Model Cars Magazine Forum

T.D. Garbage truck

ranma

I just  got a copy of the Tom Daniels Garbage truck, Which I really don't think that it's actually a 1/24 scale product. If I were to guess as to scale I'd say it is closer to 1/35-132 scale, as the figures that it comes with fit in size to a 1/35-1/32 Military tank model! Also a garbage truck  would be rather bigger then a 1/25 '57 Chevrolet wouldn't it?

1tdgarbage truck.jpg

If the garbage body had decent detail it could perhaps be used on a 1 ton or 1-1/2 ton truck? There are small garbage trucks out there for industrial sites, gated communities, camp grounds and such, not all are built on large trucks.

Unfortunately I haven't found the detail on other Tom Daniel customs to be worth bothering with for use as a more serious model.

I just found the figures from this kit in a pile of glue bomb parts I've had for a while, and it suddenly struck me...wait, aren't these guys WAY too small????

I agree that the scale is pretty wacky. The cab and wheels seem to be 1:25....everything else has been tweaked. 

I could actually use the scuba flippers, tanks, and maybe the surfboards for other projects I have in the works. 

The fat Goodyear slicks and slot mags are useful for late 60s and 70s hot rods and street freaks. 

I think the cab would look cool repurposed as a dune buggy, maybe on a Jeep frame-- like a scaled-up Meyers Manx pickup truck, with a full roof.

41 minutes ago, Spex84 said:

I think the cab would look cool repurposed as a dune buggy, maybe on a Jeep frame-- like a scaled-up Meyers Manx pickup truck, with a full roof.

That sounds like the kind of sick, twisted idea that I would have come up with. Well played! B)

I bought 1 and it really is a garbage truck !

The wheels, slicks & surfboards are ok but the rest is erm garbage. 

Funny, but I did think about the beach style truck to tow a couple of waverider jet skis I have but ended up selling the rest on minus the parts above.

21 hours ago, alexis said:

Harley Richards from Britain did this one several years ago.

Haha, wow! Look at that. The idea works well. I think it would work even better as a full-on show truck with a custom bed to match the cab, and sand tires. Somebody build it!

As cool as the two Customs using Garage Truck parts are. I'd like to see some Garage Trucks built straight from the box. I have a question about the kit. Is the platform the music group stands on, designed to move slightly in and out in the back? The instructions make me think this maybe the case. I've never owned this kit. And the only one I recall ever seeing was a neighbor kids, build sometime in the late 1960's. Maybe it time for me to buy one?

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

As cool as the two Customs using Garage Truck parts are. I'd like to see some Garage Trucks built straight from the box. I have a question about the kit. Is the platform the music group stands on, designed to move slightly in and out in the back? The instructions make me think this maybe the case. I've never owned this kit. And the only one I recall ever seeing was a neighbor kids, build sometime in the late 1960's. Maybe it time for me to buy one?

Short answer is yes!

5 hours ago, alexis said:

Platform does NOT move. Kit is VERY simple. Can go together without paint in under 2 hours. (which was the goal for most T.D. kits then)

Johnny Holt, above says it moves. And I watch Right-On-Replica's YouTube build of kit. They talk about and built theirs to move. I thought I remembered it doing so. I went ahead and ordered one on eBay this morning.