Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

52 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

I've been thrashing all night, and, until now. I gotta get some sleep, but, I am calling this DONE!

3DSC_0006cr.jpg

WOOHOO! Good for you! And I'm coming down the home stretch on my '65 Riv! B)

Here's the last-minute update for Round 3: 

RobertW: Hasegawa Lockheed Neptune

Straightliner59: Junior Fueler Dragster SEVENTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! AND WHAT A BEAUTY!

BelugaWRX: Wolf WR1

Mod3lLover: Mustang

Dave Branson: Fujimi BMW H5 FOURTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to Chaparral 2D FIFTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE Moving on to '70 Trans Am

NAFAW9: HO scale Boss 302, HO scale Freightliner WITHDRAWN WITH HONOR

Geemoney: ’34 Ford

Disconovaman: Probably some kind of pickup—’55 Ford?

Bobthehobbyguy: ’32 Ford 5-window

Bandit1: Peterbilt 377

Prostreeter69: ’48 Ford SIXTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Snake45: ’66 Chevelle, '65 Riviera EIGHTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

SuperbirdMcMonte: '70 Monte Carlo FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to Austin Gasser THIRD COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '58 Impala

Modlbldr: '65 Mustang

Cdubya: '55 Chevy SECOND COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

JunkyardJeff: '34 Ford truck

RemingtonBox: Nissan GTR

Tom Geiger: '50 Ford pickup MAKING GOOD PROGRESS! COMING RIGHT ALONG!

I just finished up the '65 Riviera and hope to have pics up soon. The clock is ticking! If you get finished by midnight tonight, post so stating, and then get one or more pics up in the next couple days. 

Who's up for Round 4? 

Edited by Snake45

6 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I've been thrashing all night, and, until now. I gotta get some sleep, but, I am calling this DONE!

Wowee! Those realistic gray tones and polished metal look especially good.

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

WOOHOO! Good for you! And I'm coming down the home stretch on my '65 Riv! B)

Thanks, Snake. I see you got the Riviera done, too. Excellent! Thanks for these BOYD deals. It inspired me to put in about six months of the most intense effort I've ever put in, on a model, and I looked forward to it, every day. I had a lot of fun!

27 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Thanks for these BOYD deals. It inspired me to put in about six months of the most intense effort I've ever put in, on a model, and I looked forward to it, every day. I had a lot of fun!

That is EXACTLY the idea, SL59! And I'll have to make an exact count, but I think that since we started these things late last year, we've seen somewhere between 20 and 30 models FINISHED and on the shelf that probably otherwise wouldn't have been. Way hella cool! B)

Got a project picked up for Round 4? 

Meanwhile, here's a couple quick pics of The Riv (only 50+ years in the making). Will do a full writeup Under Glass at some point, I hope. Long story short, was going for sort of a musclecar/NASCAR-ish badassitude spin on a street custom. Not 100% sure how I feel about the blacked-out front fender "pods," but it's something I've wanted to try for a long time. I can always re-do them some other way later. 

65RivieraGB66.jpg.57fc5fb88bda89dad638c179b5e3171c.jpg

65RivieraGB72.jpg.d191a259017615cfcf9a6ef5167e31de.jpg

First off congrats to all that have finished.

Unfortunately. I didn't make the deadline but did manage some significant progress. In fact the primary reason  this projext stalled was coming up with an interior.

Chassis rear axle is from wagon rod which has been narrowed. Modified  Front axle from  Revell 32 Ford. Wheels and tires from revell 29 pickup rat rod. Engine flathead from Amt 41 woody.

Interior seat from parts box and cut down dash also from parts box. Have templates for interior for door panels I plan to match the pattern from the seats. Firewall is from Revell 32 ford.

A few more things to wrap up and then on to paint.  Will finish this up for next round. Have a second project a johan maverick done as a tribute to Hank Borgers angry man pro stock which needs painting and detailing.

Good luck to all who are trying to drag their projects over the finish line

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1059.JPG

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

That is EXACTLY the idea, SL59! And I'll have to make an exact count, but I think that since we started these things late last year, we've seen somewhere between 20 and 30 models FINISHED and on the shelf that probably otherwise wouldn't have been. Way hella cool! B)

Meanwhile, here's a couple quick pics of The Riv (only 50+ years in the making). Will do a full writeup Under Glass at some point, I hope. Long story short, was going for sort of a musclecar/NASCAR-ish badassitude spin on a street custom. Not 100% sure how I feel about the blacked-out front fender "pods," but it's something I've wanted to try for a long time. I can always re-do them some other way later. 

65RivieraGB66.jpg.57fc5fb88bda89dad638c179b5e3171c.jpg

Not 100% sure how I feel about the blacked-out front fender "pods," but it's something I've wanted to try for a long time. I can always re-do them some other way later. 

I think they look cool! I would leave them as-is. Nice concept, Snake! Neat model.

Not yet. I need a couple of days to unwind. :D I do have options, though!

Edited by Straightliner59

Nice work on the Riv!   I remember when I was a kid, my parents friend had one and I didn't think it had headlights.  I worried about driving it at night!   

I didn't make the deadline with my '50 Ford truck.  Sign me up for the next round!   It really doesn't have all that much work left, but we'll see how July goes.  My daughter will have the twins this month and I see at least one more trip to the west coast! 

Also, sign me up with that '57 Nomad I promised Sam I'd work on!

3 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Shout out to Snake on starting this thread.  Think we all have projects that have stalled for one reason or another.  Its nice to get a push to finishing up those projects.  

Thanks so much. I"m just glad that we're able to encourage each other to get these long-suffering Shelf of Doom projects done. I took a count from the rosters last night and it looks like since we started, we've finished 25 models! 

Plus, there's two more I want to recognize as "Honorary Completions." CanCon finished the nice '67 Pontiac he had in Round 2, but didn't sign up for Round Three. Nevertheless, he GOTTER DONE! Similarly, SuperbirdMcMonte completed a project this round that he didn't "officially" register but would have qualified if he had. What was that, SMcM, a Nova, I think? (Special Thanks also to Superbird for the resin Riviera hood, without which I might not have been able to complete the project on time.) 

So this is what I am planning on joining in with. I am going to live with the paint and try real hard not to notice the sink mark's that did not get filled properly, that and the bad glue job under the trunk lid.  If I strip it, it will  never get finished...

Thinking about sticking with the deep dish rims, and repainting the small block and adding the tri-carb setup. Maybe even no side trim....

20190701_150856.jpg

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Good to have you aboard, Sam! Looks like we have five in already. Just three more needed, and then I'll jump in and it's Game On! B)

I will give it a go. I've got at least 1 or 2 "quick" builds I need to finish. Don't want to tackle something too time consuming as summer is calling so I will start off with a Lindberg 1:32 '49 Ford Tudor. Will post pics after round 4 becomes official.

So here's where we are for the possible ROUND 4: 

Prostreeter69: Pro Street Bronco

Bobthehobbyguy: ’32 Ford 5-window

Dave Branson: '70 Trans Am

Tom Geiger: '50 Ford Truck, 57 Nomad

SamIAm: '56 Chevy

NAFAW9: HO scale Freightliner

#1 Model Citizen: '49 Ford Tudor (Need to post start pic for “official” entry)

Disconovaman: “Definitely in” but needs to declare project and post start pic for “official” entry

Straightliner59: Possibly in with black race car (not official yet)

...So we have nine interested but only six "officially" declared and entered. As always, we need eight, and then I jump in for #9 and it's Game On. 

So, anyone else got something waiting on the Shelf of Doom that you can GITTER DONE? 

MVC-009SMVC-011SMVC-014S

Here's photos of the Nomad.  This work was done back in the late 1980s. In fact those photos were taken in my old NJ backyard and I haven't owned that house in 9 years!  I've pulled her out and started to review the status.. 

Edited by Tom Geiger