Model Cars Magazine Forum

The wrong "Actor" for the part.....

Hey, everyone!, Tina got me to watch a tv show that was on during the time I was deployed over seas......its called; "That 70's Show".  I found it to be pretty freaking funny!!  Then we got about half-way through the series (during Erics star wars obsession), and during a few following episodes, he was building Revell model kits!...……...Revell model kits that were from the mid 80's - the mid 90's!!!!!,  it was hilarious!!, and I just wanted to share something funny!...have any of you seen this, or anything else like it?!

3 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Hey, everyone!, Tina got me to watch a tv show that was on during the time I was deployed over seas......its called; "That 70's Show".  I found it to be pretty freaking funny!!  Then we got about half-way through the series (during Erics star wars obsession), and during a few following episodes, he was building Revell model kits!...……...Revell model kits that were from the mid 80's - the mid 90's!!!!!,  it was hilarious!!, and I just wanted to share something funny!...have any of you seen this, or anything else like it?!

I remember him getting a Monogram 1/48 B-17 (or maybe it was a B-24), which was around in the mid/late '70s, but it was definitely in a much newer box, not the proper original '70s box. (They should have asked me. I could have fixed them right up.)  

BTW, That '70s Show is definitely on my All Time Favorite/Best Sitcoms list, probably coming in somewhere between #5 and #7. I graduated HS in 1972 but I could definitely relate to just about everything in it. As a matter of fact, I was Eric. And I grew up to become Red. And I am not kidding at all. 

9 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Guess they needed a consultant for that fact!

Kind of like movies set in a certain year and yet there are newer cars in the scenes that weren't even "built" in that year. Funny.

I do believe in the movie, "American Graffiti", there is a 1967 Impala parked along the curb, and that movie is supposedly set in 1962!

Mods if this is to outa bounds  do what ya gota do

This is a pic of Raquel Welch auditioning for the role of Mary-Ann for Gilligans Island

Tina Louis was hot back then but in my eyes RW has her by a mile

5b79ff0a5b413_RaquelWelch.jpg.4b17f1addd22f214a455b73d54d1b214.jpg

Edited by Spruslayer
spelling

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I remember him getting a Monogram 1/48 B-17 (or maybe it was a B-24), which was around in the mid/late '70s, but it was definitely in a much newer box, not the proper original '70s box. (They should have asked me. I could have fixed them right up.)  

BTW, That '70s Show is definitely on my All Time Favorite/Best Sitcoms list, probably coming in somewhere between #5 and #7. I graduated HS in 1972 but I could definitely relate to just about everything in it. As a matter of fact, I was Eric. And I grew up to become Red. And I am not kidding at all. 

I also was eric who turned into red...our group had a kelso and wse even had a kid named hyde with curly hair:D

1 minute ago, Spruslayer said:

Mods if this is to outa bounds  do what ya gota do

This is a pic of Raquel Welch auditioning for the role of Mary-Ann for Gilligans Island

Tina Louis was hot back them but in my eyes RW has her by a mile

5b79ff0a5b413_RaquelWelch.jpg.4b17f1addd22f214a455b73d54d1b214.jpg

Tina Louise was Ginger, Dawn Wells was Mary Ann(and hotter than Raquel Welch I think).

1 hour ago, jeffdeoranut said:

I also was eric who turned into red...our group had a kelso and wse even had a kid named hyde with curly hair:D

Hyde was an amalgamation of several of my friends. My group didn't have a Kelso but I can think of at least one guy in our class who qualifies. I WISH I'd had a Hot Donna living next door. :wub:

The movie "Super 8" was released about 7 years ago, but its set in the late '70s.  One of the lead characters builds models, and I recall one scene where there's a Monogram 1970 GSX kit in the background in his room.  Of course, this kit wasn't released until the late '80s, I believe, so that momentarily took me out of the movie.

I suspect that the movie producers specifically picked that kit because it's about the closest thing they could find to the yellow '68/'69 Skylark driven by the girl he has a crush on (which she "borrowed" from her drunken father).

Aside from that moment, the rest of the movie felt pretty accurate to its time period (didn't notice any other anachronisms), and I realize at least 99.5% of the people who saw it never would have picked up on that one moment.

The movie itself was watchable, but not great in my opinion.  However, I will say it's one of the few examples in recent years where model building was depicted in an absolutely normal and positive way, and figures prominently in the film.  The "Two and a Half Men" example above was just one more way for the producers to depict the character of Alan as a childish dope, which often is par for the course when model building is featured in movies and television.

Still better than the one "Criminal Minds" episode I remember, which featured a serial killer who built models and dioramas, and it was a key factor in showing what a freak he was...

In the 80s movie "Mr. Destiny", Jim Belushi's character builds model cars and he's a normal guy.

The movie "Easy Money", Rodney Dangerfield's character builds model airplanes to avoid smoking and gambling. He has a nervous breakdown while building a Messerschmitt. Sounds about right for airplane builders (LOL:lol:)

It's a very funny scene!

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Red is my favorite character!......if only the world had more of him!!!

I happened to catch a short scene from a South American telenovela many years ago; one character had a model of a Porsche 911. The other character, the villain of the scene, said words to the effect of "Remember how I used to break your toys when we were little?" and proceeded to stomp on the Porsche - which promptly exploded like a land mine and blew him to bits! tango_face_grin.png.0d1583777b597950aedeaf896138e7c9.pngtango_face_grin.png.0d1583777b597950aedeaf896138e7c9.pngtango_face_grin.png.0d1583777b597950aedeaf896138e7c9.png

I guess he did remember. (Tulio, do you recall seeing this?)

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Hyde was an amalgamation of several of my friends. My group didn't have a Kelso but I can think of at least one guy in our class who qualifies. I WISH I'd had a Hot Donna living next door. :wub:

believe it or not we had a hot donna next door and THREE hot donna sisters across the street-unfortunately NONE of them gave us the slightest bit of attention...the hottest one now lives in the next door house with her lady friend and her mom lives in my old house:angry:

10 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Red is my favorite character!......if only the world had more of him!!!

Growing up in the '70's (I would have been about 10 years younger than Eric), I think that most Dads WERE Red Forman. Every once in awhile, you had a Bob, but most of the time- they were Red. I spent a fair amount of time in back alleys (hanging out while my Dad would help a friend repair their car), on barstools, auto parts stores & in junkyards before I was 10 (thanks to my Dad and my Grandpop), and I had a few uncles who, while they were mostly gruff, slightly mean (meaning: they obviously enjoyed teasing little kids sometimes), and imposing - they still cared when it counted. We were always looked out for, even if we didn't know it.      

1 hour ago, CapSat 6 said:

Growing up in the '70's (I would have been about 10 years younger than Eric), I think that most Dads WERE Red Forman. Every once in awhile, you had a Bob, but most of the time- they were Red. I spent a fair amount of time in back alleys (hanging out while my Dad would help a friend repair their car), on barstools, auto parts stores & in junkyards before I was 10 (thanks to my Dad and my Grandpop), and I had a few uncles who, while they were mostly gruff, slightly mean (meaning: they obviously enjoyed teasing little kids sometimes), and imposing - they still cared when it counted. We were always looked out for, even if we didn't know it.      

My folks were more like the parents on The Wonder Years. Right down to the mom's permed hairstyle. Dad had a little Major Nelson (Larry Hagman on I Dream of Jeannie) in him, too. 

3 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

My folks were more like the parents on The Wonder Years. Right down to the mom's permed hairstyle. Dad had a little Major Nelson (Larry Hagman on I Dream of Jeannie) in him, too. 

That is too funny! These shows have a great way of coming up with prototype characters. I think we all become the dads from these shows in one way or another.

Like the old joke in the Looney Tunes cartoon with Charlie Dog- "I am 50% Mike Brady, 50% Red Forman, 50% Bob Pinciotti, 50% Murray Goldberg..." 

"The Goldbergs" is another one that I like to watch- it doesn't hurt that it's set in Philly in the 80's, like my life was... 

Now- back to Donna. We had a Donna in our neighborhood. Sandy. She was a good 10 years older than me, but she made an impression :)

She always drove cool cars, too. She had a really nice 1976 Grand Prix, black with Rally wheels, a dark red interior and matching pinstripes...  

52 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

That is too funny! These shows have a great way of coming up with prototype characters. I think we all become the dads from these shows in one way or another.

Like the old joke in the Looney Tunes cartoon with Charlie Dog- "I am 50% Mike Brady, 50% Red Forman, 50% Bob Pinciotti, 50% Murray Goldberg..." 

"The Goldbergs" is another one that I like to watch- it doesn't hurt that it's set in Philly in the 80's, like my life was... 

I can relate to a lot of The Goldbergs, too, even though it's at least a decade behind me. 

Now I'm Jay on Modern Family. I have a younger, hot Latina wife (Gloria), who brought a son to the marriage (Manny), who grew up to be gay (Mitch), and our daughter is a loud, bossy blonde (Claire). Our son doesn't have a direct counterpart, but he has the brains and romanticism of Manny and the goofiness and offbeat humor of Luke and Phil.  

I always enjoy catching anachronisms, even if they do "take me out of the movie" for a second.  Just recently on TCM I was watching a movie filmed in the late 1960s, but set in the 1940s.  (And can't remember its name...)  The producers did round up a lot of Forties cars. But in one scene two characters are standing at a traffic light...with a very visible '67 Plymouth Fury behind them. 

The true-crime stories on ID Channel are a big fave of mine, but their use of stock footage makes me LOL sometimes.  A recent show was set in Indianapolis, but one street scene showed the Van Nuys Pawn Shop.  Van Nuys is in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles (and the hometown of Dodger great Don Drysdale).  On another show where the crime happened in Georgia, IIRC, the police cars in some footage had the very distinctive LAPD door shield and markings.

Edited by Mike999
goof