Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '77 Ford Cruising Van

Casey

Crowe-t, you can bet the farm, that it will NOT have either better mirrors, or the mags. This will be  a re-issue of the Phantom Van with New Wheel covers and decals. Period. Eventually, Round2 will go back to the Vaults, and re-issue this kit again, giving us 4-6 "New" parts that have been blocked off for years. And again they'll boast of "Expanded Decals" Pad Printed tires and one or two "Newly Molded" widgets, that have not been seen in years. Then it will be an "All New Kit" and we shell out more money.

This is a fun game for certain kits, but IMHO, Vans are not in this category.  Just have to wait and see I guess.

(p.s. could we at least get the "Matilda Van" clear Sundome and mounting ring back?)

8 hours ago, alexis said:

(p.s. could we at least get the "Matilda Van" clear Sundome and mounting ring back?)

Why? That thing was hideous! The ugliest van idea they did. I guess it was based on a movie, but the movie bombed and so did this kit.

5ba31fbc6d58a_AMT-2504-2(1).jpg.3150328342620e423dc098db3a88cb9c.jpg

I can understand the raised roof cap and the bay windows on the side. What I don't get are the space alien dome and the lumpy, tongue sticking out of the front. Probably designed by George Barris.

However, I WOULD vote to include the custom parts in an all inclusive 8n1 version, van kit though. That would float MY goat, for sure!

On 9/19/2018 at 11:27 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Why? That thing was hideous! The ugliest van idea they did. I guess it was based on a movie, but the movie bombed and so did this kit. I can understand the raised roof cap and the bay windows on the side. What I don't get are the space alien dome and the lumpy, tongue sticking out of the front. Probably designed by George Barris.

Barris was not to blame for this one. The roof bubble was there so Matilda, the boxing kangaroo and star of the movie, could see out of the van. :lol:

Unfortunately, the raised roof piece had the forward windows molded closed, meaning no 'glass' was provided for the window openings...which are not really openings if we're being technical. :blink: It's looks a lot more squared off at the edges, too:

s-l1600.jpg

I'm sure we'll eventually get another custom version of the AMT Ford van eventually, but this time around, it's stock, with what should be a large, multi-color decal sheet.

Edited by Casey

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Barris was not to blame for this one. The roof bubble was there so Matilda, the boxing kangaroo and star of the movie, could see out of the van. :lol:

Unfortunately, the raised roof piece had the forward windows molded closed, meaning no 'glass' was provided for the window openings...which are not really openings if we're being technical. :blink:

So the kangaroo sat on the engine cover? Can't imagine a lot of room up front for a driver,  a passenger  and a large, nervous animal in that area. Must've been a fun ride!

I have an original "Cruising Van" kit and the wheels in it are not correct to the box art. They look more like magnum 500 wheels to me. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. The Moebius 71 Ranger hubcaps are pretty close. The re-issue will at least include a better decal sheet. AMT kits in the 70's had pretty poor decals. They were usually very transparent.

• 2 weeks later...

That "Matilda" kit was a huge flop, just like the movie that spawned it.  I remember seeing it for giveaway prices at hobby and toy shops all over the Los Angeles area.  (This was long ago, when toy stores still existed and actually sold model kits. Hard to believe, I know.)   Now I wish I'd picked up a few of them.  Looks like the raised roof might be a good start for an ambulance or camper.

Here's a link to the "Matilda" movie, for the morbidly curious. Poor Robert Mitchum...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077917/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If there’s one word in my car modelling vocabulary that is worth a thousand images, it’s “Van”. When I was growing up, it was the waning days of the Vannin’ craze, and I can remember all kinds of totally awesome, mega-tricked out vans at car shows we’d go to in the spring and summer. Most of us remember those mural-bedecked rolling pleasure palaces as perhaps the most expressive automotive customs ever, even if they weren’t your thing. However, one thing I don’t ever remember seeing was a stock custom van.  If you’re asking “What?” then you’re like me when I first heard of the Ford and Dodge factory-made, custom-ready street vans.

As it turns out, AMT even gave us a kit of the 1977 Ford Cruising Van, complete with very loud factory striping! It’s been a  long time since it was available, and despite bringing out the custom Econoline “Phantom” van a few years ago, Round 2 has seen fit to resurrect  this long-gone piece of model kit history. The new version features some improvements too, like better tires and two kinds of striping!

I love vans, and I love wacky production cars. This is both!  You guys knew I'd be getting this one as soon as I could get my hands on it, right? It doesn’t get much better than this, despite this thing's flaws. Check it out at the link below, but if it’s rockin’, don’t come a knockin’!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/amt-round-2-1-25-1977-ford-cruising-van-out-of-box/

1977-ford-cruising-van-oob-002.jpg?w=450

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

By the way, that Matilda van is awesome, to my eyes! So horribly, awfully, tastelessly '70s!

Am I the only one who thinks the bubble is a great place for a ball-type turret for a post-appocalyptic "Mad Max" van? I mean, it's already got the Australian theme going! 

On 1/3/2019 at 11:54 AM, Sledsel said:

Be great to have these again....... I had both... as a kid. Side pipes are in a parts box, the rest is MIA

download (21).jpg

download (20).jpg

It would be cool to find these accessory packs again. I wouldn’t offer them separately, parts packs have done poorly in recent history.

I would do a new release of one of the van kits, with all that van’s custom accessories opened up and include this van parts set!  Now you have a super custom van kit!

2 hours ago, Faust said:

By the way, that Matilda van is awesome, to my eyes! So horribly, awfully, tastelessly '70s!

Am I the only one who thinks the bubble is a great place for a ball-type turret for a post-appocalyptic "Mad Max" van? I mean, it's already got the Australian theme going! 

That's an interesting idea, you could probably use one of the clear two piece Easter eggs or tops from one of the 25 cent toy machines and make a WWII style ball turret. 

2_inch_acorn_capsules.jpg.abdb412c2e6e8072ff739271d763d380.jpg