Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Pinto with serious attitude.

People have been doing it since they were first offered. As with the Vega, short wheelbased cars present a challenge to make hook and go without taking an unexpected turn or jumping straight into the air. My old Vega used to jump until I tamed it correctly. Then it ran 9.5 at 125 or so. There was lots more in it especially MPH since I ran a 4 speed and had to coax it out of the box without setting the tires ablaze.

Point is Pinto's made great drag cars. There is a litany of Hall of Famers who ran them in the 70's. Gapp & Roush and of course Bob Glidden come to mind first.

...Point is Pinto's made great drag cars...

I've always had a soft spot for racing Pintos for some odd reason...both drag cars and road racers. Set up for SCCA, they are remarkably nimble, willing and reliable, and handle a lot better than some of their "sports car" rivals.

pns3.jpg

And of course, as you guys say, more than a few were campaigned as straight-liners back in the dim recesses of time...   

I just haven't seen one lately, and the little guy in the video just sounds so good...B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Owned a 1/1 1972 Pinto.....great car compared to then girlfriends 73 Vega.....

Vega's big car parts on a small car did not work as well as Pinto's R&P steering, dedicated brakes etc were better.

I'll ignore the Pinto gas  tank lore.....all 3 manufactures had a gas tank issue in the 70's. Era of change.