Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018 Cannonball Run

Jantrix

On 2/7/2018 at 3:12 PM, Fat Brian said:

I've got some things done on the Mustang, I made a custom intake/exhaust manifold and combined a 2000ish hood with the stock one to get a nice modern look. I also got the wheels mostly ready for paint.

20180207_144155.thumb.jpg.5587ae060fbe93fe7ef01cabad14e3dc.jpg

This is really turning out nice Brian!!

1 hour ago, MeatMan said:

This is really turning out nice Brian!!

Thank you, the engine fit is tougher than I expected. That rascal is long and with the intake and exhaust ports on the same side the passenger side of the engine bay is going to be a bit crowded. I'm trying to find a cheap modern Mustang to rob the rear suspension from.

On 2/1/2018 at 3:41 AM, Jantrix said:

If anyone needs to be added to the roster, on the second post in this thread, please make sure we've seen photos of your unstarted project, and let me know.

Hey Jantrix, if you could add me in that would be awesome!

Made some progress over the weekend, the boys got stuck in & cut away the fenders to allow for the fender flares. Mounted the side skirts, which on reflection Alexi is thinking they might need reshapping along the bottom, the leading edge might get smashed off with the low ride height.

IMG_9296.JPG

IMG_9297.JPG

IMG_9294.JPG

OK. I would like to throw my hat into the ring. I am in with a '69 Firebird, Sprint OHC 6 motor. Plan: Power adder for the motor, gutted but street legal. Modernized chassis. I just set the body on the wheels in the pics, but will probably be different.  Thanks, Larry

DSCN8197.JPG

DSCN8198.JPG

Edited by larman

13 hours ago, larman said:

OK. I would like to throw my hat into the ring. I am in with a '69 Firebird, Sprint OHC 6 motor. Plan: Power adder for the motor, gutted but street legal. Modernized chassis. I just set the body on the wheels in the pics, but will probably be different.  Thanks, Larry

You're IN! Nice to see all the new faces (err.....avatars) in the Cannonball.

I finally got the Mustang up on it's feet. For me this is when I really get my first real indication of the attitude of the car. I added side scoops and a modern style spoiler to the bodywork. Unfortunately the seats I was planning on are too wide to fit in the interior so I've got to look for some other options.

20180216_105904.thumb.jpg.8e4c843f9ad3c7ce5c8d3113ebb5d831.jpg20180216_110357.thumb.jpg.d27e2e4158759baf48961fe8bdd59853.jpg

I received my Cummins in the mail yesterday, (Thanks to Trailer Trash Customs) it looks very nice. I may see if I can make a 4BT out it if it won't fit in the engine bay. I also bought a second Dodge Ramcharger from the HL clearance pile. I have to start looking at combinations. Tomorrow I'll be in San Antonio at the model car show and I'll look for any other kits that might work as well. For some reason my phone isn't letting me email pictures to myself, so I don't have anything to show just yet.

2 minutes ago, oldcarfan said:

I received my Cummins in the mail yesterday, (Thanks to Trailer Trash Customs) it looks very nice. I may see if I can make a 4BT out it if it won't fit in the engine bay. I also bought a second Dodge Ramcharger from the HL clearance pile. I have to start looking at combinations. Tomorrow I'll be in San Antonio at the model car show and I'll look for any other kits that might work as well. For some reason my phone isn't letting me email pictures to myself, so I don't have anything to show just yet.

You should be able to get the Cummins in there, Dodge put them in that body style truck originally. Plus, I think their stuff is 1/25 and the Ramcharger is 1/24.

Some more work on the intake, it's nearly there. I wish I'd known more about turbo set-ups when I started this. I'd have done this differently. A top mounted intercooler would have been a much better idea, and the intake would have been a different shape , fitting with the turbo better. Live and learn.

That's my body color. I'm going to do a slightly distressed patina finish with some hot rod door art.

38549955280_94560652ac_z.jpg

39649086234_ff060d3d48_z.jpg

25488223437_eccfb1a41f_z.jpg

54 minutes ago, Pat Minarick said:

Haven't been around for awhile ,just getting back to building. I really missed building a Cannonball car every year. I have my Photobucket back so I'm going to figure out something to build and jump in. 

Great to see you back Pat, Hope all is well....

Cheers

On 2/19/2018 at 8:52 AM, Jantrix said:

Some more work on the intake, it's nearly there. I wish I'd known more about turbo set-ups when I started this. I'd have done this differently. A top mounted intercooler would have been a much better idea, and the intake would have been a different shape , fitting with the turbo better. Live and learn.

That's my body color. I'm going to do a slightly distressed patina finish with some hot rod door art.

38549955280_94560652ac_z.jpg

39649086234_ff060d3d48_z.jpg

25488223437_eccfb1a41f_z.jpg

I see why you wanted to know about the Willy's pick-up.  No worries,  l haven't figured what to build yet .