Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

6 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Straightliner your camaro looks great. Nice job.

Thank you, Bob! It went from "I don't know what to do with it", to basically done, just like that! The stripes went on pretty easily, thanks to the way the One Shot flows, and covers. It's the only way to go, for something like that.

Hey there,

I kinda feel bad that I ditched you guys back in R3, but I'd like to get back in with my 64 Tbolt. I started this years ago as a build of a Jairus Watson drawing that I liked. Got as far as painting it and stalled out (actually the second stalling of this project.) I am back at it hot and heavy with a different paint job. If you'll have me, I'm in.

http://File0005-vi.jpg

http://Models023.jpg

http://IMG_20171025_072145610_HDR.jpg

Last two photos are as of today.

Later- 

IMG_20191001_150000600.jpg

IMG_20191004_142613485.jpg

55 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

Hey there,

I kinda feel bad that I ditched you guys back in R3, but I'd like to get back in with my 64 Tbolt. I started this years ago as a build of a Jairus Watson drawing that I liked. Got as far as painting it and stalled out (actually the second stalling of this project.) I am back at it hot and heavy with a different paint job. If you'll have me, I'm in.

IMG_20191001_150000600.jpg

You're in! And you're Number 8, which means I jump in ROUND 5 IS OFFICIALLY ON! 

ROUND 5: FINISH DATE DECEMBER 31, 2019

Straightliner59: SS/GT Firebird

#1 Model Citizen: '49 Ford Tudor

Dave Branson: RMR Resin Van

Misha: ‘49 Ford

Tom Geiger: Trabant 600 Panel Wagon

Prostreeter69: Pro Street Bronco

Bobthehobbyguy: Ghost Rider Corvette

Modlbldr: '64 Tbolt

Snake45: '66 Chevelle

Okay gang, GITTER DONE! 

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

I may have just ruined the paint on my Firebird. If that's the case, it's a dead player!

Make lemondade. Strip it, murder it out (matte black everywhere), and call it a street outlaw. Improvise, adapt, overcome! B)

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Make lemondade. Strip it, murder it out (matte black everywhere), and call it a street outlaw. Improvise, adapt, overcome! B)

Nope! I'm  convinced I can fix it, having taken a look at it. It took the ol' double whammy! On the way outside, to shoot clear on it, as I was opening the front door, something caused the body to leap from the paint stand, right to the tile floor, below. Off comes the spoiler, with chunks of paint missing, in three places. I placed small bits of tape, to surround the holes in the paint, re-primed that, and have shot some red, over that One more coat of red should suffice. Then I can peel the tape and see if I can live with it. Then I can re-stripe the spoiler and clear coat that. As for the body, it was apparently none the worse for wear, so I cleaned it up, and cleared it. I must have been feeling a little too relieved, because I shot a little too much clear on the second coat, on the right hand side of the car, and slightly wrinkled some of the One Shot. In a couple of days, I'll wet sand the entire body (anyway) and, touch those stripes up, if necessary. Hell, it wasn't going to win any "Best Paint" awards, anyway. I like the door graphics I designed for it. too much, not to finish it in this scheme! It might take me three weeks to get it finished now, instead of two!

Edited by Straightliner59

Started this SCRambler sometime back in early 2012. Some major life changes got in the way and I boxed it up.  Just dug it out a couple days ago and am trying to get it finished.  Added connector bars between sub-frames for more rigidity to help control the BBC I am using.

SCRambler 019.jpg

SCRambler 031.JPG

Here are a couple more pictures.  Scratchbuilt the headers out of solder and the cross-ram manifold from bits of styrene and putty.  The valve colors are chrome without the purple tint.  HEI distributor is white metal from R&D Uniques, wish I could find a couple more.

SCrambler 036.JPG

SCrambler 040.JPG

Edited by TarheelRick

And the final two for this morning.  The door and window cranks are pieces of wire to replace the poorly identified kit items.  The original idea was to build a street freak, that is why the full exhaust system, front springs are from an AMT 40 Willys kit axle is scratchbuilt.  Rear slicks and steel wheels are parts box.

SCRambler 053.JPG

SCRambler 054.JPG

1 hour ago, NothingAsFineAsaW9 said:

Yikes be waiting to see the return of the Firebird

Thanks, Vince. Like I said, I think I can fix it. Here are a few photos:

The yellow arrows show where the damages occurred to the spoiler. The ellipses show a spot where the blue stripes "bubbled" on the hood. There are a few spots in which that happened. It's not good, but, it's not nearly as bad as I first feared. I believe some wet sanding will clean it up, a lot. I will smooth out the areas on the spoiler, as well, and redo the stripes, on it.

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0033cr.jpg

Still plugging away on mine. Been working on getting the paint smooth but I have a spot on the passenger side rocker that decided to bubble up. I've sanded it down, washed it and resprayed the area twice and still it comes through the fresh paint. Today I sanded it down again, washed it and sprayed it for the third time. Then I brushed a coat of paint over it. Once it dries this time I'll lightly sand it without sanding through and call it good. Got the wheels and tires glued in place.

I am looking for an aftermarket source for a distributor that looks like this so I can squeeze it in below the top pulley. Any leads?

Later-

Screenshot_20191014-112442.png

Not much of an update except to say that this build has been a pain. I finally got the paint as smooth as I want and went to shoot a coat of clear on the body. I accidentally grabbed the can of Testors White Lightning instead. 

So I shot a complete coat of pearl clear over the body and after 5 minutes I shot a final (yeah right) coat of the Go Mango to cover over the pearl. Into the dehydrator for 10 minutes and then shot my first coat of Wet Look Clear. Everything back to normal! This thing is going to have so much paint and clear on it that it will end up 1/24 scale instead of 1/25.

Later-

IMG_20191015_140900344.jpg

On 10/14/2019 at 12:39 PM, Modlbldr said:

Still plugging away on mine. Been working on getting the paint smooth but I have a spot on the passenger side rocker that decided to bubble up. I've sanded it down, washed it and resprayed the area twice and still it comes through the fresh paint. Today I sanded it down again, washed it and sprayed it for the third time. Then I brushed a coat of paint over it. Once it dries this time I'll lightly sand it without sanding through and call it good. Got the wheels and tires glued in place.

I am looking for an aftermarket source for a distributor that looks like this so I can squeeze it in below the top pulley. Any leads?

Later-

Screenshot_20191014-112442.png

Take the crab distributor from the flathead in Revell's '32 Tudor Sedan and glue it on top of the regular distributor from the same kit. You will have to take off a little off the bottom of the flat head crab distributor and a little off the top of the regular one, but you should end up with a pretty close copy of what is in the picture. 

• 3 weeks later...

Knock Knock?   No updates from anyone in two weeks?

I have not touched my Trabbie yet. I have been distracted by bright shiny objects!

At the recent Diversified Scalerz show I found an old built up Blue Beetle and am in the process of completely restoring it to much better than new!   And yes it has the correct Caddy script valve covers!

15 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Knock Knock?   No updates from anyone in two weeks?

Yeah, the paint mishap kind of took the wind out of my sails. That said, the Firebird is still sitting petty much front and center on the workbench, just waiting for me to wet sand. I lost another chip of paint off the spoiler, and am waiting for a chance to get the hardware store to pick up a can of shellac. Don Fahrni ran into a problem like this one, and was able to brush shellac into the chipped-out area, sand that off level, then tape and respray the area. When he was done, you couldn't tell. Of course, he was Don Fahrni, and I am just...well...me!