Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018 Cannonball Run

Jantrix

7 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

I can try.

Fisrt paint the body flat black , gray primer, and then body color .  Thin layers and let dry.

Wet sand the body all over , in the places you want real rusty it's ok to go to the plastic. Then dullcote it. 

I use acrylic craft paint( Craftsmart ). Dab the bare areas with black. You can dry brush  graphite gray in areas you want primer spots.

Then dry brush graphite gray and vanilla in the direction water would streak down the body. 

Then I give the body a wash of Citadel miniatures chestnut or dark flesh wash. Blot excess of with a sponge , or add more streaks with a clean brush.

Dullcote again.

Go back to the areas you want rusty. Use black and brick red , bad both together with a old worn out brush till it looks the way you want it. You can use terra cotta got some brighter rust . Thin the terra cotta with a liner brush to add rusty streaks.

Use the vanilla and with a really dry brush the body in the direction of the streaks to dull it up more.

You can use a black wash in areas you want darker and body lines.

Just build up layer till you get the look you want.

Do your foiling on the trim and dullcote again . You can leave it like that , or go back over the rusty spots to give more texture.  

Hope you can figure that all out.

Thank you Pat.

14 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

That's a great tutorial Pat. Not sure I understand all of it but I'm sure it will all be made clear with a little noodling. Thanks for showing the products too.

Excellent work. i still have work to do on my patina as well. I use similar techniques and this stuff.

http://www.bragdonent.com/smpic/nweather.htm

20151231_152055_zpswchtyh4u.JPG

2 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Excellent work. i still have work to do on my patina as well. I use similar techniques and this stuff.

http://www.bragdonent.com/smpic/nweather.htm

20151231_152055_zpswchtyh4u.JPG

I have just started using weathering pigments, the type for tanks . I'm always trying new stuff. I'm learning stuff from the  armor guys too !20180203_153221.thumb.jpg.803d122258b128820689072f9f10d3bf.jpg20180203_153201.thumb.jpg.24eec2ee5fdc5a5e428b4c2323991445.jpg

Edited by Pat Minarick

Hey guys, I've been plugging away at the Cannonball challange. From the moment I got this kit the idea was always to build a neglected shop truck. The patina/weathered look seems to be a popular paint theme here this year. It's the like that old sayin "great minds think alike". Anyway I painted this a month ago and I've slowly been gettin it together... I've got more weathering to do but here is how it looks for now.

Screenshot_20180421-121034.jpg

12 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Hey guys, I've been plugging away at the Cannonball challange. From the moment I got this kit the idea was always to build a neglected shop truck. The patina/weathered look seems to be a popular paint theme here this year. It's the like that old sayin "great minds think alike". Anyway I painted this a month ago and I've slowly been gettin it together... I've got more weathering to do but here is how it looks for now.

Screenshot_20180421-121034.jpg

I like it.

Wheel set #2 is here, these are 20" big and little Rotoforms from Factory 81. Now I can get back on this project again. I also found a Viper chassis from a kit my father in law couldn't get finished so I'm going to make an entire custom frame setup.

20180424_163843.thumb.jpg.9dc4df56120ae1a5debcf10b9b4c480b.jpg

6 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

That's usually the kiss of death for my builds. The Mustang looks great. 

I'm very intimidated by it since I'm going to have to do a custom interior too. I'm just going to take it once piece at a time and see what happens. Thanks for the compliment, I'm still hoping I didn't completely wreck my build.

18 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

I'm very intimidated by it since I'm going to have to do a custom interior too. I'm just going to take it once piece at a time and see what happens. Thanks for the compliment, I'm still hoping I didn't completely wreck my build.

You got plenty of time. Looking good.

Great work Guys! That AMX is looking sweet & love the Rotiform wheels on the Mustang! Ive finally been able to make some progress on the Soviet Silvia now that the SF70 & a couple of other builds are out of the way.

Managed to get the bodykit attached, spent a few hours getting the right fit, & flattened off the side skirts. One of the fenders needed to have the gas cap flap cutout & backfilled. 

IMG_9893.thumb.JPG.4f9108d28e4d993b569098fe54638bf2.JPG

IMG_9895.thumb.JPG.1962ca906859f5fab1583658220e3963.JPG

IMG_9896.thumb.JPG.8e343b64d067370616c4207559150176.JPG

IMG_9897.thumb.JPG.375da7496ecd345a1540d3d83e675ffc.JPG

IMG_9898.thumb.JPG.ff9300cccf1d426fbc13a80b703d329d.JPG

IMG_9899.thumb.JPG.5d5316cc5922fcb58db468e926e7918c.JPG

Ive also ordered an interior set that will really set this build off, next step is fitting an engine bay into it & hunting down the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH UPS man whos got my rear bumper....

Stay tuned. Ash

After months of consideration, I'm in.

I went back and forth over if and what I should build and almost went with a 61 Dodge Phoenix on a Dodge 330 chassis, but I kept coming back to this. Winter dragged on which gave me time to research, consider and start into a new project. It will be a 53 Chevy custom, stock inline 6 which, of course, MUST have the split manifold. I'm parts hunting for a modern tri-carb set up to mount onto the existing intake and keep tucked under the hood without any scoops.

Monogram53ChevKit-vi.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer