Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018 Cannonball Run

Jantrix

I like what I'm seeing there Anthony, the rust, the interior.. neat stuff.

Bruce, what can I say? Off the hook. All you guys, fun stuff to look at.

Here's my summer hiatus update. I finished the body work, window and side trim. Still need to do some surfacing. A chrome spear will finished the front side trim once all is painted. I still check in every day, I'm just lurking a little.

PrimerLeftRear-vi.jpg

PrimerRtFront-vi.jpg

Hey Anthony, I like the truck,..my vote is for baby moon caps on white steeliesB)

Ok , I couldn't get the red to stop seeping through,.. so..

I shot DupliColor gold metallic, through some H/O scale chain link fence onto DupliColor sun fire black base

AqdIEcu.jpg

I bet if I hit that with clear right now,.... it would blush...grr

And then,.. I started thinking of an accent colour,... and then I watched the Matrix,...again,...

So I thinned down some Tamiya X-25 Clear Green 2 :1 to Tamiya X-20A Thinner, and shot it through,...You guessed it ...Iwata NEO , at 18 - 20 psi

AM41WnK.jpg

And shot it 3 times with a 5 minute wait between coats,...it runs if you hurry, or overload  it -_-

896NYO9.jpg

Cheers CannonBallers

Thanks guys! Giving some thought on the wheels and stance so I painted the wheels I borrowed from the Revell 57 Chevy... I beleive they are 22's. I wanted to see how they looked slammed. I like the look but I kinda wanted the brakes to be seen through the wheels and that isn't an option with these wheels. I'm on the fence...

20180626_175316.jpg

Hey Guys!

Loving the Gulf truck, that's awesome!!!!

I've been working pretty hard on getting the interior of my Soviet Silvia done, while it doesn't look like I've done much I've spent the last 2 weeks sanding & adjusting. The Fuju Garage interior set is great but it must've been designed for a Tamiya or Fujimi kit, so quite a few adjustments & lots of "eyeball engineering". Pretty happy with how the main parts are currently sitting so now its time to rebuild the rear seat bucket area without the seat...

Ash

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

3 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Those panels look Great Ash!

Cheers Mate!

Went a little crazy with the Dremel over the weekend!!! Got the molded in engine bottom & exhaust sanded off the chassis, also after soaking in IPA for 2 weeks I managed to get most of the paint off of my old GTR engine bay & engine, that will serve as engine & engine bay for this build. Working on the best way to mate them together.

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

12 hours ago, da_ashman said:

also after soaking in IPA for 2 weeks I managed to get most of the paint off of my old GTR engine bay & engine,

India Pale ale? I've never heard of anyone using beer as a stripping medium before. Seems like a waste of beer to me. :D

10 hours ago, Jantrix said:

India Pale ale? I've never heard of anyone using beer as a stripping medium before. Seems like a waste of beer to me. :D

Beer doesnt last long enough in my house to be useful for anything other than its intended purpose, Sorry Isoproypl Alcohol is what I used to strip the paint.

12 hours ago, da_ashman said:

Sorry Isoproypl Alcohol is what I used to strip the paint.

I figured. Was just having a bit of fun. The Silvia looks awesome. 

I'm taking the rest of the week off after the fourth, giving me a five day holiday. It is my firm intention on giving the hobby room a thorough cleaning and then FINISH the Willys. Fingers crossed.

Great job Rob!!! Looks fantastic!

So the Soviet Silvia finally has an engine bay!! Just working on the rear seat delete, this area & under the seats will most likely be covered in "carpet" for comfort & sound deading for the long journeys ahead! Almost ready for paint!!!!

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

& the beast has a heart!!! Great weekend, managed to make heaps of progress, engine bay is pretty much done, front subframe is at correct ride height, engine clears the hood, exhaust tunnel was bored out, intercooler mounted in correct spot with radiator too!

Next up is mounting the turbos & exhaust

IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

I know it's just July, but I'd like everyone to put their thinking caps on and start kicking around ideas for next years Cannonball theme. Make sure it will appeal to a wide audience. The more you narrow a theme, the less interest here is.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Forgot the last time I entered one of these CBs (may have been on the other site), but since this one here has a perfect theme that's right up my alley i''ll be game. 

My entry:

20180721_202927.thumb.jpg.1873b9202ff24523eb9a979f2e4a2382.jpg

Parts to be used:20180721_203050.thumb.jpg.385a7e5e481e77c5bbe4649a85973703.jpg

Quick mock up:

20180721_203621.thumb.jpg.f81b216a2ade7dc242c13f814c9d3549.jpg

Color will likely be in the gloss red range, but nothing too crazy and plan to make it street legal as possible.