Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 917-10, Matchbox, 1/32, L+M Donohue

Matt Bacon

A very nice Classic British Kit, for a show later in the year. It's a shame most of these aren't available now, since the variety of subjects and quality of execution is very high.

LM-front-right-high.jpg

LM-front-left-quarter.jpg

LM-right-rear-going-away.jpg

LM-left-rear-quarter-high.jpg

LM-left-profile.jpg

LM-right-front-quarter.jpg

LM-left-side-rear-shell-off.jpg

LM-right-side-rear-shell-off-2.jpg

...and I couldn't resist trying this out, inspired by the David Kimble book on my bedside bookshelf...

sideview-cutaway.jpg

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

Thanks, guys! @Dann Tier actually, the vents weren't so bad. The decals (from an eBay slot car supplier) were very nice -- thin, flexible, and tough. I just pressed them over the vents a couple of times with a hot damp flannel and some Microsol, then once they dried, sliced them with a new sharp #11 blade, and applied the hot cloth again. The vents are coloured in with a black marker -- they don't actually go through, but you can't tell from 2ft away... There are two more significant issues with the decals if you're thinking of trying them out on your own Matchbox 917-10. First, they aren't long enough. I think they must be intended for a moulded slot body that has no undercuts. The body stripes should extend all the way under the wing, and top to bottom on the back, and they should also be on the underside of both the wing and the movable flap. Secondly, they aren't wide enough -- the mirrors are at the outer edges of the stripes, and the inner edges almost touch the name script, with the inner black stripe just outboard of the point of the silver mesh covered intake that looks like a bike saddle in front of the wing. I think if you bought three sets (they are only $7...) you could get enough striping to do the whole thing as it should be!

Thanks, again, all...

best,

M.

• 1 year later...

Very nice model, Matt, with so much detail in this small scale!!!

- I built this one in the mid-70's (it hat Martini decals, which would be appropriate for Herbert Müller's 1974 Interserie car) together with the Jaguar SS 100 and the Bugatti (all three long gone...) - if my gluebomb from wa back had only looked half as good as yours...