Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Car in Space: a Tesla Roadster

8 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

All on the American taxpayers dime..Hope you enjoyed that.

All PRIVATELY FUNDED.

And if it HAD been "taxpayer" dollars, I CAN'T THINK OF A BETTER USE FOR THEM.

But PRIVATE INDUSTRY is taking over with a level of efficiency that bloated bureaucracy-laden taxpayer-funded NASA lost decades ago.

https://amgreatness.com/2018/01/31/nasas-safety-bureaucracy-tips-scales-private-space/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Why? BECAUSE WE CAN, THAT'S WHY!

We're America and we're AWESOME!

We sent a man to the moon to play golf! :blink:

We invented a cannon that shoots T-shirts! :)

We invented a vehicle called the El Camino that's BOTH a pickup truck AND a musclecar! :wub:

We have a giant big-box store that sells nothing but STAPLES! :blink:

WE'RE AMERICA AND WE'RE AWESOME! :P BOO-YAH!

11 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Why? BECAUSE WE CAN, THAT'S WHY!

We're America and we're AWESOME!

We sent a man to the moon to play golf! :blink:

We invented a cannon that shoots T-shirts! :)

We invented a vehicle called the El Camino that's BOTH a pickup truck AND a musclecar! :wub:

We have a giant big-box store that sells nothing but STAPLES! :blink:

WE'RE AMERICA AND WE'RE AWESOME! :P BOO-YAH!

Well, it ain't really "we", any more than "we" invented the airplane. It's a tiny fraction of the best and brightest.

Thankfully (for the time being, at least) we live in a country where significant achievement like this is still possible.

And hopefully, it will inspire others to aspire to accomplish something exceptional.

17 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

I would be more impressed if they could fix a pothole up here in Michigan than if the could allegedly put a car in space that has no use.  Better yet go to a Planet that can't support human life, there is another good use of research and money.

Gotta love the human spirit of adventure.  :D

32 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

I would be more impressed if they could fix a pothole up here in Michigan than if the could allegedly put a car in space that has no use.  Better yet go to a Planet that can't support human life, there is another good use of research and money.

And imagine if all the time and money spent on plastic models was put into something useful.

Or the hundreds of millions that gets spent on some pointless blockbuster so that people can kill a couple of hours in a darkened theatre.

Or for that matter,  any of the other useless  stuff we buy and do every day.

Funny how none of that ever gets questioned.

On 2/8/2018 at 7:38 PM, unclescott58 said:

I like the display on Starman's GPS screen in the middle of the dash. It states, "DO'NT PANIC!." The Space X folks have a great sense of humor in my opinion.

I wonder if he knows where his towel is.

9 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

I would be more impressed if they could fix a pothole up here in Michigan than if the(y) could allegedly put a car in space that has no use.  Better yet go to a Planet that can't support human life, there is another good use of research and money.

And, who is "they"? Because "they" are private investors, not beholden to any government agency. And there, they use their own funds. Not yours, or mine.

22 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

???? Red '36 Ford pickup truck. Who sent a '36 Ford pickup into space? I'm assuming this is a pop culture reference I know nothing about. Or maybe I knew, but have forgotten about? 

By the way, I now understand this one too. It has to with an episode of Star Trek Voyager, where they find a '36 Ford pickup floating in space. It was a pretty good episode dealing with aliens abducting people from the late 1930's. Including Amelia Airhart. So Musk's Tesla is the first car put in space by humans. Aliens put the '36 Ford in space. I don't think that then counts.  

Edited by unclescott58

On 2/10/2018 at 3:05 AM, unclescott58 said:

By the way, I now understand this one too. It has to with an episode of Star Trek Voyager, where they find a '36 Ford pickup floating in space. It was a pretty good episode dealing with aliens abducting people from the late 1930's. Including Amelia Airhart. So Musk's Tesla is the first car put in space by humans. Aliens put the '36 Ford in space. I don't think that then counts.  

Especially since one is fiction and the other is fact! :rolleyes:

On 2/8/2018 at 8:50 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Pulled this still from the live feed:

5a7cfe46707b6_teslainorbit.jpg.b2ed954d9ac8887c123dcc88d13fab15.jpg

B)

What is that?!  Earth is supposed to be flat!  The Earth's apparent roundness is caused by the distortion of the thick spacecraft windows and camera lanes. Um, but this video is not taken through a spaceship window!  And why don't some things in the car look distorted?  Something doesn't add up!

We never landed on the moon - it is a hoax exposed many times.  :D

Edited by peteski

JohnU.   The Apollo mission rocket and lunar landing modules were kitted many years ,ago. Airfix and Revell come to mind and I think that there may be some others. Maybe a quick look on EBay might turn some names up for you.

Peteski..........Photoshop?

Edited by Bugatti Fan