Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 288 GTO Spyder

Dann Tier

While waiting for things to dry on my Pagani build, I was thinking about how cool a 288 Roadster would look. Since my special kit No.9 had a screwed-up bonnet vent, I decided to use it as my test model. I discovered that all the kits I've had molded in the red plastic ALL had the same warped bonnet vents, so I decided to try the white plastic kit No.105, since a friend told me his was fine.....so I ordered two white ones, and they were both fine!   What I learned here, is that if you don't want to use the PE vents.....which I don't, then you want NOTHING to do with the kits molded in red. Anyway, I will be playing around with this here and there in between builds. 

165743-12266-pristine.jpg

• Dann Tier changed the title to Ferrari 288 GTO Spyder

Quite a few cars that have been made into Spyders, Roadsters, or convertables, tend to have slightly different looks to them than the original versions. Since the vent was all warped, and broke when I tried to fix it, I decided to customize it with two individual vents.

-Photo 2; I'm using a scrap piece of styrene to help assure that the center section gets lined up properly.

-Photo 4; The center section fit in perfectly. 

-Photo 5; I needed to add another thin piece of styrene to fill in the low spot.

DSCF7063.JPG

DSCF7053.JPG

DSCF7054.JPG

DSCF7055.JPG

DSCF7056.JPG

DSCF7061.JPG

DSCF7062.JPG

DSCF7088.JPG

DSCF7096.JPG

DSCF7094.JPG

DSCF7095.JPG

DSCF7097.JPG

BORING! Another one of those ordinary Ferrari 288 GTO Mondial builds... :P

Wait! What did I just say? Of course it's not a Mondial, as it's not a 2+2 seater... So shall we call it 288 GTS? :D 

A great idea and stunning SB work so far, Dann! Looking forward to see more...

I have that kit, still sealed (I think), now I need to worry about the vents?  I also have the Fujimi 1/16 scale kit, but I would never do this to it.  Many years ago, the AZ Copperstate Rally stopped in Prescott, took a couple pictures (with the SLR and slide film, that's how long ago) of a vintage GTO that was a convertible, will do that to one of my kits.  Look forward to seeing this come together!

3 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

BORING! Another one of those ordinary Ferrari 288 GTO Mondial builds... :P

Wait! What did I just say? Of course it's not a Mondial, as it's not a 2+2 seater... So shall we call it 288 GTS? :D 

A great idea and stunning SB work so far, Dann! Looking forward to see more...

LOL!!…….thanks, Tommy!!

1 hour ago, 89AKurt said:

I have that kit, still sealed (I think), now I need to worry about the vents?  I also have the Fujimi 1/16 scale kit, but I would never do this to it.  Many years ago, the AZ Copperstate Rally stopped in Prescott, took a couple pictures (with the SLR and slide film, that's how long ago) of a vintage GTO that was a convertible, will do that to one of my kits.  Look forward to seeing this come together!

If you do have this kit No.9, Kurt, then you don't have to worry about it, because it secretly comes with a substantial size PE fret, that includes replacements for all the vents......I just prefer plastic over PE whenever I can.

I got a bunch more of the bodywork done...

-Photo 1; Even though I was careful, I still managed to break the windscreen frame across the top. I decided to temporarily glue a spare windscreen into place while I work on the body. 

-Photo 2; Here you can see where I taped it in, using my favorite canopy glue. Once it was dry, I took some styrene strip to go most of the length of the cross-bar. Its one of those times that i'm glad it broke, because it made me add this piece, which is also a great....easy locator for the windscreens positioning.

-Photos 5-6; I decided that I didn't want the standard gas lids, so I filled them in. I have some really nice PE ones that I will use. I also attached the side vent parts so that I can blend them in.

Usually I don't paint my bodies first, so that I can test-fit, and tweak things if I have to, but in this case, i'm going to do it first. I just don't know what kolor yet. I do know that it WONT be red!!

DSCF7098.JPG

DSCF7100.JPG

DSCF7099.JPG

DSCF7101.JPG

DSCF7102.JPG

DSCF7103.JPG

2 hours ago, afx said:

My humble opinion for color:

Image result for ferrari 288 gto yellow

Yellow is a good choice. Would make for a nice contrast with a dark interior color in this OPEN car! 

By the way, did you guys ever see one drive, I mean REALLY drive (very sorry, it's a RED one, Dann...)? :D

Edited by Tommy124

12 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Yellow is a good choice. Would make for a nice contrast with a dark interior color in this OPEN car! 

By the way, did you guys ever see one drive, I mean REALLY drive (very sorry, it's a RED one, Dann...)? :D

Freaking AWESOME video, Tommy!!...thanks for sharing!!!!