Model Cars Magazine Forum

Warped Promos

Is there anything that can be done to "fix" warped promos? I know they are not styrene or resin but, usually, some form of ABS or acetate plastic and over time they warp. Can anything be done to bring these back to the proper shape? I know you can fix resin with warm water but does this work with acetate or ABS? I see so many cool promos that I would like to add to my collection or upgrade by cutting the hood open and adding an engine, etc but some are so badly warped that all 4 tires don't touch the ground at once anymore. Anyone have any remedies?

Just had an idea........cast the warped body in resin, fix the warp in the resin body using the warm water technique then either use that body or make a new mold of the repaired body......expensive rubber wise but if it's the only available way to get certain stuff.....

The problems will still be very much the same:  The original Acetate promo would have suffered shrinkage, unevenly, which lead to the warping.  Unfortunately, casting the warped promo in urethane resin will only serve to transfer those problems to a new medium.

I believe the folks at the Modelhaus based some of their kits on old promos (like their '57 Plymouth); would it be possible to check with Don and Carol to see how they did it?

My guess would be that Don & Carol started with a straight promo.

They are difficult to find, but do exist.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

• 1 month later...

I just ran across something on the web. A fellow was customizing an old promo, and tried removing some paint with 91% Rubbing Alcohol. It softened up the plastic, and then it hardened up again after being removed from the alcohol. This could be a possible solution to promos that aren't a complete mess. 

They do shrink, and in some cases a lot.  Years ago, I had an (acetate) interior from a Jo-Han '62 Dodge promotional, that was in a box of parts I bought.  Just for grins, I fitted it into a USA Oldies kit body...it came nowhere close to fitting.  The interior probably shrank by about ten percent.

The real problem with acetate is that it is full of tiny air bubbles. After some time, the air escapes, the remaining acetate fills the space causing warpage and shrinkage. If you bought a new acetate promo in the 50s/60s and sprayed it with some sort of clear sealer, the air would not escape and the body would be straight. Have you noticed that all the chrome is okay? That is because the chrome plating covered the acetate and stopped the air from escaping. This is the explanation I got many years ago from a friend who was told this by John Hanle.