Model Cars Magazine Forum

Terrible Box Art

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Racing Champions era-AMT wasn't exactly moving the bar in the upward direction, and the 2/3 checkerboard-1/3 Dryvit wall texture boxes weren't helping much, either. I don't think the wording was ever proofread, either, as those don't appear to be Rally Wheels, and while you can't even see most of the hood due to the presence of that massive hood scoop, there are no louvers present. And in low-res, semi-blurry pictures, and cheapen the AMT logo even more while you're at it...

IMG_20181227_190858.thumb.jpg.80f546ff972f7f4d0b5e9d507ba9514b.jpg

IMG_20181227_190907.thumb.jpg.f109581c45568ca86f5e5145467faba9.jpg

The incorrectness of this (other than just like the "box of chocolates" Nova I posted earlier you never knew exactly what you were getting in the box) is that while the kit description may or may not be correct if stock 67 Impala is what is actually inside, the box art photos come from the early 90s issues of this kit. That was in the time where AMT was offering the stock kit as one kit and the custom or "street" versions in a separate kit. 

5c26163d56a8d_maxresdefault(2).jpg.401fea2ed1c39af8cdb5d1992aa12bc1.jpg

AMT-8208-2.jpg.5a5f9a7a119444425abd5f81e6137f51.jpg

9 hours ago, AMC ROB said:

Wasn't this style box exclusive to Walmart? Seems like they are everywhere now, but I thought they were discounted Walmart offerings.

Yes, the "checkerboard" boxes were Walmart exclusive, as were "Motorworks" boxes from Revell. 

1_7f30c16cd0b7592de5d276d33e531381.jpg.a164db2879704609a82f4cb6988bd2dd.jpg

11 hours ago, slusher said:

I have no idea why I have never seen one even on eBay....

I believe that this was during the time Binney and Smith, yes, the makers of Crayola, owned Hallmark and Monogram! There where a few other cars in the series and I remember my then girlfriend getting excited and trying to buy me the Monogram '56 Chevy! Good thing I was there to prevent this tragedy!! 

They pop up once in a while at kit shows and I am tempted to try and collect them, but, I have no real idea how many kits where made in this series. 

Not so much terrible box art as confused box art, this one!  The cover of the AMT 33 Willys Panel is pretty cool in my book but what I really need to know is, where can you buy checkered blower belts?

I just happen to be building this at the moment and when I spotted the engine image on the side of the box I just had to share it with you guys!

(and, off topic for a moment, was this the only box art for the panel or were there others?)

Cheers

Alan

IMG_3973.JPG

IMG_3972.JPG

Again not necessarily terrible box art, but it is rather corny.  The only reason I bought it was for the "detailed 6 cylinder", I have been looking everywhere for a detailed V-6 Chrysler engine.  I haven't opened the box yet, it is still sealed, just out of curiosity does this one by chance come with a leaning tower of power 6 cylinder?  The bottom of the box only shows the shadow of one engine block and it looks like a "V" not an "I".

DSC00344.JPG

DSC00345.JPG

Edited by TarheelRick

5 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

Again not necessarily terrible box art, but it is rather corny.  The only reason I bought it was for the "detailed 6 cylinder", I have been looking everywhere for a detailed V-6 Chrysler engine.  I haven't opened the box yet, it is still sealed, just out of curiosity does this one by chance come with a leaning tower of power 6 cylinder?  The bottom of the box only shows the shadow of one engine block and it looks like a "V" not an "I".

That's a typo on the box art.  The kit has a 318/360 V8.  The Volare was long before there was any Mopar V6.

Edited by Rob Hall

7 hours ago, alan barton said:

Not so much terrible box art as confused box art, this one!  The cover of the AMT 33 Willys Panel is pretty cool in my book but what I really need to know is, where can you buy checkered blower belts?

I just happen to be building this at the moment and when I spotted the engine image on the side of the box I just had to share it with you guys!

(and, off topic for a moment, was this the only box art for the panel or were there others?)

Cheers

Alan

IMG_3973.JPG

Never seen that one before--from the fabulous Don Greer! Thanks for posting it! B)

9 hours ago, alan barton said:

Here are three more.  Not sure if there were others.  I remember spotting the "Van-Tastic" box in 1969-70.....I just had to have it.  

AMT T306-200 Willysgd.JPG

AMT-T-210-2.jpg

AMT-31566-2.jpg

3 minutes ago, pack rat said:

Here are three more.  Not sure if there were others.  I remember spotting the "Van-Tastic" box in 1969-70.....I just had to have it.  

AMT T306-200 Willysgd.JPG

I notice on this particular piece of art, the artist returned the lower/forward front fenders to more of the stock contours than the kit has. 

On 11/27/2017 at 4:53 PM, MrObsessive said:

Some folks are really into Gremlins. The only "Gremlin" I'd ever build would be this one......... ;)

amc-amx-gt-concept-05.jpg.7b2c7d264381b9b374d9bb8014396897.jpg
1968_American_Motors_AMX_GT.jpg.04a692ef08f27ccb456a2eaeb5a5bdc4.jpg

THIS is what the Gremlin should've became (sans the wild paint job), but we got what we got and to think that car was around for AMC for a bunch of years, so someone loved 'em!

That does look good. Looks like a modified AMX. 

3 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

Those cartoon models are just plain weird to me.

I don't think it's a "cartoon model, " I think it's just a rebodied Surf Woody, which is actually kind of a cool kit in its way (a parts mine, if nothing else). 

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I don't think it's a "cartoon model, " I think it's just a rebodied Surf Woody, which is actually kind of a cool kit in its way (a parts mine, if nothing else). 

Sorry, I like to build cars that you might see on the street, or race track. I don't know where you'd see this goofy looking thing, with real buckets for bucket seats and hinged body.

5 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

DSC00344.JPG

DSC00345.JPG

What Chrysler V6 are you looking for? 

The AMT Prowler glue kit (as well as the Revell Prowler) comes with a 3.5 V6. These were used from about 1993 to 2010 in many passenger cars (Intrepid, Concorde, later Magnum, Charger and Challenger up to 2010).  You would have to modify the intake, but these V-6’s would give you a start on a 3.5.

Also, there was a V6 that Chrysler made for awhile that was derived from their 318/360. I think they were solely found in Pickups and Vans. My understanding is that these were engineered to use most of the same parts as the LA V8’s, but specific blocks, heads and cranks to make them 6’s. None are available in scale as far as I know, but if you start with the 340 from AMT’s Duster, the 1/24 engines from Revell’s Challenger T/A or Ramcharger, or the 5.2 from Tamiya’s Jeep Grand Cherokee (for later “Magnum” versions), you could conceivably cut one of these down and get a Mopar V-6 out of one of them.

You could always try to cut the V8 from the Volare kit down to make an early 3.9, but you’d be starting with an engine that is underscale to begin with- no wonder somebody in Round 2’s operation thought it was a V-6! 

Edited by CapSat 6

Oh- and one other- the Dodge Stealth. That was a Mitsubishi V-6. I know that Chrysler used Mitsu V-6’s in some of their passenger cars, but I’m not at all sure that they might have been variants of the Stealth engine. You’ll need to research that if you want to use one of those.

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

Actually I am not looking for a Chrysler V-6, that was just a tongue-in-cheek comment about the mistake on the box. 

;)

I’m actually using a 3.5 in a Dart Sport (Model) build. Lots of people hot rod slant 6’s, I think the 3.5 has lots of potential. They were good runners in 4,000 lb. cars, I’m wondering what they would be like in something lighter. 

6 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Actually I am not looking for a Chrysler V-6, that was just a tongue-in-cheek comment about the mistake on the box. 

That (ancient , long-in-the-tooth) MPC representation of the Chrysler LA-Series (273-318-340-360) is so severely underscale that it truly does look like a 25th scale 3.9 litre (239 cube) V6 !