Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hachette American Collection

Gramps46

To quote Tom Tanner (FChat, Scale Designs) on the quality, "Very good quality, I dare say as good as Tamiya in shape. The Vintage Collection have no opening features and are for collectors. Several other model series by Hatchette do have opening features but are still top quality."  

I have 3 from the Hatchette Vintage Auto Collection of English cars and agree with Tom's opinion.  Though the E Jag is mislabeled. 

I do agree with Ranma that the American selection is a bit strange.

100_1091.JPG.08ce421abd43136265346aa9fbbf9716.JPG

13 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

I've looked at a lot of the Hachette diecast for sale on eBay. Prices are all over the place. 

Same here. I saw prices from about $11 up to the $70 and $80 range. 

3 hours ago, ranma said:

That's Odd ! I see at least 4 cars that were already die cast  by either Ertl, JL, M2 Machines,Welly and Maisto

Yeah, for that reason I probably wouldn't be interested in the '69 Camaro or the '65-66 Mustang. Got plenty of both of those (unless these are CHEAP, which I'm kinda doubting). The boat-tail Riv is unique but just doesn't appeal to me, nor does the '80 (?) Trans Am. Might buy the Maverick if it looks good and doesn't cost too much (no more than an M2). I like the '67-'69 Cuda and would definitely be interested in that (don't have one in diecast) if the price isn't too bad. 

What's the brown thing in the upper right corner? A '70s GM Colonnaide of some kind, but I can't quite make out make or year. :wacko: That could be interesting. 

And the "fine print" at the bottom of the page mentions a "C3" Corvette, but it's not shown. Could be interested in that, depending on exact year and price. :huh:

4 minutes ago, ranma said:

After checking on die cast I added these notes to the Op's Photo

5bca0a816a05f_AmericanHachette124.PNG.d1aecf21349586e2f8e7e4566ba6e6e8.PNG

M2 also does the '66 GT350 and the '69 Camaro (several variations of each) and First Gear also does the '69 Camaro. All of these are so nice I wouldn't be interested in these new ones unless they're VERY cheap. 

33 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

M2 also does the '66 GT350 and the '69 Camaro (several variations of each) and First Gear also does the '69 Camaro. All of these are so nice I wouldn't be interested in these new ones unless they're VERY cheap. 

I have read where they are 19.99 E in France and come with a booklet describing the 1:1 car but are only sold via subscription or on newsstands.

On 10/20/2018 at 10:28 AM, Snake45 said:

What's the brown thing in the upper right corner? A '70s GM Colonnaide of some kind, but I can't quite make out make or year. :wacko: That could be interesting.

Definitely a 73-77 Chevelle.  Judging by the big quarter window and what looks like lower body striping, I'm thinking it's a 1973 Chevelle SS!  If they get the proportions down correctly and manage to actually make it 1/24 as they claim (or even better if it's underscale at 1/25), I'd snap up a bunch of those bad boys, IF I could get my hands on them!

Also quite intrigued by that boattail Riv, once again the key question is how they do on the proportions and details.  That one's been tough for even some of the best resin casters to get done well.

That '72 Gran Torino and the Maverick also have my attention.

Edited by Robberbaron

I have several of Hachette's European cars, I'll post some pictures in a bit. The details are very well done, smooth paint, the tampos are very clean. Some details like the wipers are more delicate than most kits.  Little to no chassis detail though.  But if you like 70's, 80's European cars they are (to me anyway) worth the money..

I've had good luck with  Gwenjemaelle on eBay, usually some where between 30-50$ plus shipping. They do combine shipping and are fairly quick, 3-4 weeks. I know, kinda pricey, but where else are you going to find a Renault 12 Gordini or a 68 big Benz. I've also picked up a couple from Russian ebayers, a little cheaper but longer ship times and could be a gamble.  Definitely going to order the boat tail if it pops up.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me explain...

These magazine 'Partwork' collections are completely localised, i.e. when they run them in - say - France, they aren't available anywhere outside France.
The only way to get them is from vendors on eBay, or some other online outlets. You can't even subscribe from abroad.

They have been ongoing for quite some time and it was the Italians who started the first 1/24 scale series about ten years ago.

Each of those series is preceded by a 'Test' series, which is even in its issuing country only available in certain areas, or by subscription, and usually consists of five to ten models. If the 'Test' is successful, a fully fledged series may follow, which usually consists of 50 - 100 models.

Albeit only in Spanish, here is some quite comprehensive information regarding the 1/24 series hitherto issued anywhere in the world: http://diecast24.blogspot.com/2017/01/colecciones-de-kiosco-escala-124.html

Sometimes certain models from one series make it into another one, like e.g. the Maverick GT, which had been part of a test series run in Brazil last year.

If you are interested in examples of the French series, you can order them here for the issuing price plus postage: https://www.journaux.fr/auto-vintage_vehicules-miniatures_7_1_458398.html

I have pretty much the entire series and pool my orders with three to four other collectors to save on postage. We order once a month, so among us we get ten to twelve models at a time that way, which cuts postage to practically insignificance once it's shared between us.

Hitherto the French dealer has been 100% reliable.