Model Cars Magazine Forum

Constitution Class Starship

6 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Back for a second look. Still looking great. 

Thank you Scott. I hope to get some more photos posted soon.

On 10/5/2018 at 7:38 PM, Jim N said:

Great work David.  I am glad to read that you are getting the airbrush working the way you want it to.

Thanks Jim, me too.

David G.

Sanding, filling, sanding and repainting- here they are. Not perfect, but I can live with the results.

Starship_28.thumb.jpg.aadef0de3e9594bfbdc2600c75dd18b6.jpg

"Kep-tin. we hev waarp power!"

Starship_29.thumb.jpg.b701c84c260a17a2df7ce05b548c0f59.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look.

David G.

Edited by David G.

Nothing against your build, but that kit like AMT's old one is full of inaccuracies. The panel and grid lines are a major one. The studio model never had engraved lines, just lightly penciled in ones. The decks under the bridge are not quite shaped right, the Polar lights 1/1000 kit and the 1/350 kit get it right, and looks to me like the front of the secondary hull is a bit too long and not shaped quite right, also the inter coolers on the rear of the warp engines are too thin and not shaped correctly. You are doing a nice build however.

Edited by Classicgas

8 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Really enjoying seeing this come together. Still looking great.  :D I believe Mr. Scot would approve.

image.jpeg.d3ef6f635c0354a0bd6c92b427501ab7.jpeg

Thanks Bill, glad to know that you're still with me on this (so far) 5 week mission. 

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Nothing against your build, but that kit like AMT's old one is full of inaccuracies. The panel and grid lines are a major one. The studio model never had engraved lines, just lightly penciled in ones. The decks under the bridge are not quite shaped right, the Polar lights 1/1000 kit and the 1/350 kit get it right, and looks to me like the front of the secondary hull is a bit too long and not shaped quite right, also the inter coolers on the rear of the warp engines are too thin and not shaped correctly. You are doing a nice build however.

Thank you for the compliment Lee.

I struggled with the thought of addressing or correcting those points and a few others as well.  But I had to ask myself what I was actually building. Was I building a replica of the model built for filming the television show? If so, which version? Or was I building a representation of a fictional starship from a 50 year old television show?  I chose the latter.

If I ever did decide to buy and build a model of the Enterprise, this one would probably not be my first choice. But as I mentioned earlier in the post, this is a gift from my son and I'm glad that he was thoughtful enough to select a subject that I would actually enjoy working on. My plan is to give it to him on his birthday in December.

Again, thanks for the compliment and thanks for taking the time to share it.

David G. 

9 hours ago, Classicgas said:

You are doing a fine job, in no way are my comments on the kit a reflection of your work. Very touching that you are going to give it to him.

No worries Lee, I completely understood what you meant. 

David G.

• 3 weeks later...

I know that it's been a while since I posted an update, but applying all the decals and assembling the ship was a slow process and didn't much lend itself to photo journalism. Now that she's finished, here she is in all her glory.

Enterprise, Shmenterprise! This is the Potemkin, named after the general, the town or the battleship, take your pick.

Starship_30.thumb.jpg.b57fd7a496774cb5f482ced0756157e3.jpg

Just gotta love those classic lines!

Starship_31.thumb.jpg.e27e2bb174a92c065f72bf9aea4db2be.jpg

Beauty shot.

Starship_33.thumb.jpg.5ce3339f7e6631b682d475fcd6271656.jpg

Left to right.

Starship_32.thumb.jpg.daae9207841f419da7c352ec7606f3f0.jpg

From stem..

Starship_34.thumb.jpg.bc1fc2e9ac7df539bbf988198fc24b8a.jpg

...to stern.

Starship_35.thumb.jpg.b8d308d22e51ce4e9526573e917476e3.jpg

Standard orbit.

Starship_36.thumb.jpg.f89121230623ce18c43a209837e6945e.jpg

Photoshop Phun!

Starship_37.thumb.jpg.09ce4e72d46f57a1ac742669969833f4.jpg

This project was definitely a learning experience. There are, obviously a number of fundamental differences between wheeled vehicles and starships and how they are put together. These differences are reflected in the structure and assembly of this, and I presume, other similar kits. At first I found these differences a bit intimidating but I worked through them and learned a little.

As always, thanks for all your comments and support.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Typo

Really nice build and excellent photography.  I have never really been a Star Trek fan, something about Captain Kirk's overacting turned me off.  So I have one question about this starship.  Was there a radome to cover the antenna on the forward underneath pod?  Not really sure how aerodynamic that open dish would be at warp speed, nor how well it would hold up at that speed.  Just a thought about the technical issues of this ship and in no way detracting from your excellent build.

22 minutes ago, afx said:

Turned out great David.

Thanks JC

12 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

Really nice build and excellent photography.  I have never really been a Star Trek fan, something about Captain Kirk's overacting turned me off.  So I have one question about this starship.  Was there a radome to cover the antenna on the forward underneath pod?  Not really sure how aerodynamic that open dish would be at warp speed, nor how well it would hold up at that speed.  Just a thought about the technical issues of this ship and in no way detracting from your excellent build.

Thank you for the kind comments Rick. 

Nope, there never was a radome covering the front sensor array. There is no air in the vacuum of space so aerodynamics are not a concern. The saucer section can supposedly detach in an emergency and is capable of limited atmospheric flight. In that case, the secondary hull and warp nacelles would remain in space unless they fell from orbit and burned up during reentry. 

David G.

6 hours ago, David G. said:

Thanks JC

Thank you for the kind comments Rick. 

Nope, there never was a radome covering the front sensor array. There is no air in the vacuum of space so aerodynamics are not a concern. The saucer section can supposedly detach in an emergency and is capable of limited atmospheric flight. In that case, the secondary hull and warp nacelles would remain in space unless they fell from orbit and burned up during reentry. 

David G.

Yep, forgot about the space vacuum.  Thanks for clearing that up.

11 hours ago, Jim B said:

That turned out great!  Very well done.  I like the Photoshop shot.

Thank you James.

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

Wow! The Potemkin turned out great. I'm impressed David. And I'm with you on your comment about those loving "those classic lines" of the original Constitution design. Later Star Trek ships are nice, but they just don't have the clean, classic beauty of Matt Jeffery's originals.

Thank you Scott, I'm glad you like it. I agree, Mr Jeffries laid the visual foundation for almost the Star Trek universe.

David G.

23 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Turned out quite well in spite of the kit's inaccuracies. Yes sir, the original TOS ship is the best of all, no matter which name you give her.

Thank you Lee. If I ever get a chance to build the 1:350 version, I'll add a light kit and correct all the inaccuracies... or at least as many as I can stand to do.  Then I'll have to find a place to put that monster.

Maybe I'll use it to make a movie of my own.

David G.

34 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Actually the only inaccuracy in that kit is the engraved saucer lines. While lighter than the Revell kit they are still wrong. The real filming model had lightly penciled on lines.

True, but the pencil lines were a simple way to indicate panel lines that the "real" starship would likely have had. So one has to consider whether one is making a replica of the real model of the fictional ship or a replica of the fictional ship as it would have appeared (with panel lines) in real life.

Hmmmm... :)

David G.

1 hour ago, David G. said:

True, but the pencil lines were a simple way to indicate panel lines that the "real" starship would likely have had. So one has to consider whether one is making a replica of the real model of the fictional ship or a replica of the fictional ship as it would have appeared (with panel lines) in real life.

David G.

That made my head hurt. :blink:

5 hours ago, David G. said:

David G.

True. I would be doing a model of a model, as that is the ship to me lol.