the road as they could beat many a unsuspecting driver in an impromptu street match! The AMC club I used to belong to I can only think of one fellow who had one, and he had no problem beating guys in 427 'Vettes and Mopar 426 Hemis. ;)

Beautiful paint job. Just how hot were these cars ? As Bill Geary mentioned they were not to be messed with. I had a '68 Bel Air with a 427 and 4-speed, that weighed in at 4300 lbs., and I didn't even get a good look at the guys tail lights. 

I remember them when they were new, as there was an American Motors dealer not far from my school. The C-P dealer across the street carried many a performance car, and the AMC dealer did well with the performance cars they sold. I have a couple of the kits in my stash, as I want to do both paint schemes. There were a few of them that did not get the paint striping, and many a person got fooled by them, thinking it was a slug. They were quite fast, and an excellent buy for the money.