Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Car in Space: a Tesla Roadster

9 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

JohnU.   The Apollo mission rocket and lunar landing modules were kitted many years ,ago. Airfix and Revell come to mind and I think that there may be some others. Maybe a quick look on EBay might turn some names up for you.

I'm not sure on the Airfix, but the Command/Service module was a 1/32 scale Monogram kit originally and I believe reissued under the Revell name. AMT also did a Saturn V rocket that is included in the "Man in Space" 1/200th scale 5 rocket set reissued not long ago that also includes a simple Apollo command and service module as well as a stowed LEM to be stacked on top of the Saturn V. 

On 2/10/2018 at 6:05 AM, unclescott58 said:

By the way, I now understand this one too. It has to with an episode of Star Trek Voyager, where they find a '36 Ford pickup floating in space. It was a pretty good episode dealing with aliens abducting people from the late 1930's. Including Amelia Airhart. So Musk's Tesla is the first car put in space by humans. Aliens put the '36 Ford in space. I don't think that then counts.  

I knew you were going to find out!!! Very cool episode indeed. 

Musk himself said that the first launch was extremely risky, but it would be lame to launch a concrete block when you could do something cool.

If you want to launch a satellite to low earth orbit, the retail price for a Falcon 9 Heavy launch is $90 million.

The anticipated retail price for a launch on the new (under development) NASA heavy launch vehicle is anticipated to be $1 billion.

'Nuff said.

Peteski.  I stand corrected! Thought the pic was a still photo.

JohnU  I know that Airfix definitely made a kit of the Saturn 5 moon rocket. Almost sure that they did the module as a separate kit, but correct me if I am wrong. Now that you mention it I can remember the Monogram lander kit being issued. Did Revell issue a Saturn 5 in a bigger scale than the Airfix one?  I have a feeling that Heller did the landing module as a small junior kit, but not really sure of this.

The cartoon that unclescott58 placed on last post made me smile. Reallyfunny!  Thanks for sharing.

On a general note, about flat earthers, I cannot believe that in this day and age that some people still have this medieval belief!

Edited by Bugatti Fan

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:27 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup. Pretty significant accomplishment.

Elon Musk's engineers seem to be worth what they're getting paid. 

If you have ever watched the new show "young Sheldon" they took a comedic shot at Musk in a recent episode. During the show Sheldon figures out the whole Re--entry thing and submits it to his science teacher in school. At the close of this particular episode there is some TV footage of Musk's booster rockets landing. The camera pans out and shows Musk at his desk reading.....you guessed it....young Sheldon's school paper and smiling to himself with great satisfaction. Neat show.

On 2/15/2018 at 4:57 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Peteski.  I stand corrected! Thought the pic was a still photo.

JohnU  I know that Airfix definitely made a kit of the Saturn 5 moon rocket. Almost sure that they did the module as a separate kit, but correct me if I am wrong. Now that you mention it I can remember the Monogram lander kit being issued. Did Revell issue a Saturn 5 in a bigger scale than the Airfix one?  I have a feeling that Heller did the landing module as a small junior kit, but not really sure of this.

The cartoon that unclescott58 placed on last post made me smile. Reallyfunny!  Thanks for sharing.

On a general note, about flat earthers, I cannot believe that in this day and age that some people still have this medieval belief!

I think my point was missed about the Saturn rocket and Apollo moon lander models. I built both kits as a kid. What I was trying to point out is that it would be cool if some model company would tool up a kit of the Tesla with “Starman” at the wheel and the Falcon heavy lift rocket!

6 hours ago, JohnU said:

I think my point was missed about the Saturn rocket and Apollo moon lander models. I built both kits as a kid. What I was trying to point out is that it would be cool if some model company would tool up a kit of the Tesla with “Starman” at the wheel and the Falcon heavy lift rocket!

A model of a Falcon Heavy with a Tesla roadster and Starman as cargo? I love the idea, and would for sure buy one. Neat idea. 

Turns out the Flat Earth is actually cylindrical, who knew!

But here's the cool thing...on those terms, if you paint some of that Flat Earth onto any surface, and you've created an alternative universe!

And if you and your paintbrush form a bridge from this Flat Earth to that Flat Earth, then you must be a.....wormhole?

I dunno, "you're a wormhole" doesn't sound very complementary. 

Just read that the Tesla roadster is 5 million kilometers away by now. Cool. Imagine how many times that odometer would have to roll over if it were actually recording the distance :D

You have some warped thinking Mr. Drysdale, Chris. I respect that. You've given me plenty to think about. The only trouble is, I'm now a little scared of using my Tamiya Flat Earth paint. For consequences that may come from it?

Then again, if I'm creating an "alternative universe" when I do use the paint. Like you suggest. Does make me god in that universe? And will I be a loving and benevolent god? Or an evil and wrathful god? Am I good enough to take on this much responsibility? You can see my dilemma? 

A heck. I'm mean and evil. And love power. I'm going for it! Bwahaha! 

• 4 years later...