Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018 Cannonball Run

Jantrix

Okay boys and girls. Just about seven weeks to go. On or about Nov. 1, I will start a completed builds thread for everyone to post up their completed racers. There were some really cool builds started this year and I've not seen updates on many of them lately. I'll be very disappointed if you're not all there on race day.

Edited by Jantrix

On 10/4/2018 at 10:31 AM, Jantrix said:

Attention Cannonballers.

Guys, I have a neat idea for next year’s Cannonball. Hear me out.

2019 is the next running of the Peking to Paris Rally. For those that haven’t heard of it, it’s a rally that began in the early 1900’s and was discontinued for some time but recently revived. Only cars prior to 1976 are allowed. It starts in China, goes up through Mongolia, through the length of Russia, into western Europe, then eastern Europe to finish in Paris to wine, women and song. It takes about a month to complete. There are several classes. I’m attaching a .pdf with the rules.

Image result for peking to paris map

Now I know an organized race is hard to stomach for such hardened vehicular outlaws such as ourselves, but I think this might be a fun alternative for next year’s run. Please do some Google searching on some P2P racers, it looks like a great time with some truly unique racers. I’ve been planning a model of a P2P racer recently, and it occurred to me it might be a fun Cannonball.

Please check out the website and the rules and let me know what you think. This is very likely the toughest automotive endurance race on the planet. I think its time we put our stamp on it.

http://www.endurorally.com/pages/the-peking-to-paris-motor-challenge-2019

P2P 2016 Regs FINAL.pdf

I love this idea. And whether we do this instead, or do both, I am in. I even have a couple of kits set aside that would work perfect for this.

Awesome! Better get stuck into finishing this years one first!

Here's where I'm at as of last night, Body is done, just needs detailing with lights windows etc, engine's done & interior is mostly complete.

Almost ready to roll! I'm off to Fiji for a week from 1 Nov so hope to have it done by then!

IMG_1295.JPG

IMG_1296.JPG

IMG_1297.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

IMG_1299.JPG

IMG_1300.JPG

IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

IMG_1303.JPG

Edited by da_ashman

Cheers Fellas!

Well managed to get some bench time & smashed it out! Fought me all the way though. Despite being very careful with my scratchbuilding, always checking & test fitting everything. Body didn't want to sit flat with the chassis so some "remedial work" had to be undertaken. Here's some completed pics, just need to get some stickers on the glass cut. I'm off to Fiji for a relaxing break away from the model bench & when I return i'll get stuck into the P2P racer.

Stay Tuned!

IMG_1329.thumb.JPG.ee62904298fb3221535a0f8c9e2d664e.JPG

IMG_1332.thumb.JPG.b640bade8765aba399ca82f49e5e1cab.JPG

IMG_1335.thumb.JPG.3dd2f5ae727f37f110b3b1edf387c074.JPG

IMG_1323.thumb.JPG.dbaac05ca612eefca223437b49bda161.JPG

IMG_1327.thumb.JPG.e01d9efd6f247c387e66a1491f686404.JPG

IMG_1344.thumb.JPG.2074c776dc7c5662e7e8e5c7d14b28d6.JPG

IMG_1347.thumb.JPG.4ea8cf3cab7e911a64c33455d1af55b2.JPG

IMG_1350.thumb.JPG.af93dec2e2ded7a698a7a3d71a93ee27.JPG

IMG_1345.thumb.JPG.213ba781d9549d6eb619d0f7abcfa77a.JPG

I hate to say it chums, but I'm tapping out. 

I like what I've done here, and I want to cast this body. But that means I need to put a lot more effort into surface prep and detail, then mold making and that's just going to push things back. I'm not jazzed enough about it to push hard in the next five weeks. Since I've got so far to go, I'd rather just take my time and enjoy it. I'm still here though, and I'll be helping Rob near the end of this CBP.

PrimerRtFront.jpg

36 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

I hate to say it chums, but I'm tapping out. 

I like what I've done here, and I want to cast this body. But that means I need to put a lot more effort into surface prep and detail, then mold making and that's just going to push things back. I'm not jazzed enough about it to push hard in the next five weeks. Since I've got so far to go, I'd rather just take my time and enjoy it. I'm still here though, and I'll be helping Rob near the end of this CBP.

It's looking good Mike. Good luck with the casting. My '53 made a brief appearance on the bench last week. 

For those that don't know. Mike has ben handling the race poll for the last four years or so, and it's always top notch. Much appreciated as always.

Awesome looking builds guys.

I'm afraid I'm not going to make it to the starting line. My frame was badly warped, which was giving me fits. With my son's accident, all the modeling has been put on hold.

Looking forward to everyone's finishers and hopefully make an appearance next year. Model on!

I'm waving my white flag at this point! There is just no way I will be done by the deadline. There is always next year.

Good luck to everyone still in and I can't wait to see some of the creative and insane stuff people have built this year.

Guys, I've got most of the painting and bodywork done and the engine and chassis mostly worked out and yet I'm stuck in neutral. Can't seem to get it all together and now I found out we're going to be out of town for the next couple of weekends. Yikes! It's like being back in college and realizing that research paper that I've been putting off is due and I haven't gotten started!

Fantastic paint Ashman.

Sorry to see you wuss out LJ.  Next year eh...
:P

I've just got the chassis completed (other than drive and steering shafts).

45706361042_7193ab9fa7_b.jpgCannonball Bug WIP 07-11-2018 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Body work is about 50% complete and as it's basically a cut down of the stock kit body (from a Coupe Napoleon to a Landau) then i'm hoping to have it done soon.
Basically I feel confident in getting everything together by the deadline although body may still be in primer.  Still, won't be the first time somethings raced in that state eh?
B)