Model Cars Magazine Forum

My New Years Modeling Resolution

After looking at my collection  of half built kits I have decided that I will not start another build until all started kits are finished. This in no way means I will stop buying kits, ( dang you Round 2 ) , but I will not be removing the cellophane from any purchase as this is the reason for so many half finished kits. When I open a new kit some thing inside me just has to start it. Leaving it sealed should solve this problem for me. The attached pictures are not all of them. At last count I had around 75 started builds. Wish me luck.

SAM_0298.JPG

SAM_0297.JPG

We'll good luck. I have the same problem every model that comes in gets open and I do a little bit of work on it then I get board and start another project.thr pic below is all my kits that I have and all of them are started (I have got more since the pic was taken)

image.jpg

Never understood this problem. 

I could never start a kit having one unfinished. 

I did two at a time, but finished both within hours of each other. 

By the way, it's a good idea to remove the plastic from the boxes and to take a good look at the kit, so if some part is missing, or damaged, you can take it back to the store, or order a replacement.  

5 hours ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

By the way, it's a good idea to remove the plastic from the boxes and to take a good look at the kit, so if some part is missing, or damaged, you can take it back to the store, or order a replacement.  

This isn't a bad idea. I insert an Exacto knife between the lid and box and slice the plastic the entire length on all 4 sides then remove just that piece off the bottom. That way you can leave the rest of the wrap on the lid. This will protect the lid from shelf wear, etc. And when on the shelf gives the illusion of an un-opened kit & that may help to resist the urge to start it. ;):D

On 12/8/2017 at 8:34 AM, Renegade said:

After looking at my collection  of half built kits I have decided that I will not start another build until all started kits are finished. This in no way means I will stop buying kits, ( dang you Round 2 ) , but I will not be removing the cellophane from any purchase as this is the reason for so many half finished kits. When I open a new kit some thing inside me just has to start it. Leaving it sealed should solve this problem for me. The attached pictures are not all of them. At last count I had around 75 started builds. Wish me luck.

SAM_0298.JPG

SAM_0297.JPG

Yup, I hear ya going to do the same thing.  Trouble it has been going on with me for so long I will die before I get them finished and I like starting another kit.  Best of luck and you must post if you fall off the wagon.

Resolution for me I think will be to build for ME, This year I fell victim to several club build challenges. One of those competitions is already over and two other get displayed in March. For some reason I"m just not feeling the same passion for the build on these two I am finishing up. Second resolution would simply be to finish what I start.

On 12/8/2017 at 7:34 AM, Renegade said:

SAM_0298.JPG

SAM_0297.JPG

Terry,  I hope that your resolution works out for you. I myself only have less than 10 kits started and I usually only open 'bout 30% of my kits, as the rest stay sealed. Being retired I only finish maybe 3 or 4 kits per year due to lack of motivation, poor use of my time, too much time on this keyboard, going to car shows and cruise nights, and spending time with my grandson. I guess life does get in the way of my model building, or I'm just not devoted enough?

Stick with it as it is possible. I told myself this same thing a few years ago. Been pretty good about it also.  So far this year I have finished 10 builds and have 3 more almost done. I still have many started builds. I did start 2 new builds this year and one was finished. They were both resin conversion and I tend to get really excited with them.

I don't make resolutions, but I have about 6 kits that are partially built that I have to complete. My 2 biggest problems with this is usually, I have a problem with a kit and I don't want to deal with it, so I set the kit aside.  The second is that when I do this, I almost always lose parts. So it's time to get these completed.

7 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

I have a different issue for the most part....I have over 100 from my dads old collection that need restored....been looking for what they need so I can for years now....I guess Ill keep looking this year in the hopes I can get more of them restored.

A very worthy goal. Hopefully it will be realized.

1 hour ago, Jim N said:

I don't make resolutions, but I have about 6 kits that are partially built that I have to complete. My 2 biggest problems with this is usually, I have a problem with a kit and I don't want to deal with it, so I set the kit aside.  The second is that when I do this, I almost always lose parts. So it's time to get these completed.

This is also part of my problem, but my main problem is deciding paint colors. Chassis and engine are no problem but body color is a whole nother animal. If I force myself to pick a color then I will have it whipped. Also bare metal foil is out of my price range. Just bought a Molotow pen, so hopefully this will get some builds completed and on the shelf where they belong.

Mine is to get two done for the year. Couple of years back (well I think we do this thread every year) the resolution was to just get ONE built finally, and I've managed to somehow squeeze one out a year since then. Time to increase productivity by 100%. Also the easiest way to get that moving is to get some of these started projects (some of which are 75% or so completed), and bulldoze them across the finish line already.