Model Cars Magazine Forum

Terrible Box Art

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Thanks for the Palmers.  Here's a 4-car set from Palmer's ugly sister, Premier.  Though Premier did a couple of not-bad kits: the 1/32 scale 1907 Mack stake truck and the 1/25-ish Corvair Rampside.  These 4 were supposed to be 1/32 scale.  Something tells me the kits aren't nearly as good as the box art...

prem_com.jpg

Here's a photo of a built-up Premier kit of the Corvair (photo courtesy of Tom Geiger). This one looks like it was mastered by someone on LSD?

IMG_0410.JPG

23 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I got quite a few Palmer kits as gifts when I was kid. I think their box art was aimed at older non car enthusiasts adults, who would see things like Thunderbirds doing wheelies, and think those were what us car crazy kids wanted. Plus, the Palmer sold for 98 cents. Rather than $2.00 for the good AMT or MPC kits. You can get two Palmer kits for the price of one AMT or MPC. What kid wouldn't be more happy getting two kits? Rather than just one? Talk to old model guys. I don't know of anybody who ever bought Palmer after owning just one. And yet a lot of guys had a few Palmers in their collections. I had several back in the day. Always given to me by someone caring person who knew nothing about cars or models. "Oh, little Scotty will like this. It has a car doing a wheelie on the box. All the kids are in to that now days. Scotty will love it." Wrong! But, one has to be polite and thankful. After all, they think enough of you buy you a gift they thought you would. That's my belief why Palmer bothered. They sold a few. 

Reminds me of the Christmas when I got TWELVE models! Everyone a 49¢ Pyro 1/32 (more-or-less) kit.

I also remember getting a handful of Palmer kits on a different Christmas.

But the thought was there.

Edited by Reegs

I posted this a while back, but for those who missed it...here's a full-color guide to every kit Pyro ever made (I think).  They had a huge and diverse product line: cars, aircraft, animals, figures, 1:1 scale guns, etc. etc.

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/blog/plastic-model-kit-history/the-kits-of-pyro-plastic-company-an-illustrated-guide/

I bought the Pyros regularly as a kid.  They were cheap, they were everywhere, and I really liked the subjects.

The two times I got Palmer kits were as gift.  THe thought was there, but they really are the model version of socks for Christmas.

I saw Premier kits in a store once, and they were old even then.  I didn't buy them, which turned out to be a wise decision.   They had some interesting subjects, like the Allard and the Kaiser-Darrin, but the execution looks to be petty horrible.

54 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

The two times I got Palmer kits were as gift.  THe thought was there, but they really are the model version of socks for Christmas.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It's the thought that counts. And if Palmer kits are in the picture, the thought was obviously, "I had to get you SOMETHING...." :lol:

I posted this a while back, but for those who missed it...here's a full-color guide to every kit Pyro ever made (I think).  They had a huge and diverse product line: cars, aircraft, animals, figures, 1:1 scale guns, etc. etc.

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/blog/plastic-model-kit-history/the-kits-of-pyro-plastic-company-an-illustrated-guide/

Thanks for that link. Very interesting and entertaining, a real walk down Memory Lane. B)

Very cool. I have the Pyro 1/24 motorized Beetle. kit is complete, including motor. Was my father in law's, found among his comic and magazine collection after he passed, along with a pile of vintage WW2 plane kits. Will build it one day. :)

22 hours ago, ToyLvr said:

Here's a photo of a built-up Premier kit of the Corvair (photo courtesy of Tom Geiger). This one looks like it was mastered by someone on LSD?

IMG_0410.JPG

That's funny Mike,  first thing I thought was "hey that's my backyard!"  (my old house in NJ)

MVC-001F

Here's the Falcon...  it's only too narrow, too short and too tall. Other than that it's fine.

IMG 0338

And the Valiant... notice that the windows are different sizes on the opposite sides. Love the swirl-a-delic plastic too!

MVC-004F

MVC-001S

and we cannot leave out the Rambler! 

DSC00017

DSC00018

Awhile back someone I knew said he had three really old models at home and he'd give them to me...  Yea, the Valiant, Falcon and Corvair! It felt like my great aunt had come alive again!  Somebody giving me Premier kits!  Ahhh!

IMG 2281

I bought this one not too long ago, complete mint kit in box.  I liked the box

DSC00007

This one isn't all that bad, in fact you can buy resin copies of this one all cleaned up.

DSC00008

DSC00013

Premier Caddy... interesting in a cartoonish way.  Something maybe Stewart Little would drive?  Long shot parts request-  I'd actually like to find the missing parts to restore it.

DSC00014

IMG 3958

I believe these are Premier too...  $1 box at a show a few years ago.  No doubt they've been stable mates all this time.

I searched awhile for photos of a Premier Valiant built up I own, but I couldn't find it.

On 12/1/2017 at 11:19 AM, Daddyfink said:

Da, Komrade! 

Image result for bad model kit box art

Wow!  I grew up in Poland in the '70s and I don't recall seeing that one (the writing is in Polish).  That is a really poor drawing of the Space Shuttle.  The boxart looks home-made by some teenager.

14 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Wow! That is bad! 

Weird thing about this kit is what ever they used to mold the body. It is not the normal plastic you might expect but more like rubber. Is is very flexible and molded in the black color and I suspect very hard to paint .