Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

29 minutes ago, dave branson said:

I started this in 1991

Wow! 28 years in the making, How does it feel to have it done? That's a perfect example of a dead build If ever there was one... I've had builds in my mind that long but never on my bench... lol! Good Job getin done... and good luck at the show...

7 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Wow! 28 years in the making, How does it feel to have it done? That's a perfect example of a dead build If ever there was one... I've had builds in my mind that long but never on my bench... lol! Good Job getin done... and good luck at the show...

Great to finish the T/A, however that is not my oldest started build I have several from the 80's.

On 9/18/2019 at 4:22 PM, Tom Geiger said:

image.png.39987819576c1d8c46418ad68b8cf5a6.png

Not entered in the project, but an old long dead project finally completed!  Full report in the link below.

I am hoping to finish my 50 Ford Jitney by the end of this month.  Scratch the '57 Nomad, I haven't touched it!

Tellya what, Tom, completions have been few this round, I'm feeling generous, and I'd like you to feel good enough to hang around for the next round, so I'm retroactively registering you for this one and awarding you SECOND COMPLETION of the round. 

Which reminds me, time for an update, and looks like we're finally starting to make some progress this round: 

ROUND 4: FINISH DATE SEPTEMBER 30 2019

Prostreeter69: Pro Street Bronco

Bobthehobbyguy: ’32 Ford 5-window MAKING GREAT PROGRESS! GETTER DONE!

Dave Branson: '70 Trans Am FIFTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Tom Geiger: '50 Ford Truck, 57 Nomad, Camper trailer SECOND COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

SamIAm: '56 Chevy

NAFAW9: HO scale Freightliner

#1 Model Citizen: '49 Ford Tudor

Disconovaman: '69 Chevelle THIRD COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! '55 Ford pickup FOURTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Straightliner59: '93 Firebird

Snake45: '69 Camaro NEARING COMPLETION, '65-'66 Vette

70 Grande: '67 GTO

SuperbirdMcMonte: '58 Impala FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Less than a week to go, gang! GITTER DONE! B)

image.png.0b8cc9590e4cb5c3ca3e3ada3faaa310.png

I work from home so I commuted upstairs to the model room for my lunch hour today...  above- fender unit glued to chassis, with completed cab in background.  Below- roof glued to jitney body.

We are at that point of "glue one item, walk away until it dries".  Hoping to finish it up by tomorrow evening to bring to the Diversified Cruiserz show on Saturday.

image.png.5914cc5ee1e31ec5fb09d61233d856ee.png

On 9/17/2019 at 12:29 PM, disconovaman said:

all while refinishing old furniture... (my new hobby)

Thanks Tom, We're moving to a new house tomorrow. sold the old one as of today... We couldn't really afford new furniture peices so we've been buying old stuff and breathing new life into them. kinda like my passion for someone else's old build ups you know, turning them into my own. I've been enjoying the furniture restorations because the wife gets into it too.

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

(You didn't explain the photos of furniture in the earlier post though! ?  )

These peices were junk that we upcycled for our new house. ?

12 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Thanks Tom, We're moving to a new house tomorrow. sold the old one as of today... We couldn't really afford new furniture pieces so we've been buying old stuff and breathing new life into them. kinda like my passion for someone else's old build ups you know, turning them into my own. I've been enjoying the furniture restorations because the wife gets into it too.

Congrats on the new house!   And old furniture is restorable and much better built than the press board garbage they sell today!  I have a bunch of ancient pieces in my home!

Ok I'm calling this done. Needs a couple paint touchups and radiator hoses but I'm happy with it. Krylon short cuts lemon yellow and tamiya bright orange wheels.

Not perfect but looks a lot better than sitting in the need to finish pile. will do an under glass post when I get a chance. Will try to get some better photos taken also.

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

Yea Bobby!   Lookin' good!  And congrats on the finish!

And I'm here to report....

image.png.7f84ee779ad3416e6ea60e486a9b45e8.png

Done!  It fought me every step of the way... in fact last evening we gave "off the bench" a new twist.  The body I was holding separated from the chassis which went tumbling.  It took me a half hour to find all the parts, and most of the morning to get back to the same place I already was!   But as of 10pm this evening, she's sitting in the place of honor in my family room, gassing out until morning when she gets packed up to debut at the Diversified Scalerz Show!    And as you can see  Barney Approves!

Full set of pictures in the Pickups Under Glass section, probably after the weekend!    

After being unable to decide how to add the red to this project for a couple of years, and knowing that's what has kept me from finishing this thing when I threw in for this round, I finally decided that i would just start ripping tape, and applying it to the body. I ended up with what you see, here. I kinda' like it, but, wish I'd had a better idea of what I wanted to do, when I started. At some point, I will probably stripe, around the graphics. First, it will set them off. Second, I can use them to hide a multitude of sins! I'm thinking either One Shot Process  Blue, or Black. Still some work to do to the wheels. I am going to try something new, with the side windows. Comments, questions, critiques always welcome!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0019cr.jpg

DSC_0020cr.jpg

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

After being unable to decide how to add the red to this project for a couple of years, and knowing that's what has kept me from finishing this thing when I threw in for this round, I finally decided that i would just start ripping tape, and applying it to the body. I ended up with what you see, here. I kinda' like it, but, wish I'd had a better idea of what I wanted to do, when I started. At some point, I will probably stripe, around the graphics. First, it will set them off. Second, I can use them to hide a multitude of sins! I'm thinking either One Shot Process  Blue, or Black. Still some work to do to the wheels. I am going to try something new, with the side windows. Comments, questions, critiques always welcome!

DSC_0020cr.jpg

It looks fine! Drive on and GITTER DONE! (Tomorrow's the deadline, folks.) B)

I just realized that I neglected to congratulate Bobthehobbyguy and Tom on our SIXTH AND SEVENTH COMPLETIONS! GOTTEM DONE! B)

We are closing strong! For a while there I thought this whole BOYD build idea was dead, but you guys have really come through in the final hours. I should be completing my Camaro today, and it looks like Straightliner59 will finish his Firebird, so we could end up with 8, 9, or even more completions this round, which is right on track with what we accomplished in Rounds 1-3!

GITTER DONE! 

Edited by Snake45

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Weird! I came here to post, and...no reply box! Tried it three times, never got one. Had to hit the quote to get one.

Anyway...

My '69 Camaro is finished--GOTTER DONE! It doesn't really look like what I had in mind when I started the build, but I'll tell that story later Under Glass. Here's one quick pic just to show it's on the shelf: 

69CamaroBlueMaxi04.jpg.0c9f0fc008431c249023dac091f9b60b.jpg

Well, I am not going to  make it, this time. It took me too long to figure out what I wanted to do, and not just get to painting. Like I said in the previous post, I couldn't come up with an idea, so I just started ripping masking tape, and covering areas of the body. I like the way it looks, but, it's just too crude for me to accept it. I did, however, try the technique I mentioned for the window. I used PhotoImpact Pro to draw a black out for the windows. On the driver's side, I drew a window net. I then used white glue to stick it on the inside of a piece of clear sheet, cut to fit.  It's just another way to add  interest to a slammer (if it's a modern race car). I also got my decals drawn up and printed,  but, I need to fix the paint, first. Sorry, Snake! If there's another round, count me in, and I will get 'er done!

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

Thanks Tom... I have alot of work to do in the coming months, I may be able to declare a build but for now I'm just gonna enjoy the progress on the other Boyd builds. I'll try to get one goin if I can get set up here at the new place soon, we'll have to see, lotta work to do like I say.

And a fine effort to all the participants we have really turned this thread into my favorite... BTW... the Firebird wins for almost gettin done, Nice job on the work thus far...

Screenshot_20190930-180645.jpg

8 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Thanks Tom... I have alot of work to do in the coming months, I may be able to declare a build but for now I'm just gonna enjoy the progress on the other Boyd builds. I'll try to get one goin if I can get set up here at the new place soon, we'll have to see, lotta work to do like I say.

And a fine effort to all the participants we have really turned this thread into my favorite... BTW... the Firebird wins for almost gettin done, Nice job on the work thus far...

If you're referring to my Firebird, thank you very much, Anthony. If we venture into another round, I will be finished, by the deadline, for sure!  If that's your new shop room, that will be awesome! Like an attic studio. I've always thought it would be cool, to have a place, like that.