Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Greased Lightning '48 Ford 'Vert

stavanzer

Here is the Build review. Thanks to Chris Phillips (H.P.I. Guy)

I am really let down by this kit. I've gotten all the Revell '48 Fords. But this kit, just seems 'phoned-in'..... New Grille, Wheels and the bumper. Some just "average, decals." Since all of the work on this was done prior to Blitz buying Revell, they cannot be blamed for this kit being so "Blah". But nonetheless, it strikes me as a weak effort. I'll stop my '48 Ford buying here. I hope that others like it better. I'd like to see the period Hop-Up parts from the chopped coupe, married to the Stock Coupe or even back in this 'Vert, with a better vibe.

47 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Are there trim rings for the stock wheels?

Please, watch the video Alan posted. Chris' review videos always show the contents at the very beginning.

This has always been an excellent kit, originating as a Revell-Monogram Pro Modeler kit in 1998. There are review topics here on the forum and elsewhere for the closely related Revell '48 Ford Custom and Coupe kits, too.

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

Please, watch the video Alan posted. Chris' review videos always show the contents at the very beginning.

This has always been an excellent kit, originating as a Revell-Monogram Pro Modeler kit in 1998. There are review topics here on the forum and elsewhere for the closely related Revell '48 Ford Custom and Coupe kits, too.

I did watch it, and he used the custom wheels, and if there were trim rings they weren't on the part of the chrome tree he showed to the camera, which is why I am asking.

On 11/20/2018 at 7:45 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

I did watch it, and he used the custom wheels, and if there were trim rings they weren't on the part of the chrome tree he showed to the camera, which is why I am asking.

There aren't any trim rings included.

Edited by Casey

2 hours ago, dbostream said:

I know Testors released a '48 Ford convertible many years ago, is it any good? Or is this one better?

I'd stick with the Revell version, the Testors is based on the old IMC model which was first released back in 1965.

On 2018-11-20 at 7:32 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

Are there trim rings for the stock wheels?  Also pondering how much work would be involved in making a Sportsman version.

wa0614-185436_2.jpg?1402764186000

You would need to grab a set of rear fenders from an AMT '41 Woody (Sportsmans used the SD fenders, wagon should be close), and use sheet and strip plastic for the rest. It would make for a great looking build though.