Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

New page, which means it's Update Time. 

Round 3: FINISH DATE JUNE 30 2019

RobertW: Hasegawa Lockheed Neptune

Straightliner59: Junior Fueler Dragster MAKING STEADY PROGRESS!

BelugaWRX: Wolf WR1

Mod3lLover: Mustang

Dave Branson: Fujimi BMW H5 FOURTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to Chaparral 2D

NAFAW9: HO scale Boss 302, HO scale Freightliner MAKING PROGRESS! 

Geemoney: ’34 Ford

Disconovaman: Probably some kind of pickup—’55 Ford?

Bobthehobbyguy: ’32 Ford 5-window

Bandit1: Peterbilt 377

Prostreeter69: ’48 Ford

Snake45: ’66 Chevelle, '65 Riviera MAKING STEADY PROGRESS ON BOTH!

SuperbirdMcMonte: '70 Monte Carlo FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to Austin Gasser THIRD COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '58 Impala

Modlbldr: '65 Mustang

Cdubya: '55 Chevy SECOND COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

JunkyardJeff: '34 Ford truck

RemingtonBox: Nissan GTR

Tom Geiger: '50 Ford pickup

I'm quite embarrassed to say that I haven't been able to get any model car work accomplished for awhile.  Yesterday was the club meet and the first time in a month since l touched a model. I gotta get back on the horse. lol!

No excuses but I currently have my house listed for sale and with all the small repair projects and cleaning up, just been too busy with goings on around here... 

Here is what I dug out and will try to get back on before the month's end... with any luck, thanks guys... 

Also letting my fellow club menbers down isn't the norm for me but they are still busy building and that inspires me...

Screenshot_20190526-102055.jpg

Screenshot_20190526-102122.jpg

Screenshot_20190526-102137.jpg

Screenshot_20190526-102201.jpg

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Straightliner59: Junior Fueler Dragster MAKING STEADY PROGRESS!

I have the body fitted. I have a couple of quick things to finish, that will require pulling it off, one last time, then, I can mount it, for good! I am hoping to have the rear wheels mounted, before I go to bed, tomorrow morning! Then, it's on to finishing the front wheels...

4 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I'm quite embarrassed to say that I haven't been able to get any model car work accomplished for awhile.  Yesterday was the club meet and the first time in a month since l touched a model. I gotta get back on the horse. lol!

No excuses but I currently have my house listed for sale and with all the small repair projects and cleaning up, just been too busy with goings on around here... 

Here is what I dug out and will try to get back on before the month's end... with any luck, thanks guys... 

Also letting my fellow club menbers down isn't the norm for me but they are still busy building and that inspires me...

Screenshot_20190526-102201.jpg

PLEASE tell me you're not even THINKING of building that nice, rare '65 Chevelle AWB body in that outrageous, unrealistic, illegal stance. :blink: PLEASE tell me it's just random parts that happen to be sitting together. :wacko:

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

PLEASE tell me you're not even THINKING of building that nice, rare '65 Chevelle AWB

It's not mine, it belongs to a member of the local club I'm in. He's got like 10 of those ultra rare 65 chevelle kits. And he does some pretty weird stuff so I wouldn't put it past him... lol! I'm not even exaggerating either This guy has more than 6,000 kits in his bacement... it looks like a warehouse full of models! here is proof of the Chevelles!

image0000001.jpg

image0000001.jpg

As apparent ringmaster of this circus I am awarding an HONORARY COMPLETED to Can Con for his '67 Bonneville. He enrolled the car in Round 2 but unfortunately not for Round 3 (unless I missed a post--if so, someone tell me). It's great to see it completed, one way or the other. GOTTER DONE! B)

image.png.3ca6e13f6fc8956eda775bc44287ce5d.png

Been working a bit...  this is a 1950 Ford Jitney bus like you'd take for a tour of a tropical island.  The back was made from sides of the Monogram Tom Daniel Paddy wagon many years ago. I was away for the entire 3 day weekend so I got to sit down for a bit over my lunch hour today.

I stared at it for quite a while.  Then I mocked up the seats inside after many different ideas.  And here it is with the roof mocked up on it.  

image.png.22951d43da8591cccc664fbe7fae8bad.png

Since the last update, I have added the "rollout" plate, fashioned some tabs for the body, (although the one on the right side of the car has disappeared inside the cockpit, somewhere), added the mag kill switch and wiring and got the steering set up.I also installed the valve covers,which really look tall, with the spacer plates under them. Apparently these SBC cars used tall cams, so, the valve covers had to  match, and this was a few years before Moroso's stamped aluminum covers came along.  She's rolling! Getting very close to doing the induction setup. I have already begun working on the manifold. She's gettin' done, Snake!

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

’65 Riv update: Couple guys told me they’d send me the hood I need for the Riv, but none was forthcoming, so I starting trying to cut down and adapt a hood from the ’66 Wildcat.

65RivieraGB46.jpg.8a3b55bf60a1e64b73c38e54dd1008ae.jpg

65RivieraGB50.jpg.3b99ad5a8a24d1290c5710ac9df01389.jpg

And then, the day after I made the cuts, Superbird McMonte (My New Favorite Person) came through with a pair of resin copies. These were not only adequate, they’re magnificent, easily on par with the best resin I’ve ever seen from the likes of Modelhaus, Motor City, etc. All they required was just knocking the razor-edge off the borders; fit is absolutely perfect. GREAT BIG GIANT THANKS TO SUPERBIRD!B)

65RivieraGB52.jpg.021ad98d79fffe8bcf9e99b6871693fc.jpg

The Riv is now in primer (Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, smoothed with #600 wetordry).  Paint to follow soon.

Meanwhile, work continues on the ’66 Chevelle. If you’ve never built this kit (or tried to), this pic might not look like much, but it represents about three evenings of work. The hood has a HUGE hole in it, into which fits an insert piece with the base of the snorkel-like pro stock scoop, which I didn’t want to use. The insert doesn’t fit very will, with big gaps on all three sides. I liquid-cemented it in place, cut and filed off the snorkel, then filled the gaps with LocTite Superglue Gel (ask for it by name!). This stuff has the amazing property of taking on the color of whatever is around or under it, so the whole front end looks like one solid piece in this pic, even though it’s not.

66ChevelleMono16.jpg.21ac29db319a94a35a0af1ac83bf493f.jpg

A peek at the underside shows the insert—where it is and how big and so forth.

66ChevelleMono19.jpg.ccd65329da77b5ac68b6b52552e76eac.jpg

So here's where it is now--I hope to get at least primer on it this weekend. 

66ChevelleMono15.jpg.abb6c71dd72535797089373e060eaae0.jpg

17 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

And then, the day after I made the cuts, Superbird McMonte (My New Favorite Person) came through with a pair of resin copies. These were not only adequate, they’re magnificent, easily on par with the best resin I’ve ever seen from the likes of Modelhaus, Motor City, etc. All they required was just knocking the razor-edge off the borders; fit is absolutely perfect. GREAT BIG GIANT THANKS TO SUPERBIRD!B)

Always glad to help a fellow modeler!?? 

9 hours ago, Lordmodelbuilder said:

Digging the look of both your cars Snake. Might have to get myself a Riviera kit to build. Are the wheels on yours from the kit or?

They're from one of the many reissues of the AMT '62 Corvette. They're the closest thing I had on hand to the Astro Dish wheels in the original issue (I don't know what happened to my originals). I don't know what wheels are in the latest reissue. 

Usually I paint the "dish" of such wheels flat aluminum or flat steel, but I think I'm gonna leave these in Blingy Chrome, at least for a while. They seem to fit the vibe of the car. (You'll see when it's done.) 

Non-progress report!  My '50 Ford pickup project is ticking me off!

I had bought a number of different hardware store type paints in yellow since the original builder told me that's what he used.  This was my quest to match the light yellow on the truck.  Not to happen!  Anyway, since I already owned the paint, I squirted Krylon Indoor / Outdoor Bauhaus Gold onto the fender unit.  It has a banner across the can  "Dries in less than 10 minutes"  Bull Hockey!

getPart?uid=ACu2C19NeFDuXPp9XAJGCKWULdc&partId=4&saveAs=IMG_1698.jpg&scope=STANDARD

getPart?uid=ACu2C19NeFDuXPp9XAJGCKWULdc&partId=2&saveAs=IMG_1699.jpg&scope=STANDARD

As in "Whey We Don't Mess With Cheapo Paint".   The instructions state to recoat within 10 minutes or after 24 hours... which right there tells you it ain't dry!   I waited more than a day and then recoated.  Paint immediately crinkled up.  So I took a deep breath.  Waited a few days and sanded it all out.  The fenders were originally painted last Friday.  I sanded them out on Monday and shot them again yesterday.  Still some issues.   The hood was a different story.  The red is Duplicolor, which dries dull and needs a clear coat.  The hood was the worst.  Both second and third coats, with massive sanding in between went crazy!

So I have spent a week screwing around with this $4 can of paint.  I'm kinda stuck right now since I don't want to start all over, but if I had done it all Duplicolor or Plasticote,  I'd be done and onto final assembly!   Argh!

And don't be telling me  "buy a dehydrator"  because I won't be needing it.  I won't use hardware garbage paint again!  It's all automotive paint, or model paints from here on out.

Edited by Tom Geiger