Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018 Cannonball Run

Jantrix

Nice starts guys. I'm hoping to get a bit of time in on mine this weekend. Next weekend is a bust cause it will be the annual 24hr of Daytona FB group build. I need to get the workbench cleaned off and ready so I am going to try to get the body mods started on mine. 

Looking forward to more updates from everyone. 

I'm excited by what I'm seeing so far, but have to apologize for not being able to build after all I said during decision period. I'm on a real modeling break just due to me and no time lately.

I had even acquired a Triumph GT6 and considered turbo on the Triumph 6, a Porsche 968 turbo ... but I know I won't be able to join in.

I will be right here following closely.

Sorry Rob, but for the second year in a row I have to change my build.

After looking at the work I need to do to get the drivetrain in the Mid-4, I was afraid I'd never get it done.

So my new entry is a Cobra. I don't know the year but the suspension looks like an early model.

It was a partially built kit I bought. No glass, so that will be a challenge.

I'm using the convertible top from a newer kit, and altering it to look like a hard top.

Engine will be the four cylinder from an Opel, and I'll be twin-charging it (turbo & blower).

Cobra HT Kit Pic.jpg

11 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Sorry Rob, but for the second year in a row I have to change my build.

Ok. I'll change the roster.

Work is coming along well on the Willys. The chassis is mostly painted and ready to start assembly. I have a wild paint job planned that will reflect what is doable in the 1:1 world with vinyl wraps. Whether it becomes a reality or not is ..............questionable. ;)

18 hours ago, Jantrix said:

...Any potential builders being put off by the theme or having trouble with an idea?

I've just been seasonally ill with one lingering virus or another since T-giving and can't drum up the interest to build anything. FWIW, I gathered the elements for a build. Just can't get jazzed enough to commit.

1 hour ago, Belugawrx said:

Hey Tim

The Forum is allowing uploads of any pics you may have,... don't need a 3rd party anymore

Correct, I'm using Flickr to get them from my phone to my hard drive and then just use the drag files function a the bottom of this reply window to add the photos.

1 hour ago, 426 pack said:

D1B607FF-0701-4731-997C-C9C2E45BBFE2.png

Out of curiosity are the two exhaust pipes so that you can use the kit sidepipes?

Edited by Jantrix

15 minutes ago, Grid_88 said:

I will be joining in this year with this.

Im not sure what I will be doing to it but my main goal is to just finish it. 

I hear you. I specifically chose this years kit because the only mods required are an engine and wheel/tire swap. 

That Focus would make a nice sleeper. Are there stock body panels or are the aero parts your only option?

41 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

I hear you. I specifically chose this years kit because the only mods required are an engine and wheel/tire swap. 

That Focus would make a nice sleeper. Are there stock body panels or are the aero parts your only option?

That’s exactly why I went with this kit because I don’t believe I will change much but we will see when I actually start to build it and yes the stock body panels and stock wheels are included in it. 

On 1/22/2018 at 10:11 AM, Jantrix said:

Hmm.............droids in 3 inch heels? Are these Cherry 2000 kinda droids?

I know, right,..apparently we checked off the Attractive female droids box,  instead of the Overweight, belligerent, buttcrack, male mechanic droid box....

ii5N5ti.jpg

Nice progress guys!

Trying to finish up some things I already have going on, mom's rehab, the kiddo and work is taking up what free time I have. Still in the planning stages, but getting about ready to start... hopefully?!?

On 1/22/2018 at 5:00 PM, Jantrix said:

Hmm. I'm a little surprised we only have 13 builders so far. As popular as the theme seemed during the decision period, it seems a little light. Any potential builders being put off by the theme or having trouble with an idea?

For me, it is just coming up with a build idea. 

19 hours ago, Crankenstien said:

not the subject but the lack of inlines

I thought that too until I started digging through my stash. I was surprised by the amount of kits I had that I didn't even know had an inline engine in them. 

19 hours ago, Crankenstien said:

not the subject but the lack of inlines

Vintage Chevy - AMT 51 Chevys , AMT 37 Chevy, Monogram 53 Chevy, Galaxie 47 Chevy line of kits.

Vintage Mopar - 41 Plymouth - flat 6. Lindberg 330, AMT Deora and AMT XR6 - slant six 

Vintage Ford - Revell '31 Model A's

These are just off the top of my head. There are lots more, european, japanese, domestic. What sort of car are you into? Maybe someone can recommend something.