Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Peterbilt 359 - reissued California Hauler

I started this build in 2015 and now it is finally finished. I found this photo the other day and wanted to build something like that. It is just an inspiration. I didn´t try to build a true replica. 

scan0001-27.jpg.e89d19d4b15e7c215be900eafb087a2f.jpg

The AMT California Hauler was the ideal starting point. I got me the Mercury sleeper, scratch bulit a pair of hood hinges, the sun visor, the exhaust pipes holders and the battery box latches. Plus some items that I had lost in time. Like the pogo stick, the door handles  and such. I struggled with the paint job, there was always something that had to be repaired. The dark paint should have been a very very dark blue, almost black. I never kept the original mix, I had to mix it all over again and, of course, it never matched. So, there are three shades of dark blue on the model. The front mud flaps are the CMT PE parts while the rear ones are the kit originals. They are much too thick but I like the molded on Peterbilt oval.

P4272097.JPG.1916de0de4d97eceb7f948efcb6a124c.JPG

P4272099.JPG.949c106e61b4e91eec7798a205fb4c04.JPG

P4272101.JPG.fa5f058bfe63f81aa9b34e203fd52070.JPG

P4272103.JPG.8383e88440a97c3bbb3351b87b61d7f2.JPG

P4272106.JPG.25a078bf0b3490c97f9078e6e1037ebc.JPG

P4272109.JPG.4eeded86f71c06fc393dbe81b257100d.JPG

P4272112.JPG.8e0ec0e2dd31538c347e9057d71e91fb.JPG

P4272114.JPG.a4076c7e13d70e5fd40bedd1b993f949.JPG

There is a lot of things on the model that I shoud have done better but I was tired of respraying the thing over and over again. In fact, I am happy that it turned out like this. 

Looks great! One thing I see that is very obvious but easily remedied is the real truck has center point steering which makes the oiler hub stick out. Jamie Rahmoller at Moluminum.com has those Stemco hubs that I mastered. Be easy to paint them and stick them on if you want.

Thank you all for your kind words. 

17 hours ago, Ben said:

Looks great! One thing I see that is very obvious but easily remedied is the real truck has center point steering which makes the oiler hub stick out. Jamie Rahmoller at Moluminum.com has those Stemco hubs that I mastered. Be easy to paint them and stick them on if you want.

I never thought of center point steereing. In fact, the first time i heard of a center point steering was right here on this forum. I think the only visible difference is the out sticking hub and wheels a bit deeper in the fenders, right? Probably a different steering linkage too. But can anybody tell one from the other? Anyway, I may try to make a center point steering on some of my future models. Thanks for the tip on where to get the correct hubs.  

1 hour ago, truckabilly said:

Thank you all for your kind words. 

I never thought of center point steereing. In fact, the first time i heard of a center point steering was right here on this forum. I think the only visible difference is the out sticking hub and wheels a bit deeper in the fenders, right? Probably a different steering linkage too. But can anybody tell one from the other? Anyway, I may try to make a center point steering on some of my future models. Thanks for the tip on where to get the correct hubs.  

Yes, on Center Point steering the wheel is moved inwards to put the middle of the tire directly inline with the king pins on the axle. This allows the wheels to pivot rather than swing side to side. It was used before power steering came along.