Model Cars Magazine Forum

For me, Just right in so many ways "Can O' Worms"

Love that car!

Here's my bare metal '30.  It's Mr. Metal Color "stainless" daubed over grey Plasticote primer and then buffed with a cloth, and Mr. Metal Color "Aluminum" dry-buffed onto the edges of protruding details to highlight them. A hint of copper rub n' buff was buffed onto a couple patches on the lower body to hint at returning corrosion. 

"Can O' Worms" has a more aggressively stitched-together appearance, but I think you could achieve that look with a slightly textured base coat and metalizer paints like Testors Metalizer or Mr. Metal Color buffed onto it. 

30CoupeBareMetal-vi.jpg

2 hours ago, Spex84 said:

...Here's my bare metal '30.  It's Mr. Metal Color "stainless" daubed over grey Plasticote primer and then buffed with a cloth, and Mr. Metal Color "Aluminum" dry-buffed onto the edges of protruding details to highlight them. A hint of copper rub n' buff was buffed onto a couple patches on the lower body to hint at returning corrosion. 

"Can O' Worms" has a more aggressively stitched-together appearance, but I think you could achieve that look with a slightly textured base coat and metalizer paints like Testors Metalizer or Mr. Metal Color buffed onto it. 

Yes, that's one of the ones I was remembering. Very realistic...and sorry I forgot whose it was.

I've done some experimenting with techniques similar to Chris' suggestions for the "stitched-together" appearance, and they're definitely on track.

The only complete body I've done is a newly-minted version of MT's Challenger I, mimicking a fresh-from-the-body-builder finish on aluminum.

Image result for ace-garageguy thompson challenger

3 hours ago, Spex84 said:

Love that car!

Here's my bare metal '30.  It's Mr. Metal Color "stainless" daubed over grey Plasticote primer and then buffed with a cloth, and Mr. Metal Color "Aluminum" dry-buffed onto the edges of protruding details to highlight them. A hint of copper rub n' buff was buffed onto a couple patches on the lower body to hint at returning corrosion. 

30CoupeBareMetal-vi.jpg

If possible please post photos of this coupe taken from a street level rather than from atop a 20 foot pole so we can see the finish as we would view it normally. Thanks.

On 6/7/2018 at 3:49 AM, Spex84 said:

Here's one taken from a squatting position ;)

IMG_6299-vi.jpg

This is a beautiful build Chris!

So, to apply the Mr Metal you simple rub it on and it dries?  Simple as that?  How long does it take to dry?  Is there any benefit to airbrushing it?  I've never tried this stuff before, but your results are really convincing!

So, to apply the Mr Metal you simple rub it on and it dries? 

James--I essentially dry-brushed the Mr Metal onto the body with a ratty old paintbrush in order to get an uneven splotchy finish. If I had airbrushed it, (or even painted on a heavy coat with a brush) the finish would have been too clean and consistent. The paint dries very quickly; I think it's a lacquer. If you wanted a perfect smooth metal effect, airbrushing would probably help, but I've never actually tried it. This is a very thin paint, but it covers well. It behaves much like Testors metalizers but the colors of the steel and aluminum paints are very slightly different from the Testors product.

Edited by Spex84

8 hours ago, Spex84 said:

James--I essentially dry-brushed the Mr Metal onto the body with a ratty old paintbrush in order to get an uneven splotchy finish. If I had airbrushed it, (or even painted on a heavy coat with a brush) the finish would have been too clean and consistent. The paint dries very quickly; I think it's a lacquer. If you wanted a perfect smooth metal effect, airbrushing would probably help, but I've never actually tried it. This is a very thin paint, but it covers well. It behaves much like Testors metalizers but the colors of the steel and aluminum paints are very slightly different from the Testors product.

That's really helpful - thanks buddy!

On 6/11/2018 at 5:44 AM, Spex84 said:

No problemo!

One more question - I actually ordered some of these paints after seeing your build.  How durable is the finish?  I want to use one of them on an engine block, but I'm not sure how it'll stand up to being handled as I assemble it, wire it, etc... 

39 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

How durable is the finish?

I would suggest wearing latex/nitrile gloves--it's not going to wear off like Alclad does, but the oils from your fingers handling it will dull it somewhat and I noticed when handling painted parts that a small amount was transferred to my fingers, which could have been a problem if I then touched other parts.

As with other metalizers, it doesn't look quite the same if clear-coated (ie with Future).

34 minutes ago, Spex84 said:

I would suggest wearing latex/nitrile gloves--it's not going to wear off like Alclad does, but the oils from your fingers handling it will dull it somewhat and I noticed when handling painted parts that a small amount was transferred to my fingers, which could have been a problem if I then touched other parts.

As with other metalizers, it doesn't look quite the same if clear-coated (ie with Future).

Sounds sensible - thanks so much for the tips, buddy!