Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rock 'n Roll, Dude!

SfanGoch

It's great to see people who still enjoy the music from their younger days. I'm amazed at how many people in their late sixties to seventies turn into their parents and stop listening to music that they grew up with. Older people I know from the neighborhood are like that. I knew that they were hardcore rock 'n rollers/hippies from when I was a kid.Now, they think listening to Paul Anka, Wayne Newton or, UGH, "lite" music are the way to go. Must've been a residual effect from all that microdot acid they dropped. When I get my ticket punched, "Blitzkrieg Bop" will be played at my wake. :D 

About 9-10 years ago my Sister had bought Rise Against tickets so she and her Ex could go to their Chicago show that year (I think it was at The Metro), and since they had broken up after she bought the tickets, I went with her even though they aren't really my thing.  The local band that opened for them was playing when we got there and up along the front row, head banging with at least a dozen teenagers, were two guys who were probably well in their 40's (and probably in their mid-50's by now).......and they were banging away just as hard, if not harder than the kids around them!  I can actually see those two doing just that in another 20-30 years.

4 hours ago, PARTSMARTY said:

I still like the music i always liked and it rocks< mostly blues>very hard driving and i play all the time extremely loud.My wife says i'm gonna go deaf and i told her i haven't yet so why stop now-i love it loud !!!

Why stop now? You won't love it loud if you develop tinnitus.

I'm in my 40s and I'm still cranking metal. I like almost every type of music (except country and modern r&b), but as someone that came of age in the late 80s, and learned to play guitar when hair metal and shred metal reigned supreme, that's just where my heart goes!

Will never grow up!

• 3 weeks later...

I like Classical Rock and Soft Rock along with a little Modern Jazz.  A little Bob Marley is fun sometimes also. To use a line from my father, "I'm a young man trapped in this old body". This is from a man who broke a leg down hill skiing at Mt. Rose at Lake Tahoe in his late sixties. He was told he would never ski again. Two years later it was Cross Country Skiing every week for him.

On 8/8/2018 at 1:40 PM, iamsuperdan said:

I'm in my 40s and I'm still cranking metal. I like almost every type of music (except country and modern r&b), but as someone that came of age in the late 80s, and learned to play guitar when hair metal and shred metal reigned supreme, that's just where my heart goes!

Will never grow up!

Amen brother!  You'll usually find me listening to two of my favorite bands Ratt and Dokken most of the time but I like everything but country.  I do like old early 80s country (George Strait) but not this stuff now.

I'm in the minority --- I actually love Judas Priest's first album ( Rocka~Rolla , 1974 ) . Just wanted to preface with that statement .

My father is 81 ; he grew-up listening to Jazz and Big Band --- never did get into Rock . I'm constantly amazed that he actually enjoys some of the stuff that I listen to !  While driving to Laughlin , Nevada , some 12 years ago , I put Arthur Lee & Love Forever Changes in the disc player , and the ol' man liked it !  Same goes for Television Marquee Moon ; Small Faces There Are But Four Small Faces ; Johnny Thunders So Alone .

Certainly , I'm not going to play albums such as L.A.M.F.  ( Heartbreakers ) ; any Stooges album ; no MC5 ; and definitely no D.R.I. , SOD , etc.

I heard yesterday that Cher (what, 71?) is releasing an album of ABBA covers next month. Heard a couple cuts and it sounds GREAT! I'm a customer when it comes out. 

And no, despite the combination of Cher and ABBA, I'm not gay. (Didn't even realize that Cher and/or ABBA are now considered "gay things" until I read all the comments on the cuts on YouTube. Almost EVERY SINGLE ONE mentioned it one way or the other.) 

17 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Certainly , I'm not going to play albums such as L.A.M.F.  ( Heartbreakers ) ; any Stooges album ; no MC5 ; and definitely no D.R.I. , SOD , etc.

Well, we're the complete opposite. lolz

I love DRI and SOD. I still listen to Thrash Zone by DRI on a regular basis. That was one of my go-to bands back in high school. And SOD, being a side project of Anthrax, who were the reason I got into guitar in the first place, were a no brainer for me to get in to.

I'm actually impressed though that you are aware of those two bands. In the whole scheme of things, they're kind of obscure.

The Stooges? MC5? Now we're talking my kind of "oldies" bands! lolz

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Well, we're the complete opposite. lolz

I love DRI and SOD. I still listen to Thrash Zone by DRI on a regular basis. That was one of my go-to bands back in high school. And SOD, being a side project of Anthrax, who were the reason I got into guitar in the first place, were a no brainer for me to get in to.

I'm actually impressed though that you are aware of those two bands. In the whole scheme of things, they're kind of obscure.

The Stooges? MC5? Now we're talking my kind of "oldies" bands! lolz

I should have clarified : I won't play those discs when my dad's travelling with me . I've been into D.R.I. and S.O.D. since 1985 when I was in high school ; a friend introduced me to them . Dealing With It is still one of my all time favourite albums ---- I usually crank that one up on my way to work in the morning , especially if I'm not awake yet ! 

Stooges , MC5 , Velvet Underground = my favourite 60's avant garde bands . I'd have to say that The Stooges Raw Power is their best album (haven't listened to any of their work past Metallic K.O.) . I actually have that album in three iterations : 1997 "Iggy Remix" ;  1995 "Rough Power" ( BOMP ! Records ) ; and the 2013 anniversary edition ( restored Bowie mix ; 2nd disc is a bootleg from Richard's , which was / is some bar in Georgia ) .