Model Cars Magazine Forum

'76 Firebird Trans Am -

Hi Guys (and lady's) -

I'm looking to build a replica of my buddy's 1976 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am -

I have the Revell 'Smokey and the Bandit' edition

Looking to see if anyone knows of a aftermarket company that makes a '76 nose for it? I think Reliable Resin did a conversion kit years ago but I can't find that one anywhere online! 

Help?

Thank you -

Tim

I don't think anybody does. I would suggest finding a vintage MPC body/kit on ebay and starting there, using the parts from the most recent MPC '79 Firebird T/A and the '78 Trans Am for a base kit/parts donors.

Edited by Casey

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Besides the front fascia, you'll need a hood too.  The '77-'81 hood is different from '70-'76.

True. Missing Link can supply the shaker hood and two scoop parts: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Resin-25th-MPC-1971-76-Pontiac-Trans-Am-hood-w-shaker-by-missing-link/292368512200?hash=item44128574c8:g:aOAAAOSw8GtZOyaN

I've started the same kitbash,, almost ,, mine's a '74 but about the same involved.

Revell S&B chassis, etc.

Missing Link hood and scoop.

'74 MPC Firebird body.

I also got a set of decals from Keith Marks.

Only thing is the Revell kit was originally designed as a die-cast so the bottom is flared out a bit more than a plastic kit would be. That means a lot of grinding to get it to fit under the MPC body. I took a bit too much off the sides of mine but that can be easily fixed. The nose is tricky and I see I'll need to grind some off the back of the chassis plate too so the rear pan will fit better.

I really gotta get back to this one. ;)

IMG 1677

IMG 1675

IMG 1695

IMG 1696

• 3 years later...
On 12/17/2017 at 8:23 AM, Young iron said:

Here's the 1974 Super-Duty T/A I build years ago. I mixed a 1970 Revell and a 1974 Arii for the front fascia. To create a 1976, you should use most of the 1978 Revell Warbird, including the front bumper.

Missing link Resin also offers Honeycomb wheels.

CIMG2642.JPG

CIMG0157.JPG

CIMG0266.JPG

What did you use or the '74 custom interior seats and door panels?

• 4 weeks later...

I have to see my stash. As far as I know, I have the 1973, 1974 and 1975 Pontiac Firebird Formula as well as a 1976 Pontiac Firebird in my shelf. All as the old Promo kits by MPC I think. I have to look at the rear window. I never noticed, that they should be different. I know the front bumper and grille are different and I think the rear bumper.

• 1 year later...
On 9/17/2021 at 4:54 AM, christian-w said:

I have to see my stash. As far as I know, I have the 1973, 1974 and 1975 Pontiac Firebird Formula as well as a 1976 Pontiac Firebird in my shelf. All as the old Promo kits by MPC I think. I have to look at the rear window. I never noticed, that they should be different. I know the front bumper and grille are different and I think the rear bumper.

On 9/17/2021 at 4:54 AM, christian-w said:

Do you have the 1976 Firebird Formula MPC promo kit?

Firebirds and Camaros had the smaller rear window up to and including the 1974 model year. Wraparound starting in 1975.

While I don't have the Revell S&B Trans Am because of its diecast heritage, has anyone tried to use the "new tool" AMT 1970 Camaro chassis under the MPC Firebirds (or the older MPC Camaros)?

7 hours ago, JS23U said:

Firebirds and Camaros had the smaller rear window up to and including the 1974 model year. Wraparound starting in 1975.

While I don't have the Revell S&B Trans Am because of its diecast heritage, has anyone tried to use the "new tool" AMT 1970 Camaro chassis under the MPC Firebirds (or the older MPC Camaros)?

The wheelbase lines up really well. The new chassis is a bit wide in the rear and needs to be taken in a bit to fit inside the older bodies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

The wheelbase lines up really well. The new chassis is a bit wide in the rear and needs to be taken in a bit to fit inside the older bodies.

Not exactly with the current AMT 70 Camaro.  This is for the MPC 75 Firebird. I fitted the chassis from the AMT Baldwin Motion Camaro kit.  That chassis fits well.  Also,  I used the engine bay from the BM Camaro to fit in the 75 Firebird.  That fit well too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Not exactly with the current AMT 70 Camaro.  This is for the MPC 75 Firebird. I fitted the chassis from the AMT Baldwin Motion Camaro kit.  That chassis fits well.  Also,  I used the engine bay from the BM Camaro to fit in the 75 Firebird.  That fit well too.

I put it in the 79 Trans Am so that's what I based my comnent on, I'm sure there's a bit of difference between all the available Firebird kits.

• 4 months later...

old topic but ......

Have you considered using the restored kit from C1-Models?

1/24 Restomod ‘76 Firebird C1-TK032

1217013-64482-45-720.jpg.6876ff2476b68169f1620a90ee605fd3.jpg

This is made for the 1/24 Revell 78 trans am. It will give you the correct hood, front and rear bumper and tail lights to convert to a 76.  With little work to remove the aero parts, you have everything you need. This is the route I took. 

Hope this helps!