Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

7 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Sorry to say I won’t be finished. I ran out of  the semigloss clear I needed for the final finish.  

That and other things..  first planning for NNL East, then worrying about have to cancel, then actually cancelling and setting the whole thing up again for September.  Then the Coronavirus concerns all kept me out of the model room.

And don't forget your "Isolation 500" Chevy truck build on Facebook. That ate up time, too. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

And don't forget your "Isolation 500" Chevy truck build on Facebook. That ate up time, too. :lol:

That’s what got me back in the swing!  I’m putting in a few hours a day on that one and find it helps my attitude. Still I could kill to sit at my favorite pub with an order of wings.

Got the EMPI Imp done! Only time for a couple quick POD (Proof Of DONE!) pics now; hope to have full glamour shots Under Glass in the next day or two. (Got a BUNCH of new build photos to take tomorrow.) Yay me! :D

EMPIImp118.jpg.df4c28b9b7e34b3a51f494bf27d980eb.jpg

EMPIImp119.jpg.a33df30f8f35c5912343285603c55357.jpg

With that said, I took some time out and printed pink decals for my Boxart truck... Although there is alot more still to do, I feel like I'm heading in the right direction now. My updates in the last 8 hours are Interior, engine, printing and applying decals, BMF work (almost done) and a quick build up to see how it's gonna look.

It's not finished yet but no reason to rush it  now.  It's too high in the front and too low in the back... exactly how it sits OOB (metal axel's and a plate chassis).. It never bothered me before but now I have to fix it. I've had this kit for over 10 years so I want to be happy with the end result. I'm gonna build a separate frame with more detail and a better ride hight, along with some other changes too. 

Thanks to everyone for keeping this Awesome thread going. I'm hoping that the saga continues. ?

Screenshot_20200331-184119~2.png

Screenshot_20200331-183909~2.png

Screenshot_20200331-183612~2.png

25 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

With that said, I took some time out and printed pink decals for my Boxart truck... Although there is alot more still to do, I feel like I'm heading in the right direction now. My updates in the last 8 hours are Interior, engine, printing and applying decals, BMF work (almost done) and a quick build up to see how it's gonna look.

It's not finished yet but no reason to rush it  now.  It's too high in the front and too low in the back... exactly how it sits OOB (metal axel's and a plate chassis).. It never bothered me before but now I have to fix it. I've had this kit for over 10 years so I want to be happy with the end result. I'm gonna build a separate frame with more detail and a better ride hight, along with some other changes too. 

Thanks to everyone for keeping this Awesome thread going. I'm hoping that the saga continues. ?

Screenshot_20200331-183909~2.png

DNM, based on that pic you could declare that one DONE and get on the scoreboard this quarter, as far as I'm concerned. Looks DONE to me. It's as DONE as most of my "finished" models these days. 

Or you could roll it over into Round 7 if you want, since you didn't have this one in round 5 and so are eligible for your one extension on it. I'll leave it up to you. B)

4 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I'll leave it up to you. 

Thanks bud, I didn't bother painting this chassis I didn't want to waste the paint since I'm not using it. It's done to an extent until I build the new frame. But there is some more work to do...  I'm gonna keep stabbing at it til it's finished. 

I'm thinking about starting with the blazer frame? my model room is a disaster too so I've got to get some order before I continue. Round 7? Wow! That's successful, I'm in but I'll let you know with what kit as I have so many...

I was just thinking about this topic, Bring Out Your Dead, the other night; should I do it? 

Last summer my fathers workshop (where all my old model kits were stored) developed a major leak and a lot of kits got damaged and some vintage boxes I dearly loved got ruined - but luckily none of the ones that got ruined were mine as a kid in the 1980s. I bought those big clear plastic tubs and moved everything out of dads old workshop and into my own family's attic and my dry man cave. It's one of those kits I brought back from my parents house I'll bring back from the dead.

I was 15 in 1988 and got this kit for Christmas. I'm sure my father picked it out, probably because he had one as a kid. He knew it had the retractable roof, he knew the body came in four pieces, not like the one piece bodies I was used to. He probably thought it'd challenge me. He was probably disappointed that I never showed him the completed model.

The thing was complex; the retractable roof had a lot of pieces, the rear deck hinges were delicate and could be broken easily, and I never could get the goddam four piece body to stay put together... until today, 32 years later. If my dad were still alive I think I would've called him today and told him about it.

There's a few broken parts, and the front glass is ruined (at some point years ago I tipped over a bottle of Testors silver paint into the box and doused the windshield and tires with it. But I'm going to work with it. The photo below is exactly how Ieft it right after Christmas in 1988. So here we go, the Revell Skip's Fiesta Drive-In '59 Ford Galaxie Starliner:

IMG_9581.jpg

Edited by gwolf

Got the ghost rider ready for paint but just haven't gotten that done. 2019 just didn't start well for me.  My insurance company decided they weren't going to renew my home owners policy which meant I had to scramble to find one that would. Then I realized I needed to get myself prepared for the virus impact. Been chipping away a some things that needed to be done around the house. Finally getting my head into getting some modeling done. Hopefully there will be a round 7. Have plenty of projects begging to be finished. In the mean time need to wrap up the vette.

Snake,

To me,  the importance of this thread was to inspire me to resume and keep working on a very long term project.  While there may be someone else on the forum with a longer standing WIP than mine (39 years) I suspect that I am right up there. 

One more round and I really do think I can bring mine over the finish line.  And there is one other on my shelf as well...a dormant but modest in comparison 22 year old build.  So, if you are game there are a few of us out there. 

Thanks for starting this up in the first place.

Eric 

I’ll be in again, God knows I have unfinished projects!  I’ll have to find something  I can work on with supplies I have on hand. I used the last of my putty on my 1960 Chevy pickup frame! 
BTW, the title of this build may not be that funny in the upcoming weeks ?

45 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I used the last of my putty on my 1960 Chevy pickup frame! 

If you go to Walmart for groceries (still allowed!) go over to the auto parts section and check out putties. I've been having REAL good luck with something I bought there. I think it's 3M Red. Works well if used in THIN coats. 

4 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

If you go to Walmart for groceries (still allowed!) go over to the auto parts section and check out putties. I've been having REAL good luck with something I bought there. I think it's 3M Red. Works well if used in THIN coats. 

Good idea!  That will be a lifetime supply of putty if I remember the size of that tube correctly! 
I may be headed to Wally for prescriptions tomorrow.

Here's how we finished Round 6: 

ROUND 6: FINISH DATE MARCH 31, 2020

Dave Branson: Porsche 959 (at least one, maybe two!)

Bobthehobbyguy: Ghost Rider Corvette

Disconovaman: Chevy Stepside truck

Straightliner59: SS/GT Firebird MAKING GREAT PROGRESS!

Tom Geiger: Trabant 600 Panel Wagon 

Bernard Kron: Interested but specific project not declared

Misha: ‘49 Ford SECOND COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Lghtngyello03: Chevy Cameo pickup

SuperbirdMcMonte: '70 Dodge Coronet THIRD COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '57 Corvette. FOURTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Snake45: EMPI Imp MAKING GREAT PROGRESS! FIFTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

#1 Model Citizen: '49 Ford Tudor special exemption extended from Round #4-5; deadline is January 31 FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE 1/31!

Eric Macleod: L-29 Cord

So we had five completions, down one from Round 5 but not completely dead yet. :unsure:

BTW, if I'd had the presence of mind to declare it and post a BEFORE pic, I could have counted this '69 Firebird this round, as I started it over two years ago and last month got overcome with the urge to finish it off. 

69FirebirdDC11.jpg.87d3b6c6214fc85cfb9612e3974cf776.jpg

But I didn't so I don't get to count it. Oh well. More pics and details on the evil thing here: 

So are we gonna have a Round 7? Completion date would be June 30. Sound off if you want to play. We need eight players to move on. B)

Edited by Snake45

Im in. The 40th anniversary of the 1930 Cord build will be June 29 so the June 30 cut off is great inspiration.  

By the way, I wanted to run my first marathon before I was 30. I made that goal by 21 days so I should be good!

Edited by Eric Macleod
Correction

Trying to decide on a project myself. Possibilities include: 

'66 Skylark Craftsman

Revell '69 Camaro

Revell '69 Nova 

AA/Altered based on the frame in the IMC VW Beetle

'66 Mustang "high school hot rod"

'66 Mustang fastback funny car

Hmmmmmm.....

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

Is this the old 1/24th kit molded in red with the opened canvas sun roof?

No, I believe it's 1/25. At least it was sold as such. This one (my old one) is molded in white though I have seen one molded in red. No sunroof. The doors open, too. 

The drag version was billed as "AA/GS," but it's clearly an Altered, not a Gasser. 

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I have seen one molded in red. No sunroof.

I picked up this one at the swapmeet last month... I heard someone say it was an old IMC VW ??? but I've never seen the kit or the box. This one is the only one I've seen this complete.

It's a multi-piece body but seems pretty simple... I don't know what my plan is for it yet... I like it better than the Revell kit. I've tried to build the Revell kit before but never liked the the outcome.

The Polar Lights VW is better than the Revell kit I had a Herbie PL  it has the opening hood and I think it's the same kit as the Harley Quinn version currently out... 

Anyways, does anyone have information or knowledge about this kit?

Screenshot_20200404-102449~2.png

Screenshot_20200404-102341.png