Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Plain Jane Camaro

Kmb0319

I’ve  certainly got a thing for 1st generation Camaros.  I first built 2 of the Revell 67s, then an AMT 68, a Revell 69 COPO, and now I’ve completed one of a dual 69 project, which consists of a 69 Convertible and a 69 SS 396 coupe with a vinyl top.

When I built the convertible, I was struck by thec decal sheet, with Z28 stripes, SS hockey stripes and even the D96 fender stripes, each in 2 mocolors.  (Side note: since this sheet exists, WHY can’t Revell just drop it in all versions of the kit??)

Anyway, the decal sheet inspired another build.  I decided I wanted a plain 69 Camaro with the D96 stripes.  I bought the age-old 69 Z28 RS, with the metallic blue box art.  Of all of the versions Revell has put out, this one is the worst.  The parts are all the same, but this one has a terrible decal sheet.  It doesn’t even have gauge decals, and it’s the only one I’ve ever seen without those.  No underhood decals either... Z28 stripes and license plates are it.

I didn’t have parts to do anything with the engine, so the 302 cross-ram is in there, but everything else is garden variety standard Camaro.  I wired the engine and used big and little Goodyear Polyglas GTs, as the rear was droopy and needed larger tires in back to level it off.  The paint is Duplicolor Inferno Red.  Hope you like and Happy Holidays everyone!

Engine... my 302 sitting next to the 396 for my SS coupe:

3EF0221E-391D-4667-80C2-DA65968DA0B7.thumb.jpeg.66e568a61e92463597113ef646a1bb91.jpeg

Interior:

1640832E-5279-4CFC-90C7-AFF5E592F01B.thumb.jpeg.5ea85b1a2f2b5c30f8c091f895e8b623.jpeg

Done:

BAD273EA-08E1-46B1-9B14-112586395CF3.thumb.jpeg.8b9ec677d2f71fc0ded7f6cac53f30e9.jpeg

E2E853CB-C7BB-4F75-BB89-3362AC82FAD8.thumb.jpeg.9afcf033ebc8753b8d0c8e709124b71c.jpeg

3FE1BA13-C5B0-4778-BC0D-861FFBA6052C.thumb.jpeg.42913e8d83d58bf09d4f416fcd82c4ed.jpeg

61E070B4-1EF7-454D-9DB6-0394F095C130.thumb.jpeg.8a63629610a2abb78664c03040166618.jpeg

I realized on the photos I’d forgotten to paint the amber and red into the side marker lights and do the emblems with my chrome pen... I fixed it after I took them.  Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

Really nice looking Camaro. Looks almost to nicely trimmed to call it a Plain Jane. If in the future you need a single 4-barrel carb. for a small block the "69 Nova SS kit has a nice single 4-barrel  and the correct cast iron stock exhaust manifolds. 

9 hours ago, Kmb0319 said:

WHY can’t Revell just drop it in all versions of the kit??)

Mostly Marketing and Sales strategy, If Revell were to add other option decals to all kits maybe they wouldn't sell all versions equally. example, if the COPO had the stripes then most buyers who want the big block will but that version opposed to the Z28 version. but the decal sheet for the Z28 forces buyers to buy that kit. I think it's smart and no doubt it's been a good decision factoring in that the kit being the all time highest selling model kit.

9 hours ago, Kmb0319 said:

this one has a terrible decal sheet.  It doesn’t even have gauge decals, and it’s the only one I’ve ever seen without those.  No underhood decals either... Z28 stripes and license plates are it.

Because the Z28 was the first kit released in the series being 1990, at a time when modelers weren't demanding gauge decals or model companies weren't listening, one or the other. I know it wasn't a big deal to me to have gauge decals or under hood decals. I was just happy to have an accurate 1/25th 69 Camaro. The reason for the unchanged decal sheet is if sales are high, why fix something that isn't broken? If sales were low then maybe they would make certian changes to boast sales but that isn't the case here.

Yours is a Great representation of an Awesome kit, you did Revell proud. This is exactly how Revell's product development team envisioned the kit being built it's perfect... also I'm thinking that the cross ram intake could be ordered from the Factory with the 302... but it was in the trunk and had to be swapped at the dealership... rumor has it...?

I read an article around late 89 in one of the Scale auto magizines that told the story about the New 69 Camaro and it was the Blue boxart Z28 RS...  I thought the Yenko and Baldwin motion was next because the big block was tooled after the kit was out, and then the Convertible was released later on and was based on the two big block cars.

Your theory holds water though Snake, because now that I think about it... Hot Rod and Skip's Fiesta both had boxarts with the big block kits and I think that started around the late 80's... But still, how come the Copyright date on all the cars is 1990? I do know the Skip's Fiesta kits and Hot Rod series were still going strong even by 93-94... I wished I still had that issue of Scale Auto... It was a good write up about the highly anticipated 69 camaro and how hard Revell's team worked to get it to consumers. I remember the article sayin that it was the first New kit released after the Monogram/Revell merger. They were really on the move around that time. Arguably, to me the Revell Camaro is the kit that started it over for Revell and gained their reputation. No more old tools from the 60's all those opening door kits were replaced with good solid subjects like the S10 and LT1 Vette and others that came after the two companies teamed up. AMT really had to play catch up there for awhile... which made their new kits better too. We have some good models out now thanks to the Revell Camaro I think.

8 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Your theory holds water though Snake...

It's not a theory, it's a straight-up fact. Many of us had the Yenko kit (molded in yellow) built long before the Z/28/RS kit (molded in blue) appeared. Third in the series was the Baldwin-Motion, which I think was molded in red. The Pace Car, convertibles, etc. came later.

Tim Boyd's book backs me up on this. The text, anyway--the caption of the photo of the Revell '69 Camaro kits is written in such a way that it could be interpreted as meaning the Z kit appeared first if one didn't know the facts.B)

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

the Z kit appeared first if one didn't know the facts.B)

Good information to know Snake...  And to think, all these years I was lead to believe the Blue car paved the way... The Yenko must've not been promoted as well as the Z28... I've had dozens of the Yellow and Red cars too though, as well as the Convertables. I'm a sucker for all of 'em.?