Model Cars Magazine Forum

Texas Trouble 31 Ford

Modelbuilder Mark

The inspiration for this came from a co-worker who is from Texas. I was showing him some pics of my hot rod models, such as my 32 Ford Baron, and he showed me some hot rods that he liked that were Texas themed. These were not "rat" rods, but might appear at a hot rod show were home built hot rods are more prevalent than say Sema or Goodguys. He said he would like me to build him one someday, and that was about 4 years ago, and the thought rolled around with ideas since then. He really liked the idea of the "come and get it" slogan, and having seen some Texas themed 1:1 hot rods, I ran with it.

This started out as the Revell 1931 Ford Model A, multi piece body kit. It is not perfect, but as this is supposed to represent a home built hot rod, I am fine with it. I removed the texture from the roof with lots and lots of sanding, but when I shot the white primer on, it cause some ghosting, but I did not see that until I had already masked the design, and shot the black. (design was created using my wife's Cricket vinyl cutter) Again, as this is not a "show" rod, I can live with the imperfections. I was originally thinking of running a nice flathead, maybe out of the Merc kit, but I had recently bought a Surf Woody kit from Hobby Lobby clearance for parts, thinking the extra slicks and motor might be useful someday. I normally run multiple projects at the same time, usually just 2 or 3, so I started the motor from the surf woody, and thought since it was still from the 60s, it might still work. Not yet sure I will use the motor, but as it is a Ford Cobra motor, the Paxton chargers etc kinda look cool to me. From this point, most of the parts will come from the 31 kit, the recent 29 Model A kit, and the parts box.

Textured roof that ewas sanded off

the cut

the bits

the mill

mill too

Still have to add the dipstick and the rest of the plumbing 

2v2u8fVvgxEz24.jpg

2v2u8fV2CxEz24.jpg

2v2u8fV9GxEz24.jpg

2v2u8fV1SxEz24.jpg

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark
Dupe pics

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tom!

I was able to get some bench time this evening, so I worked on the chassis. I am mocking two chassis up, but am leaning towards this 32 frame from the parts box. I wanted to ad a slight Z to the rear, so I made horizontal cuts, as this will give me the ability to overlap, while at the same time, narrowing the frame a bit. Once cut, I notched the frame, then once in place, super-glued in some pins, and rounded out the edges for a cleaner look. All that is left is the putty and clean up work.

SAM_1165.JPG

SAM_1166.JPG

SAM_1167.JPG

SAM_1168.JPG

SAM_1169.JPG

SAM_1170.JPG

SAM_1171.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was able to get a little more work done on the rear end. These bolt heads are old Grandt Line I think, you have to cut them off a sprue. I used a little Testor's liquid cement, as it is a little thicker and offers a little more working time. The bolts look a little off from where the black from the bolt heads smeared before I settled on their location. Not perfect, but once painted and washed I think will look OK. Feels like I did not get much done, but I have to use the opti-visor and loop to get in there! LOL

SAM_1186.JPG

I got a little work done yesterday on the front end. Inspired by an article in another magazine from a couple years ago, I took the lower profile spring from the 32 Ford drop axle, and mated it to the drop axle from the 31 Ford kit. This should lower the front stance while having a more traditional front axle still in place. To try and enhance the realism, I added Pr0 Tech bolt heads I picked up from Art Laski to the Spring Shackles, as well as drill through the springs to add "spring rivets". I am hoping the rivets look ok once painted, not sure just yet.

image.png.12a2fb8251c9ec97418edce6d247f65c.png

image.png.f0a0ab7d757ef96dd091ffeb4c94c32c.png

image.png.7a5fed41f34f2048974719beba552904.png

image.png.e003a743ec00c61beef9f57622b765ce.png

I also got the rear axle under primer. The only thing left to do on the rear axle is to add mounting points for radius rods or whatever stabilizers I end up using.

image.png.bd77084b2fc048bdc3d9e1931792ff51.png

image.png

spellin korections

Thanks Jeff, I know it is not completely accurate, but I just can't seem to not try unless it is specifically a curbside etc. I struggle at times to get my hands to do what I see in my mind, but I have picked up an opti-visor since I built that first motor, what a difference it makes for that tiny work! I will post up some pics of the Flathead when it is closer to done.

• 4 weeks later...

Using some resin tires from the parts bin, no idea who made them, but the white wall inserts are separate. I do not believe them to be Modelhaus as the quality is not up to their par, but they are not bad. The rear tires have 7.60-15, the fronts no markings at all.  Insulate wire for the valve stem, Testors red, silver lugs with black wash, still working on the front brakes, cobbling something together. Also filled in the gaps on the frame from the 32 kit.

2v2JKdmBqxEz24.jpg

2v2JKdkMWxEz24.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get a little more work done at the bench this week.

I wanted to share the quickie way I drill out the carbs so the hole is centered. Especially since these are at an angle, it will need to be held straight. I find a piece of aluminum tubing that just goes around the outside of the stack, then I find one smaller, and yet one more so that I get down to where the starting drill bit just fits inside. Once I get that hole going, I remove the smallest tube, grab a larger bit that fits into that, and progress up until the last bit nearly completes. (I used this same method for opening exhaust pipes as well) Then I clean up the edges with an Xacto. I painted the inside red (soon to be followed by a black wash), seconds before snapping these shots, so they are not fully cleaned up. But first, I painted the entire units Metalizer aluminum buffing, then taped off the stacks and shot with gunmetal buffing. This way the stacks get a high shine, and when I buf the carbs, the edges on the carb give off a realistic metal finish. My photography does not show as well as it looks in person, but it is pretty convincing.

2v2Jc1JfrxEz24.jpg

2v2Jc1Jc5xEz24.jpg

2v2Jc1JAjxEz24.jpg

2v2Jc1J6MxEz24.jpg

URL%5D

URL%5D

I have the frame mostly done, added a cross member, and relocated the engine mounts. Not picture is the new driveshaft I made, so once engine is complete it will be ready for brake lines and wheels.

2v2Jc1JtzxEz24.jpg

Still trying to decide on which grill I am going to use.

2v2Jc1J7yxEz24.jpg

Thoughts?

Mark...that is come very cool work so far.  That method for drilling out carb intakes and exhaust is brilliant - thanks for sharing. 

Not clear if you are using the 289 Paxton Supercharged or the Ardun, but either one is a very inspired choice.  Your linkage work on the 289 is superb 

Many years ago I build a chopped '31A Tudor myself, starting it around 1978 and finishing it in 1994-ish.  Mine was more of a race-themed execution (inspired in part by the Pete Eastwood rust primer '32 Tudor on the cover of Hot Rod back then), combined with a 429 Boss mill, a Logghe-style tube chassis, and Pro-Street style rear end).  Still one of my favorite builds.  

Best of luck with your continued work on this one....it is shaping up to be very, very cool.  TIM 

Like where you started...and where you're goin with this one. Those resin  tires...could they be the old Herb Deeks "Bigs and Littles"?...they look familiar...I used them on a Channeled AMT '29 Model "A" I started many years ago. Really like to know where you sourced the steelies...they seem to work well with those tires.

On 3/15/2018 at 5:51 AM, styromaniac said:

Like where you started...and where you're goin with this one. Those resin  tires...could they be the old Herb Deeks "Bigs and Littles"?...they look familiar...I used them on a Channeled AMT '29 Model "A" I started many years ago. Really like to know where you sourced the steelies...they seem to work well with those tires.

You know, that is a possibility. I have a lot of stuff that I really do not even recall when and where I picked it all up over the years. I believe these steel rims are from the AMT Starliner kit, and I think they are GREAT looking rims. I made a mold of them so when I run out of the kits I have (bought a bunch for motors and other bits) I will still have rims :-}

On 3/15/2018 at 8:31 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

Some really nice work going on here! I especially like your solution for drilling the carburetors.  

This is gonna be a killer hot rod!

B)

Thanks Dennis!

• 1 month later...

There are times when I am working on a project, that I swear I have a grey cloud hanging over me.  I have been using purple power to strip paint for at least 20 years, no  issues. A couple days ago, I tried to shoot some paint I  the rear axle,  and messed it up, so I dropped it in the purple pond. Tonight,  I pull out this muck. You would think after thus many years,  I would have heard, PP eats aluminum.  The extend axle was eaten away,  sooooo.....Time to redo the axle.

What I had sat before red paint, after I rinsed it all off. 

SAM_1228.thumb.JPG.1e9069d2d5c496e2b00e9092d5a8173e.JPG

What I had before paint

image.png.bd77084b2fc048bdc3d9e1931792ff51.png

what I found in the pond today SAM_1225.JPG

Aw, I wish I had the opportunity to warn you! I discovered Purple eats aluminum a while ago...I think I was stripping a steering column with an aluminum adapter and it was destroyed :P Oh well, live and learn!

The build is progressing nicely, lots of cool details to check out, so far. Your solution for drilling those angled carb stacks is very trick.

2 minutes ago, Spex84 said:

Aw, I wish I had the opportunity to warn you! I discovered Purple eats aluminum a while ago...I think I was stripping a steering column with an aluminum adapter and it was destroyed :P Oh well, live and learn!

The build is progressing nicely, lots of cool details to check out, so far. Your solution for drilling those angled carb stacks is very trick.

Live and learn indeed. Just frustrated at mused as building time is a premium. Oh well, wanna get it right,  so I will redo it. Maybe by Sunday.... Thanks for the comments. 

• 11 months later...