Model Cars Magazine Forum

Terrible Box Art

On 12/20/2017 at 1:05 AM, Junkman said:

Not sure what Yodel was thinking when they decided to kit these, but whenever I see one of those Mopars appearing on a telly screen,
I know exactly that its seconds are numbered.

Great box art, though.

It was the box-art that sold me their Plymouth NYPD kit,  But soon regretted that I didn't open the box in the hobby store before buying it, the Mpc kit is much better.

IMHO Round2 can milk the Monaco tool a bit more, by looking at what Yodel marketed, some new wheels, hubcaps, light bars and decals of prominent worldwide know agencies.

Edited by Luc Janssens

Truth in advertising!  This is the old-tool Revell '56 Chevy with opening everything.  According to a poster who had one, this version built a custom low rider only with a non-stock engine.  The body was molded in that lime-green metalflake on the boxtop, with the chassis molded in white.

bad-drm.jpg

4 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Truth in advertising!  This is the old-tool Revell '56 Chevy with opening everything.  According to a poster who had one, this version built a custom low rider only with a non-stock engine.  The body was molded in that lime-green metalflake on the boxtop, with the chassis molded in white.

bad-drm.jpg

Yup! But I don't think the box art was that bad.

Image result for Revell lowrider bad dream

And the other Lowrider was the '57

Related image

7 hours ago, Mike999 said:

bad-drm.jpg

"Bad Dream" , indeed ! I think that the poor sap who built this thing is still in a rubber room somewhere !

15 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

It was the box-art that sold me their Plymouth NYPD kit,  But soon regretted that I didn't open the box in the hobby store before buying it, the Mpc kit is much better.

IMHO Round2 can milk the Monaco tool a bit more, by looking at what Yodel marketed, some new wheels, hubcaps, light bars and decals of prominent worldwide know agencies.

A nicer (& I think more period correct) light bar was in the MPC Force 440 Monaco. If they could find that light bar, narrow the steel wheels & include narrower tires, that would go a long way.

They seem to like licensing tie-ins- what about reissuing the T.J. Hooker version, or doing a tie-in for "Hunter", or "Hill Street Blues"? I would buy a Hunter kit just for the box art!  

They could always include a small "Taxi" sign, and offer it with appropriate decals (& throw in a hood scoop and custom wheels for fun)...

I got a box of 4 nearly complete Monaco kits at the NNL East two years ago for a price that I couldn't refuse, so I'm taking one of them and cloning the "BigAmerican" car.    

The early Revell offerings of the tri-five Chevrolets were a real mixed bag. Revell went out of its way to offer what at the time was a very advanced and highly detailed kits. They were a little fiddly and that may have hurt them with less experienced modelers. The unfortunate part in my mind is that in trying to offer all of the great details they lost sight of some of the body proportions. The front fenders and especially the hood and grill come to mind. I still have all three, '55 - '56 and '57, and had started the '57 years ago. This was as I recall the most accurate at the time.      

amt-1957-chevy-bel-air-hardtop-original-

This box art will ALWAYS stand out in my mind as one of the big goofs in the modern era. What do you see? A stock '57 Bel Air with some badly molded and undersized C4 Corvette wheels. Some "Street Machine". 

But what's in the box? A fantastic Art Morrison style frame with beautiful four-link. A unique floorpan with mini-tubs and new trunk floor complete with gorgeous fuel cell. A truly modern crate Chevy Big Block connected to a well-molded automatic transmission. Basically, this kit is EVERYTHING a modern fairground street rod Tri-Five wants to be, and nothing on the box top tells you that. 

Close runners up would be the same-period '68 El Camino and '71 Duster Street Machines. Again, beautiful modern performance parts NOT called out on the box top while a barely passable box top build-up with uninspired wheels makes you think it's the same sort of "2n1" kit that the '66 Olds W30 was.

On 11/28/2017 at 6:02 PM, Jairus said:

These days, the shelf at the hobby shop seems devoid of the crappy box art we suffered through in the 80's.  I love browsing through the model kits again.
Not sure what this thread has to offer.

Nope, still out there....

5c09922869bf1_ghoul(1)(1).jpg.184c475c0e55ce9dc050083004236c9e.jpg

20171027_183743.thumb.jpg.20d78fd7150beaba4a01ac622a1f1c8e.jpg

5c0993208d234_AMT38254732Fordexc.JPG.d338a3e8edcd86d0019c1cfa50bb6a73.JPG

It seems the worst box art comes from artists and layout designers that have no clue about the subject matter and just "wing it" hoping it'll be good enough.

It's not!

On 12/5/2018 at 12:51 PM, Luc Janssens said:

IMHO Round2 can milk the Monaco tool a bit more, some new wheels, hubcaps, light bars and decals of prominent worldwide know agencies.

Narrow the wheels, add REAL police decals and most of all....

STOP SELLING IT AS THE GOON CAR!!!

I'm sick of seeing it in purple and green.

34 minutes ago, FordRodnKustom said:

It was a different time. Good art though.

2v22aNpbNx29seC.jpg

Never had that model, but I had a giant toy of that thing--I think it was made by Ideal--when I was a kid. It would fling its "atomic shell" from one end of the house to the other! :blink:

Come to think of it, it might have been somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/25 scale. Hmmmmmmmm......

4 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

Snake's build actually reminded me of another one. 

See, MPC originally got this VERY right with a lovely illustration of a landmark concept car...

MPC-500-2.jpg

Which they then torpedoed trying to get another go-around out of the tooling by releasing this...

vintage-mpc-custom-corvette-mako_1_e1f95

This one was a slightly better re-issue before the Vector Wheels

Related image

On 11/29/2017 at 10:21 AM, Rob Hall said:

The Corvette America is a fascinating oddity..I picked up a mint unbuilt one for less than $50 last year.  

Mono-2269-2.jpg.a9fd2e71287d051f8979e350d9691f9a.jpg

I bought one sealed for $5 at a kit show some years back. I bought it because it was cheap and I remembered seeing it in the toy store as a kid.

I didn't know it was "collectible"

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

This CAN'T be real - that's hilarious!

SoryTurd sure is real!  I found it while looking at eBay "Ending Soonest" items one night, and grabbed that pic.  I just checked and it's not on eBay now, so maybe somebody actually bought that thing.  If you do an eBay search on "ARII 1/20 off-road car series," you might find some others in the same series. Like the "Hurrycane."

hurcane.jpg

Edited by Mike999
error2